Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with modern fireplace mantel design
mcfadden62
November 5, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We have a corner fireplace that divides the living and dining space and need ideas for the mantel. We will have a travertine hearth level with the dark hardwood floors and the surround will also be travertine. We want a wooden mantel but can't decide what would be a good fit here
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
mcfadden62
A tv will be above the living room side on a swing arm that fits in the recessed area above the fireplace
November 5, 2012 at 9:12pm   
Darzy
What is the color and size of the travertine? What pattern? Do you want the FP to look modern with the travertine?
November 5, 2012 at 9:16pm   
mcfadden62
Travertine is cream and white and beige 18 inch squares. And yes that is what I am thinking as the fireplace itself is more modern. I like traditional but not sure. Maybe a real square boxy kind of mantel? Just not sure with the corner and all to navigate.
November 5, 2012 at 9:24pm   
mcfadden62
Do I take the mantel all the way across to the dining room or stop where the fireplace stops?
November 5, 2012 at 9:28pm   
mcfadden62
I think I really need to have a mantel due to the tv above but don't really plan to use the fp much. We are also having all the windows and doors wrapped with trim and caps to add architectural touch.
November 5, 2012 at 9:30pm   
Darzy
Gosh, I hate to say this but I think 18" travertine tile will look like you have floor tile on your FP. If you want it to look really modern, no mantel would be best. Plus, since the FP "stops" at the corner it may look odd to have the mantel either stop at the corner, or look odd wrapped around the non FP side. How about just doing a beautiful tile just surrounding the fire box? Tile on the backside of the FP in the dining room will limit what you can do on that side as well. Here is a modern option..or do a Houzz search in photos for modern two sided fireplace and see more ideas.

November 6, 2012 at 9:51am   
mcfadden62
Not sure I follow because the fp (like in the photo you attached) does wrap around the corner. I like the idea of no mantel but if not travertine what would you suggest?
November 6, 2012 at 10:35pm   
Darzy
I meant the FP doesn't wrap around the back side. Or does it? I was thinking to leave the sheetrock and do a beautiful glass tile only on the surround (including the bit on the corner) Or,..do a stackstone all the way up all the way, on both sides. The stone will be more transitional and go with crown moulding better than the small mosaic glass tile. These may not be the color you prefer,but a gorgeous tile will make a statment in your room!
FORMA Design
Fireplace
November 6, 2012 at 11:00pm   
mcfadden62
You are right the fp does not wrap around only an L shape fp. I like the tile idea but cost is a factor and I want to keep things classic and not trendy. What about keeping everything flat and having a boxy very clean 4 or 5 inch tall mantel that wraps around a bit just to where the fp ends? I'm talking about a floating type of shelf for the mantel. I could also paint the wall part a contrasting color to make it pop. The travertine is not decided for sure it also can be cut into rectangles to keep it from looking too floor tile.
November 11, 2012 at 6:56pm   
hockey456
You probably already found this photo, but just in case...
November 11, 2012 at 11:49pm   
hockey456
I would extend the mantel to the end of the wall and place a contemporary fireplace tool set in the blank wall space underneath.
November 11, 2012 at 11:53pm