powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
bathroom idea - what's missing? wrong? Feedback welcomed!!
pdubsk
November 5, 2012 in Design Dilemma
something appears off with the bathroom outlook but I can't place it. Working with what I have - couldn't afford complete renovations yet so made due with what I had :(
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michigammemom
Right away I notice the oak baseboard that doesn't match the white painted molding at ceiling height. I also feel like the stick-on mirrors are also not a good fit with the elegant damask wallpaper and pretty black and white photo. I would also suggest spray painting the brass light fixture to match the towel bar and faucet.
9 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 10:43AM
PRO
Stoneshop
I agree with michigammemom's comments about the mismatched baseboard and stick-on mirrors. I would also suggest switching out the outlet cover for a more elegant one, as well as the vanity pulls.

You have made some lovely changes--you're on the right track :)
3 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 10:48AM
redheadedwmn
Looks great so far! Argee with above posts to add the finishing touches...
-paint gold light fixture silver
-change outlet and outlet cover to white
-change cabinet pulls to something nicer
-maybe a sleek candle in silver holder instead of the floral accent on the counter
2 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 10:52AM
PRO
Browning Custom Trim and Interior
I agree with above comments also. To me the cab doors and pulls and sink stick out the most. Your definitely on the right track. Small steps.
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 11:11AM
sofaspud
My opinion: baseboards should be white, lose the mirror circles (perhaps replacing with a classic French print?), consider a different ceiling light fixture (the three-bulb early American style clashes with the French Damask treatment), change out the outlet to white and I think the gray paint is a bit on the greenish side and isn't a good match to the black/white Damask--but that may just be the way it presents in the photo. I would also like to see more elegant (perhaps French-style to go with the wallpaper) cabinet pulls. Seems like a long list, but they are all small changes. Trust your instincts.
2 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 11:20AM
PRO
Euro Style Lighting
We would love to help you with lighting. Maybe a couple pretty sconces and different ceiling light? Let us know if you have any questions. http://www.eurostylelighting.com/bathroom+lighting-category/search.htm
1 Like   November 5, 2012 at 11:30AM
beyerschor
Paint the cabinet black!
16 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 11:34AM
lilijack101
Totally agree with beyerschor... Black cabinet will put a little drama to the room. You need a little punch of color and if you want to keep the white-gray-black, use more black. Or you could add a colored light fixture like red-orange or red-violet and match a couple of towels. Paint the framing white and take off those sticky mirrors. I think you'll have what your looking for.
1 Like   November 5, 2012 at 11:43AM
minemine
I too think you should paint the cabinet black. Perhaps applying some moulding to the doors as well will give them some added character. The wallpaper is lovely. You are headed in the right direction with this room. It just needs a little tweaking.
3 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 11:58AM
megan_barnett
I will second the above: black cabinet with new handles, white baseboard, outlet cover, and if you can switch out the light too you're in business!
1 Like   November 5, 2012 at 12:03PM
samfrogg22
I notice the oak baseboard that doesn't match the white painted molding . Also your room has great design but feels so dark and gloomy.
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 12:37PM
samfrogg22
I notice the oak baseboard that doesn't match the white painted molding . Also your room has great design but feels so dark and gloomy.
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 12:37PM
PRO
Granite Transformations
i think a that vanity could use a paint job. a dark java would look nice and I'd paint the baseboard to match the molding at the ceiling.
1 Like   November 5, 2012 at 12:37PM
djones01
All the suggestions are very good. fresher towels would also help. Maybe a little mor decorative.
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 12:55PM
Elise
Love what you have so far! Great direction and very classic also.
How about a pop of accent color? Red, orange, turquoise, or pink... New flooring in a gray slate pattern, vinyl tiles if on a budget, new glass or metal hardware on the cabinet, replacing the almond colored switchplate on the wall with a white one, and painting the baseboard also. A new faucet isn't too expensive, pick up a pretty soap pump and make the little flower vase on the counter larger and more colorful.
3 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 12:57PM
apple_pie_order
You have received great suggestions. How about a much larger piece of art to replace the stick on mirrors and small framed tree print? 16 x 20 or 24 x 36 inch in landscape format with black or white frame would probably fit nicely. Black soap dispenser and chrome or other silver metal cabinet pulls. Paint the brass light fixture white or some silver metal color so it is unobtrusive.

The chevron towels are disquieting, although their diagonal design echoes the wallpaper. I'd rather see all-black towels.
4 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 2:00PM
shellydc
I agree with alot of the above. You also might want to frame mirror with black trim. The mirror kind of fades into the wall paper.
1 Like   November 5, 2012 at 2:33PM
movethisnotthat
budget friendly ideas here...run with it. Black towels, black cabinet hardware, black tiled floor,black soap dispenser, remove the stick up mirrors, post the finished room !
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 2:41PM
PRO
Vintage Bath
Everyone has great suggestions! Definitely change the outlet cover to a bright white one, paint the baseboard white, and remove the stick on mirrors. Replace the cabinet hardware - this is an inexpensive fix. I would also suggest replacing the light fixture with something more glamourous, something that works with the wallpaper and adds the sparkle you were going for with the round mirrors. If you are willing to spend a little more, replacing the overmount sink and the faucet would help a lot. We definitely have some budget friendly options! My last suggestion would be to get some nice accessories. A nice soap pump, tissue cover, and mirrored box would go a long way towards brightening your mood when you walk into your bathroom!
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 3:08PM
mgiz1
Love all the above comments. If this is just a powder room, get rid of the bath towel and use several hand towels instead.
1 Like   November 5, 2012 at 3:09PM
PRO
Vintage Bath
One more suggestion...you could go to a flooring supplier and look for a scrap of linoleum to replace what you have. Something white, instead of yellowed beige. Good luck! Post pictures of it when you have made some changes, you are on a great track!
1 Like   November 5, 2012 at 3:12PM
PRO
Tammy Viviano Interiors
Your off to a good start but i can see a few things right away that need to be addressed. The black white and gray scheme is great and the graphic damask print wall paper work, but the brass tri-pod light fixture is sticking out like a sore thumb. A mini crystal chandelier would look so luxurios against the wall paper and the wide bevel framed mirror plus it would add a little sparkle. Secondly, I would get rid of the round mirrors on the wall and replace that little bitty piece of artwork with something like it but much larger and maybe center that on that wall instead of crowding it toward the vanity. Even going with a wider white matting and going up a size or two with the thick black frame would help. I would also suggest painting the vanity cabinet black to make a sharper contrast with the vanity top and switch out the hardware for something in a silver tone like polished or brushed nickel (what ever matches your faucet), Besides that, paint the baseboard a semi gloss white and change the flooring to something like a Carrera marble look. Luxury vinyl tile is in-expensive and goes right over the top of existing vinyl floors with little prep work (take a look at Armstrong Alterna - in fact they have a color called Carrera Marble) it can be grouted and laid in any parttern that you could create with a regular square tile.
1 Like   November 5, 2012 at 3:51PM
PRO
Tammy Viviano Interiors
I just noticed the faucet as well. I agree it needs to be updated, and I also agree the outlets should be changed to white. One other suggestion, instead of taking the circle mirrors down, why not spread them out on that wall in a fun way so that they look like bubbles floating whimsically across your wall, move the black and white art work above the towel bar (centered) and surround with the floating "bubbles" or mirrors and do this in conjunction with my suggestions above and you will have one great looking bathroom! Get some fun black or silver countertop accessories and call it done. - Also if it fits the budget, replacing that laminate sink top with the drop in bowl, with a solid white cultured marble top with a "wave bowl" (rectangular sink) would look really sharp!
1 Like   November 5, 2012 at 4:33PM
indianagrammy
I think you have done a good job. I would put a couple of sets of towels on the towel bar. What you have there is pretty but looks skimpy. Paint the baseboard white and get new pulls for the cabinet. You could either paint the cabinet black or leave it white. Put a nice piece of art over the towel bar. All and all you have done a good job. You only need a few more inexpensive things to make it look Wow!
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 5:03PM
PRO
roomscapes
The room is looking great. I agree with most. Change the towels, the light fixture, change the outlet, paint the cabinet black and update the hardware to silver. Now about the wall.... the baseboard is narrow. Try painting it to either match the wall or the floor - when you have a chance to get new flooring. No need to accent it by painting it a different color.

Also, were you trying to make the room look a bit bigger by adding mirrors? Not a bad idea but perhaps you want to try this. Remove the small artwork in the black frame and get a few larger, square mirrors in a dark silver frame and arrange them in a pattern but turn them to look like diamonds to echo the basic shape in the wallpaper.
Be careful with the pattern. Cut newspaper to the size of the mirrors and place them on the walls in the pattern you are looking at creating. You can get an accurate read of how the wall will look without punching your walls full of holes. Once you find a pattern that works for you, tape around the corners so you know where to place the mirrors.
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 5:17PM
PRO
New England Fine Living
I am sorry if this is a repeat from a suggestion above, but I can envision the painted wall as black , the baseboard white, and larger wall art (the circles are too similar in size to the wallpaper pattern). Love what you have done!!!!
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 6:07PM
PRO
Vintage Bath
Paint that vanity black! At least the doors up to that fat trim, so that it looks like a thick piece of white top. And get new hardware. Get rid of the ceiling light: go to something like attached. If you can swing a new 4" CC faucet, do so in polished nickel, not satin nickel. New towel bar in PN. Like the wallpaper, black framed B&W picture, and the Deco mirror. Switchplate, baseboard, blue soap pump, and vase (?) in corner must go.
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 6:35PM
castlecorporate
Get a new light fixture, paint baseboard white and loose the little mirrors.
I like the accent wallpaper. Nice touch!
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 6:49PM
jackpepper
I think that you're on the right path. There are so many great suggestions, but what sticks out for me
is the mirror. It seems lost against the dramatic black and white wallpaper. Try a larger mirror with a white frame. or , if you do paint the vanity I would get a black frame to complement the newly painted vanity. That will give you a more cohesive look . Larger black and white prints on the opposite wall will balance the arrangement. Good Luck.
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 6:53PM
lynnh100
Like the idea black cabinet - why not frame a piece of the wallpaper on the back wall in a silver frame? Definitley needs punch but no black on the floor - reason is??? Dust and fluff will show up and make a nightmare to keep it looking clean - try grey & white - granite or marble look - its a tiny floor and would not cost too much
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 7:02PM
ephouzz
Good idea to try granite on the floor and perhaps a remove the black-framed picture and place it above the towel rack in place of the mirrors. Add another black-framed picture next or above it. Better yet, maybe one larger picture on that wall would be good.
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 8:05PM
ephouzz
Additionally, if the ceiling is a popcorn ceiling maybe scrape it and if possible add a larger crown molding and an interesting light fixture.
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 8:06PM
daughterofelvis
The first thing I noticed was that you need a bigger picture and more height with the vase on the counter. I agree the baseboards need to be painted and the light needs to be changed. If you can't afford it, take the light down and spray paint it a silver/brushed nickle color. If you can, a chandelier might be nice. Maybe some new hardware on the cupboard doors too. If you want to change the flooring and keep on budget, there are some great peel and stick tiles that look like ceramic. You can even grout them. All in all, it's looking good. I love the wallpaper!
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 8:23PM
Russell Hamm
Looks great! I think you need to remove the stick on mirrors, put something else there possibly, and hang the black and white photo a little higher.
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 12:56AM
wendyfennell
Hello,

I would def wallpaper the whole room. It looks unfinished an d that alone will make a huge impact!
If your budget allows, I would also replace the faucet, the light fixture with another flush mount or a small hanging pendent light. All of these updates can be found at local Home Depot or Lowes for a range of pricing that can fit your budget. Additionally, I would paint the cabinets in a soft gray and replace the door hardware.
Wendy at Bohemian Bungalow
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 6:00AM
dblieberman
The lighting does not work with the color, it casts an unflattering greyish tint all around and does not make this an inviting space. In general lighting on either side of the mirror is most flattering to the face. If you can't afford to rewire the lighting, then consider adding a small lamp in the corner of the vanity or at least change the lightbulbs overhead to the warmest light you can find.
Also, if it were up to me I'd add some yellow gold to the trim, there is too much chrome and this also lends a cold feel to the space (perhaps a gold framed mirror? gold framed art? shiny handles on the cabinet?).
Lastly, a pretty soap dispenser!
Good luck.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 7:18AM
jkingston
Paint Vanity Black, remove stick on mirrors get 2 black and white prints and put them where mirrors were (remove the small one. Replace handles with some glammy crystal ones and get a chandelier for over the sink. For a pop of colour go with a fuschia orchid. Good luck! One more thing - loose the b/w towel and fold the white on into thirds (if you know what I mean). Could add a small fuschia one on top of the white one.
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 1:14PM
orangecamera
Is it just me, or does the wallpaper pattern not match up? That's the first thing I noticed when I looked at the picture.
0 Likes   December 8, 2012 at 6:48PM
PRO
One Week Bath
Top 3 things to change:
- light fixture
- plug (white)
- vanity faucet
0 Likes   December 9, 2012 at 7:00AM
PRO
Rustic Wood Studio
Switchplate should match your picture frame
0 Likes   December 13, 2012 at 7:37AM
More Discussions
Need help with this space (formal dining and small living room)
Need suggestions/advice/ideas and some overall inspiration...
bedroom help
I just bought a home and there is a small spare bedroom.the...
What ONE thing do you hope your guests WILL notice?
We put a lot of effort into having things "just so"...
Need help for my living room
Hello, I need help with the coffee table and rug for...
The DMV's got Nuthin on Me!
I need ideas on how to transform my new home into a...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.