Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Hallway decor help
Christa Somerville_Chase
November 5, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Looking for some traditional design ideas for my front hallway.... Paint colours, console , artwork, light fixture.
Also the small wall between patio doors and the kitchen. The previous owner put up the 2 small shelves.... They are nice but the area doesn't look finished. I wasn't sure what to display on the shelves so as you can see,I've just put up some old bottles. Ideas for there too please
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michigammemom
I would remove the slate topped console table from your narrow hallway. It impedes traffic into the kitchen. Stick with art hung at eye level.
1 Like   November 5, 2012 at 6:29AM
Christa Somerville_Chase
I agree it takes up too much space. Need some ideas for artwork, light fixture and wondering if I should place a carpet runner?
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 8:30AM
vineyardflute
If you want to add color, then a runner is fine, however it may be too narrow because of your register vent. Be sure to measure before buying. The shelves in the kitchen either need to be lowered, or another shelf added just below for balance. I would also move the table out for easier traffic pattern and add pictures instead of the mirror in the hallway. It may look nice in the entry way with baskets underneath? I think a cylinder light would look great in the entry also. Pick a bright color and incorporate it with a pilow on the bench or colored frames on the wall.
1 Like   November 5, 2012 at 9:03AM
Christa Somerville_Chase
Would you put pictures on both sides of the hallway wall?
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 9:46AM
Kim D
I agree with michigammemom too narrow for table and also Christa treating both sides of wall with artwork will give you a finished look.
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 10:19AM
vineyardflute
Christa-no, I would only put pics on one side. I find it visually narrows the space when on both sides.
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 10:24AM
decoenthusiaste
A dramatic runner that begins past the vent and a knockout pair of chandys for both ends of the hall should take the focus past some of the issues. I'd see about replacing the dark vent with a lighter beige one. Leave the demi-lune table for a pretty key container at the door and put a landing spot rug in the same family as the runner. See homedecorators.com for rugs.Simplicity and editing are prime. Try the bench and round mirrors in the family room at the end of the hallway.
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 10:29AM
victorianbungalowranch
I would put up one more shelf-ledge on the kitchen wall, perhaps with a keyrack built in, and rearrange the bottles with some low objects, and find another place for the sculpture on the counter.
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 10:40AM
anniebmw7
Yes, I agree with most of the comments here for removing the console, it takes up much of the hallway space and looks very crowding. The lower part of your hallway wall was designed the way it is so furniture wont be blocking it, go with a nice long mirror to the shape of the upper part of the wall (not exact fit but a nice long moderly framed rectangular size mirror) more stretched in size then just regular rectangle. You won't be needing a rug, would make the place look too old fashion. Where the small hanging mirror you got now...change that to small nice black and white pictures (modern simple frames). Hope this helps....
Annie
1 Like   November 5, 2012 at 10:46AM
Christa Somerville_Chase
If each side of the wall in the hall is 9' long how big or how many pieces of art work should I use? Is there a formula or rule of thumb?
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 7:31AM
Christa Somerville_Chase
Is a grouping of black and white family pics a good idea? Or should family pics be in a less public area of the home( family rooms, living rooms)
0 Likes   November 17, 2012 at 3:46AM
tennisanyone
I would take down those small shelves in the kitchen, they add nothing to the room. Put up curtains that extend a little past the door and you won't need the shelves. Or you can add a big and long chalkboard to display your menu for the kids everyday or a saying. Can't see the front door entrance where the chair is. Is that wall long enough fort the console table? Remove the console table from the hall and put up pictures on one side.
1 Like   November 17, 2012 at 4:52AM
Christa Somerville_Chase
It's not long enough for the console:(
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 1:05PM
decoenthusiaste
I prefer family pics in the family room, bedroom or distant part of the hall. We haven't seen how the family room looks. Maybe we could help relocate the console there if we knew what was going on.
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 1:11PM
Christa Somerville_Chase
I also think the post on the stairs needs some beefing up..... Is there a rule to determine how large the post should be?
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 1:44PM
anniebmw7
I don't know...but in my parents's house they have beautifully framed black and white pictures in the hall and it made so much fun just walking through it and talking about each of the moments. It's really up to you were you like pictures at, but that just makes every moment we got together even more fun and just was always something to talk about. Yeah...and have fun doing it. Hope everyone agrees....?
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 11:47PM
pegasussas
It's a beautiful hallway. It doesn't need much in my opinion. Yes, I love the idea of framed pictures. You could also think about a poem or other text. You can order almost anything you want.Also, I would do something with the backdoor glass. To me it feels a bit like coming in but being on your way out at the same time. Just an in-between curtain could do the trick for me.
1 Like   November 21, 2012 at 1:08AM
PRO
Barn Light Electric Company
We love your traditional style! Is there any way to space out the shelves a little more? If the bottom shelf could be lowered, I'd recommend adding more vintage goods that coordinate with the bottle collection--like a clock!

For traditional lighting, have you thought about using Schoolhouse style lighting? Our Mayfield Semi-Flush Ceiling Light has the classic schoolhouse glass, but is compact enough for smaller spaces. Here's the listing: http://www.barnlightelectric.com/pendant-lighting/wall-and-flush-mount-lights/mayfield-semi-flush-ceiling-light-hudson-valley-vintage-classic-colonial-victorian-lighting.html

Another sleek fixture is the Benjamin Bomber Stem Mount. You can opt for a shorter stem length to have a flush fixture. Plus, the porcelain enamel finish will look so clean and shiny--lots of reflection in the small space. Here's the listing: http://www.barnlightelectric.com/porcelain-lights-goosenecks-pendants/benjamin-stem-mount-lighting/benjamin-17-bomber-porcelain-stem-mount-light.html

Pegasussas had a great suggestion with image of clustered frames. They would look very nice on both walls. We'd recommend mix and matching frame styles, but unifying them with a solid coat of paint.
1 Like   November 21, 2012 at 7:10AM
ejly
I like the colors and use the same in my hall. I agree, get rid of the table it doesn't help the space. I'd recommend deep framed art on a single side of the wall with lighting above it - the lighting makes a big difference. Consider putting a wreath on the door to draw the eye down the hall and up.
1 Like   November 21, 2012 at 7:16AM
Christa Somerville_Chase
I like the ideas:) I've thought about adding a vintage style clock to the back wall with the shelves or adding another shelf.
The space is 40" wide from the upper cabinets to the door casing. The shelves are each 12" long
0 Likes   November 22, 2012 at 9:24AM
Ann Marin
Gallery walls, get rid of the console, and add 2 rugs in a bold pattern-- like a chevron, geometric or stripe, a runner for the hall and a square or round for the front by the door. Punch it up!
1 Like   November 22, 2012 at 9:44AM