Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Teen Bedroom
Russell Hamm
November 6, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi, I've had the same type of bedroom style forever! I tend to go for wood, or red, white, or blue. I really want a new room, basically. I really want a modern, almost minimalist room where the only things I display really stand out. I was thinking white, black, and gray with color splashes........ I do have a big closet(not walk in). Thanks so much!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Russell Hamm
Also, any suggestions for good, less expensive desks. Maybe black..... No drawers on sides?
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 12:49AM
charleee
Navy, gray and white are a great color combination. Your wood furniture looks very paintable, to me. I would leave the headboard and footboard as is, but paint the desk, dresser and bookcase a glossy black or charcoal gray. Or possibly buy one unit to combine the two on either side of the dresser. Change the knobs and pulls to chrome and your furniture will look like new for the cost of a can of paint. Perhaps change your comforter: [houzz=Bachelor Pad - Bedroom]
And add a rug for the side of your bed: [houzz=Kite Kilim Rug]
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 3:03AM
michigammemom
You might consider the Go Cart desk from CB2. It comes in carbon as pictured, lime green and bright orange and is reasonably priced at $149.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 4:29AM
intoit
Check out Ikea for the modern clean look. They have a number of options for a desk that should work well. They also have rugs that will compliment the look.
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 4:36AM
Aja Mazin
I agree with Bobbie.

Remember that drawers can be painted and hidden under the bed!
And a console table from a thrift shop makes a fine desk!

Check out distressed black furniture on DIY!
2 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 4:42AM
Russell Hamm
@Bobbi P- thanks for your great ideas! I never have really thought about painting my furniture, but now I think I will. I agree my bed is probably fine. I also really like that rug! Thanks again!
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 1:03PM
Russell Hamm
I like that go cart desk. It's plain and moveable. Thanks for your input
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 1:04PM
Russell Hamm
Thanks everyone for your input. I am now thinking a rug, paint some furniture, maybe rearrange some, and I will have a nice, modern looking bedroom. Any more suggestions? Thanks again!
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 1:06PM
mpoulsom
Like bobbi's ideas too. One question; Is there enough room to move the desk to opposite wall and place to the right of the bookcase and move dresser to the other side of "moved" desk? Move your black cubicles beside your bed and use that as nightstand?
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 1:58PM
charleee
Neat idea, the black cubicles next to the bed for a nightstand!
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 2:00PM
mpoulsom
OR if there is enough room to move dresser to left of window on that wall, and just having bookcase and desk on the opposite wall?
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 2:00PM
Russell Hamm
@mpoulsom- I like the first idea, but wouldn't that make lots of empty space between the cubicle and the closet? I do like that idea though.... I think there is room. I like the second idea as well, but sadly there isn't room :(
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 2:24PM
decoenthusiaste
The way teens like to lounge, I think this idea would be great! Search for "corner bed" to see more.

1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 3:20PM
Russell Hamm
@aja- when i first saw your post and the desk, I liked it. Then I was perusing idea books, and came across I picture I really liked of a homework space. I thought to myself 'I really like that desk!', and it turned out to be that desk!
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 1:49AM
cvanrooy
You may first look at what do you enjoy doing in this room and expand on that. Some times we get stuck thinking it should have the same items it always had. How do you use the desk? Writing, reading, laptop, or does it become a dropping spot??? A new bed cover could give the room a new look.
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 3:59AM
greenthumb2
I remember a client whose daughter played guitar and wanted room to move around in her room. She placed her bed in her closet removed the door. Gave her so much floor space to decorate. Clothes in dresser/armoire. Was off the charts strange but interesting and worked for her needs. you could really have a minimalist look with the twin in the closet. Someone on this site is going to give me a hard time on this post, I can feel it already.
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 4:19AM
Gretchen125
In regard to the dresser drawers under the bed - I did exactly that in my teenage son's small bedroom. Ikea makes a box (called Snack). Painted them out and attached casters. Looks a lot like the much more expensive PB locker bed. You could reuse your dresser drawers and just add casters. Clears up a ton of floor space. I was able to fit 4 under his twin size bed. OR have you given thought to moving the dresser into the closet?
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 4:34AM