Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
3rd floor bedroom help needed
tbaisa
November 5, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We have 2 matching guest bedrooms on our 3rd floor. They are typical attic bedrooms with vaulted ceilings. Since this picture was taken, I've ripped out the carpet to reveal some pretty damaged wood flooring that had previously been painted brown. I'm planning on cleaning them up and painting them white. I've also painted the side walls a light green and the vaulted walls and ceiling white (previously the whole room was yellow including the ceiling). The colors are similar to the first picture here: http://www.houzz.com/spring-valley . The floors I'm going for are similar to the first 2 here: http://www.houzz.com/white-painted-floors

On one side of the room is a built in desk and dresser. I would like to keep these because they are completely built in and I have no clue what the floor looks like under them. They are also pretty useful for storage purposes. My husband is pretty against painting them white, but I haven’t completely counted this out. Any suggestions on how to make these fit in a bit more and not take over the entire room, as they are now? Not sure how far new pulls would go, but this is definitely in my plan.

Also, I’m sure you noticed the cork board on the wall behind the desk. What hadn’t fallen off, I ripped off to reveal lots of glue and ripped drywall. I’m not quite ready to replace the drywall, but am looking for something other than paint to do with this wall. I didn’t really hate the cork so I would be against putting new cork up, but am looking for a few alternatives as well. Maybe some bead board?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Aja Mazin
"What hadn’t fallen off, I ripped off to reveal lots of glue and ripped drywall."

I suggest paintable, textured wallpaper.

Allen + Roth CeilingTile wallpaper will cover a multitude of problems.

It is inexpensive and available at Loew's.
November 5, 2012 at 1:48PM   
decoenthusiaste
Might shop for anaglypta - the other name for some of the paintable embossed wallpaper.
November 5, 2012 at 2:00PM   
tbaisa
Thanks, I love the textured wallpaper idea!
November 5, 2012 at 2:48PM   
PRO
ATGStores.com
Hi, Tbaisa! We love the new color scheme and wanted to suggest some meaty glass knobs (http://www.atgstores.com/glass-knobs_675.html?&option0=optionA=291599|14031~Valu&linkloc=catheader&gpid=593703) to replace the ones you currently have, with an eye both for what color they are now and if/when you paint them white. We hope these give you some ideas. Note: All of these selection are over 1" in diameter. Good luck!
November 5, 2012 at 3:10PM   
Aja Mazin
Try a great furniture redo.

Stenciling with white over wood is a fantastic effect.
November 5, 2012 at 9:14PM