Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Should we put in a wine fridge
Donna Giblin
November 6, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are in the process of redoing our kitchen in our primary residence, which will be going on the market in about 18 months when we downsize. We currently have a trash compactor and we are trying to decide whether to put in a new compactor or replace that appliance with a wine refrigerator (neither of us drink wine so this is just a resale issue) Thanks for your input.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Shawn Lagemann
Today with recycling being so big, I think the biggest bang for your buck would be a wine fridge. Buyers like that high-end appeal, even if they don't entertain.
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 4:26AM
PRO
Lotus Construction Group
I agree with shawnlagemann the better value will be the wine fridge.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 5:46AM
Jonathan Graham
Definitely put in the wine fridge. You can always use it for bottles water, sodas, etc. A trash compacter will add nothing to resale or the aesthetics of the kitchen.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 5:56AM
PRO
BeautifulRemodel.com
Hi Donna, I agree with the others and would do the fridge instead of a trash compactor. We've always taken those out of a remodeled kitchen and never put one back in, over the past 10 years or so.

For most versatility, consider a mixed beverage fridge as the interiors are set up to hold everything from wine to beer to sodas to waters etc. I've used Marvel fridges like these many times and they seem to hold up very well over time. http://www.lifeluxurymarvel.com/

Steve
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 6:46AM
charleee
I agree with Steve, a mixed beverage fridge. Since I don't drink a wine fridge would be of no value to me:)
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 8:56AM
olldcan
And wine fridges can't get as cold as beverage fridges can. If your redoing your kitchen is that cabinets too because a compactor is much narrower that an under the counter beverage fridge. I'm building soon and have chosen both. Make sure your under counter fridge exhausts the heat to the front not the back and has adequate free space on the sides and back, otherwise you just burn them out in a year. A compactor and recycling bins are huge in Canada, were all very conscious on this issue.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 9:05AM
PRO
BeautifulRemodel.com
Candace - Marvel makes a few beverage fridges that fit into a standard compactor space of 15".
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 9:08AM
olldcan
Good to know although the capacity would be less.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 9:11AM
PRO
BeautifulRemodel.com
I would imagine ;o)
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 9:13AM
PRO
ct design studio
I love the mixed beverage fridge idea. I think it would appeal to a lot of groups, but especially young families looking for a new home.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 9:47AM
Elise
Donna, depending on where you live, a major metro area with active recycling programs or near wine country, find out from realtors what features people are looking for in your area. Consider a wine rack versus a refrig also, as long as it is not near a heat generating appliance or in a sunny location.

Since we have excellent recycling programs in Oregon, we don't need trash compactors. Lots of fabulous wines in the area and a love of entertaining led us to install an undercounter wine refrigerator, ours is the size of a dishwasher. Temperature control is the most important feature of the refrigerator.
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 10:20AM
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Yes, a wine cooler will definitely upgrade the look of your kitchen.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 10:27AM
Donna Giblin
Thank you all for your input. We did find a wine fridge that will take the place of the 15" compactor, although I will look into the mixed beverage ones now. We are not changing out the cabinets as they are not that old and are in perfect condition. We bought high end custom cabinets when we redid the kitchen originally but styles for countertops and backsplashes have changed since then and we want to make it appealing and current.
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 8:16PM
PRO
Mint Design
wine is best for resale unless you are in a remote area with only weekly garbage pickup. I have both; I compact recyclable cans....you can also put the compactor in the garage if you want both. :)
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 9:27PM