Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with colors and design
Vanessa Owensby
November 5, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I am redecorating my living room and I am terrible when it comes to color and design! I have found a chair that I am in love with but I am not sure what would go well with it. I need a recliner and sofa and am leaning towards CR Laine for the sofa. The chair is from CR Laine as well. It is the red one I have attached. My walls are Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore but can be repainted if I need to. Adjacent kitchen is Oyster Bay from Sherwin Williams. I have also attached a fabric from CR Laine that I really like but I'm just not sure about how it would look. I love the feel of it! I would really like to accent with some color. Also, my hardwood floors are a natural red oak. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Do you love the shape or the fabric or all of it? Does it come in another color? Would you like it for an accent chair or are you thinking two of them? I'm sure it is red, but at a distance it looks peachy. Have you seen it with your other furniture and did you still love it? If so, you'll love decorating with it.
November 5, 2012 at 6:54pm   
Aggie Purvinska
Lovely! The chair has a little bit of country going for it. This is good if you want to go with reclaimed and weathered furniture and a light rug... I think the other fabric is great , too for the sofa, and you can accessorize with red white and gray pillows, and even black in frames and accents and lamps... I say, go for it!

[houzz=Hastings Reclaimed Wood Coffee Table]

[houzz=Belgian Track Arm Slipcovered Sofas]

[houzz=Chunky Wool & Natural Jute Rug]

[houzz=Wuchow Three-Drawer File Console]

[houzz=Tolomeo Mega Black Floor Lamp]

[houzz=Black and White Modern Pillow, Black Dotted by Anyarwot Designs]

[houzz=20" x 20" Boating Stripe Decorative Pillow Cover]
November 5, 2012 at 6:58pm   
PRO
MUMMEINTERIORS
The chair is a nice transitional frame and goes well with the wall colors. I do love the other fabric as well but would not put them together in the same room. If going with more of a transitional or contemporary look I would lean towards the fabric swatch and look at another print for the chair. If you love the chair fabric it is great you would just need another fabric for a sofa.

Hope this helps and I look forward to hearing your comments. Matt

For more design inspiration visit my blog: http://mummeinteriors.wordpress.com
November 5, 2012 at 7:07pm   
Vanessa Owensby
I'm not married to the fabric of the chair but I do really like it. It can be ordered in any of CR Laines fabrics. I just get myself so confused when I start looking at 100's of fabric choices :). The chair itself I have to have! It is so comfortable. There will only be 1 because my husband wants a recliner. I am also struggling with that because I refuse to have a traditional style recliner. Aggie, I LOVE weathered and reclaimed everything! Thank you for the help! Are there any other colors you think would go well with this? I'm also looking for some sort of ottoman and pouf like the style attached. Not sure why but I just love them!
Chandani
I like the lines and scale of the chair and the paint colours that you have chosen. My preference with red oak is to work with cooler tones....grey-blues, grey-greens, teals.... Do you love the red or could you see the chair in a cooler tone?
PRO
MUMMEINTERIORS
The ottomans you attached would actually be cute with fabric that is currently on the chair.
November 5, 2012 at 7:09pm     
Vanessa Owensby
I could definitely see it in other colors and love blues, teals, greens, grays etc. as well.
November 5, 2012 at 7:10pm   
Vanessa Owensby
What suggestions would you give for a sofa fabric if I were to use that chair and ottomans?
November 5, 2012 at 7:12pm   
PRO
MUMMEINTERIORS
I am attaching some fabric swatches. Hope these inspire you, still quite sure of your looking but I would say rustic ~ eclectic.
November 5, 2012 at 7:17pm   
PRO
MUMMEINTERIORS
Of course colors change with lighting and in person etc. but this should give you an idea. Matt
November 5, 2012 at 7:18pm   
PRO
MUMMEINTERIORS
More fabric swatches.
November 5, 2012 at 7:20pm   
wanglei0110
Asd
November 5, 2012 at 7:26pm   
Vanessa Owensby
The fabric on the top left corner is very similar to another fabric I had been looking at. Thank you!
November 5, 2012 at 7:26pm   
PRO
MUMMEINTERIORS
Great your welcome.
November 5, 2012 at 7:27pm   
Aggie Purvinska
Those ottomans are perfect! A light natural linen for the sofa and a soft matte leather for the recliner...

but I almost see something like this for the recliner..prob not what hubby had in mind...

[houzz=
]
November 5, 2012 at 7:34pm   
Vanessa Owensby
I wish that was what he had in mind but no such luck. I'm trying to find a nice upholstered recliner that will hopefully make us both happy :)
November 5, 2012 at 7:37pm     
PRO
MUMMEINTERIORS
Hancock and Moore is a great recliner manufacture.
November 5, 2012 at 7:37pm   
judianna20

I have always loved toile with a check. What about a leather recliner (brown), mummeinteriors slubby fabric on the sofa, a multi colored fabric for window treatments and a brushed silver coffee table?
November 5, 2012 at 7:39pm   
Vanessa Owensby
I would love a multi color fun fabric for windows and throw pillows. We tend to like the eclectic. For instance one of the end tables I have is a bicycle with glass top :)
November 5, 2012 at 7:43pm     
PRO
MUMMEINTERIORS
Print on Print is fine.. nothing wrong with spicing up the environments we live in. :)
November 5, 2012 at 7:45pm   
Aja Mazin
Not the chairs in that red or that pattern.

Love the other ideas!

Here are some recliners: just choose a style and fabric!
November 5, 2012 at 8:06pm