Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with my formal living room
tinylove22
November 6, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hello
I have been living in this house for 10 years. I recently arranged the sofas like in the pictures attached. I feel the room looks brighter this way that no sofas in front of the with windows. Planning to get big brown area rug for the living room. Change the curtains, maybe a brown blinds. I am keeping the sofas for a little longer although they are outdated. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tinylove22
More pictures
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 8:19AM
decoenthusiaste
Always great to see someone ready to make changes . I'd hang stationary drapery panels floor to ceiling on a decorative rod at each end of the window and put your new blinds up. Get neutral or light tan slip covers for the two sofas as they need an update. Place your coffee table within reach of the larger sofa and pull the smaller sofa out in the middle facing it with its back to the entry. It will seem odd to you at first but you'll have walk room behind and it will open up that corner by the window for your bird cage. That will allow room to scoot the sofas a bit more toward the dining area. Update the lamps with new ones, remove the dried and artificial arrangements, lower the clock about a foot or more and the art that will be above the birdcage too. For the finale, buy a patterned area rug (not just brown) large enough for the two sofas and coffee table to sit on. Check homedecorators.com for rugs at great prices and a big selection of styles, colors and materials.
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 8:46AM
apple_pie_order
Your house has nice space and great window. I'd rearrange the artwork to center it over the sofa. Displaying only one silk flower arrangement at a time would help (I can see you like them but ask yourself if they still look fresh or if they have faded. Green gets especially odd looking). I'd skip the new rug and curtains in favor of saving up for new sofa and chair. Darker sofa pillows will look more sophisticated in the meantime.

For a few days, take down the curtains to give you a fresh bright look at the room. Throw them all in the washer on the delicate cycle if that is what the label says. If not, get them dry cleaned. Stationary draperies usually gather a lot of dust.

If you remove the swag valence and its wide rod, you may be able to reuse the curtain rod and extend it the full width of the wall. I'm assuming they are all rod pocket curtains, not pleated curtains. Then move the curtains that are currently tied back so that they hang straight down next to the window but don't extend over the glass sheers. Don't re-use the tiebacks or the swags. The layer closest to the window looks like classic glass sheers; they can stay or go, depending on your desire for light vs. privacy.
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 9:02AM
tinylove22
Thank you decoenthusiaste & apple_pie_order for your replies. I moved the love seat more to the front to have an access to the bird cage. I tried to place it as decoenthusiaste suggested but it was totally on the way, the entrance might look bigger in the picture. I am keeping the sofa as its a sofa bed and I need it when my mother in law visits, she is on wheel chair. Until we find another comfy sofabed maybe in the family room, or to replace this one, I like the idea of slipcovers. I am not sure how it will look if i replace only the love seat with 2 arm chairs or one. I am looking at Ikea's EKENĂ„S Armchair, Tullinge rust. it might go nice with the windows wall pain color. I moved the large size pain to the dinning room, replaces the small frame, will post a picture. I like it, but doest it matter that the frame of the painting is darker than the dinning set? Will get rid of the artificial plants, will work on the windows as apple_pie_order suggested. what do you think? thank you:)
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 11:23AM
tinylove22
here is the dinning room picture with the frame
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 11:29AM
apple_pie_order
Decoenthusiaste's suggestion of sofa slipcovers would work very well. Sleeper sofa slipcovers can be found at http://www.surefit.net/shop/categories/sleeper-sofas/ or do a google search. My guess is that either one or two chairs will work fine. Since there are limited colors for slipcovers, it'd be easier to choose a chair fabric after you choose a slipcover fabric. Custom made slipcovers are also an option if you intend to keep the sofa long enough to justify the expense (a few hundred dollars).

Large artwork has considerably more impact than small artwork. It can also serve as a color inspiration for slipcovers.
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 12:27PM
tinylove22
Oh thanks a lot for the link! They sure have nice selection. I will be looking to order one. I want to see what art can I find for over the sofa if I am going to keep the current one for the dinning area. Thanks again!
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 1:56PM
decoenthusiaste
You could always have the picture re-framed in the oak of your dining set. If you have room, I think two armchairs would work. Just look for small scale ones, as so many are over sized.
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 3:25PM
stacybyerly
I agree with deco about the rug. Also you could cover the sofas with the ready made sofa covers and tie the color with the rug. I think you might want to take the flouncy valance off the drapes and just use the white sheers. Re-think the brown blinds, they will make the room really dark and you seem to have a nice airy and bright room going for you. You could paint the china cabinet and the base of the table to change the look in your dining area. I agree with the person who suggested you pare down the artificial arrangement, maybe go for live plants.
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 6:58PM
marvsten1
The room is too dark, try adding more light or paint, the cornice over your sheers are taking away your natural light. Try reversing the color scheme, use the color of the cornice on the sofa. I usually find fabric remnants at the local thrift shop, way cheaper than buying a slip cover. The sofas are overstuffed and comfy don't throw them out-prices are really high right now. When you're ready to purchase new one move pieces to guest rooms, sun-rooms etc.
2 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 7:13PM
arlys baker
Ikea are perfect for slip covers. You might have to do a little adjusting but do your measurements before you go to the store. Ikea slip covers AU dollar $75, I guess about $85 US dollar, if you get them done professionally costs a lot!
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 11:00PM
tinylove22
Thank you all for your great inputs. each reply was an eye opining on things I didn't think of myself although I have been trying to update this room for along time. I will be working on it for the next few weeks. I will update with pictures. Thank you again :))
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 10:33AM