Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help for my kitchen
susangloria
November 5, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I just moved into this house and am having trouble working with this space. This is an open floor plan with no dining room so I wanted to add an island to the kitchen. I also also have this low window that I need to work with. I would appreciate any design help with regards to the placement and shape of the island and how it would relate to the window. Thanks so much!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
olldcan
How much space is between your stove or dishwasher on the left of your picture and your fridge on the right. Dimensions of the tiled area and the hardwood area would be helpful too
November 5, 2012 at 8:51pm     
apple_pie_order
Is the island for work space or for eating? If you measure as Candace66 says and upload a floor plan, that'd help.
November 5, 2012 at 9:35pm   
susangloria
From the dishwasher to the fridge is 8 1/2 feet. The island is for eating - I have enough workspace
November 5, 2012 at 9:44pm   
susangloria
The opposite length - from wood floor to oven (can't see in picture) -- is 10 ft 3 in
November 5, 2012 at 9:48pm   
olldcan
I can't imagine an Island any larger than 2 1/2' x 5' for your tiled space if it's a rectangle. The best thing for you to do now is use masking tape on the floor to figure out the size and shape of Island that will fit. 36" would be the minimum between any cabinet or appliance to the Island, for walking past opening doors etc. I prefer 48", especially with stools. You can be more creative with your islands shape if you can have it partially on the tile and on the hardwood. Maybe it can just be on the hardwood? If you have a small dresser and can get it into the kitchen that will help you visualize the amount of space they actually take up, don't forget about the space around that needs to be maintained.
I think I would do a built in bench seat under the window, island almost a peninsula shape, possibly 2 different heights so the bench seat and shorter stools could work.
November 5, 2012 at 10:23pm   
susangloria
So would the island run perpendicular or parallel to the window?
November 5, 2012 at 10:47pm   
olldcan
I think I'd try perpendicular to the window only to allow for a bench seat, if you like that idea. If it can be partially on the hardwood, you might be able to go either way. Tape on the floor will answer that question
November 5, 2012 at 10:54pm   
apple_pie_order
Taping off table dimensions is a great idea. Cutting cardboard to fit would work, too, for slding around. You can also buy a large new cardboard box in the proposed size to plop down in the kitchen to see how it works for you.

I suggest you try placing a card table next to the window to see how it fits and how it feels to eat there. A card table is a tight squeeze for four people to eat at, but fine for two.

The kitchen space looks big enough for a two person table, but not more. You might want to look for small round cafe tables that come with two matching chairs.

The cabinets are beautiful. I love the light from the corner windows.
November 6, 2012 at 6:14am   
PRO
Granite Transformations
Do you have a picture looking from the kitchen into the room next to it, where the wood floors begin? I think right on that seam between the rooms would be the place for an island. Rectangular shaped of about 4x3 might work. Not sure though. I like candace's idea of taping or working with boxes possibly to create a model.
November 6, 2012 at 8:39am