Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Extending a shower stall
Doug Lau
November 5, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I have a current shower stall that is old, enclosed, dark, and small. (36" wide x 32" deep) Looking to extend it out a bit and use glass doors to open it up. Not much room extra though. Only 27" until door jam. Any ideas??
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
can you angle the area to get the additional space you need and stay the required distance from the toilet which is 15" from center of toilet to another solid object.
November 5, 2012 at 2:20PM   
Doug Lau
I think that even without an angle there should be 15" from center of toilet. The toilet is pretty centered in the white part of the wall, so if there's 15" to the wall next to it, then there will be 15" from toilet to the extended shower. But I've thought about an angle as well. What would I need?
November 5, 2012 at 2:25PM   
PRO
Dytecture
Is it possible to extend the shower into the storage / utility area above the toilet?
November 5, 2012 at 3:44PM     
PRO
Vintage Bath
Would it make sense to switch the wall that the toilet is on? If you are able to extend the shower into the storage area, as Dytecture suggests, and turn the toilet, you could have a whole wall of glass enclosing the shower. If workable, then this would give you a much more open look! If you are unable to make those major changes, removing the header and lowering/elimnating the dam (threshold) into the shower would help too. Open up the doorway as much as possible, and install a clear glass door. You could also add a light into the shower, which would go a long way in changing the dark, closed in feel of the existing!
November 5, 2012 at 4:01PM     
Doug Lau
I think I'm going to ask about changing the toilet wall. I'm not sure what's in that wall where the little cabinet is now. I'm assuming it's dead space. I don't know how plumbing for toilet works.. do you think I can just turn the toilet to the adjacent wall?
November 5, 2012 at 11:21PM     
PRO
You can generally move a toilet a small amount without great difficulty or cost. It will depend upon what the flooring system is. That would be a great option if you can do as Dytecture and Vintage Bath have proposed. If not, you can still gut what you have, build out a new curb, install new tile and an angled frameless glass enclosure.
November 6, 2012 at 5:05AM     
Doug Lau
I will propose both to the contractors and see what we get back. We are planning on doing new flooring for the bathroom because it's just vinyl right now. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
November 6, 2012 at 7:24AM   
Doug Lau
Looks like I'll be going with building out the curb instead of taking over the wall behind the toilet. What would the average cost be to gut the shower, install new tiles, build out a curb, and install glass enclosure?
November 15, 2012 at 8:47PM   
PRO
The price is heavily dependent upon what type tile is used and the tile design. If done properly, expect the installation to cost more than the tile. It takes time and multiple trips for the tilesetter to do it right.
November 16, 2012 at 6:01AM     
Doug Lau
Well, I'm looking at using 4x4 tile with a mix of blues and greens to give an ocean look? This is what I envision.

What do you think?
November 16, 2012 at 10:33AM   
PRO
Very unique and intricate. I would expect to pay in the range of $6k - $8k for the completed shower. I will be interested to see where it ends up.
November 16, 2012 at 11:37AM   
Doug Lau
Oh I want to clarify its just the tiles in the foreground of the picture that I was talking about. Not the design in the back. So I thought that would be pretty normal... Still $6-8k
November 16, 2012 at 11:40AM   
PRO
Vintage Bath
Doug, the cost of your remodel will all depend on the materials you source, and the cost of construction/installation where you are located. You can select glass tiles from Walker Zanger or Ann Sacks, and spend significantly more money than if you select similar glass tiles from Arizona Tile (check them out, they are very well priced). The best way to determine the cost of your remodel is to select your materials (or maybe 2 options), and then have a couple contractors bid the job. Then you will have a few different price points to choose from, and can choose both the contractor you are the most comfortable with, and the tile that fits your budget. Good luck!
November 16, 2012 at 11:48AM   
Doug Lau
Well I definitely don't need designer tiles. As long as they do the job. Now is there a specific type of tile I should be looking for to have inside showers? Ceramic? Porcelain? Glass? I don't know what's best...
November 16, 2012 at 12:24PM   
PRO
Vintage Bath
Any of those types of tile will work inside the shower! And you can add natural stone tiles to the list, too. There are so many options! The best bet is to hire a designer to help you navigate all of your choices. They can work with you to determine the best material for your project, based on your budget, the look you want, and the maintence required. If you are local in the Bay Area, we can give you a few reccomendations for designers we have worked with.
November 16, 2012 at 3:35PM     
Doug Lau
My bathroom is finally complete and the shower just looks amazing to me. It's MUCH roomier than before because the side walls were knocked down. The ceiling tile was knocked out too to give it more height. The glass shower door makes it look a lot more open. And the white tile really makes it look clean and fresh. :) I wasn't able to extend the shower like I had hoped but making all these adjustments really made a difference. Hope you guys like it!
January 14, 2013 at 11:46PM     
PRO
Nice improvement. I know you will be much happier with the larger, lighter shower. Opens up the space. Enjoy!
January 15, 2013 at 8:00AM   
kmfarmer
Doug, do you mind sharing a round about cost for the project? Husband and I are thinking about re-doing or master shower and its a very similar project.
March 1, 2014 at 10:21PM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.