powered by
Access panel for jacuzzi tub?
November 6, 2012 in Design Dilemma
The home we just bought has a jacuzzi tub. I believe this was added in the early 90's. As shown in the photo, there is a deep, narrow storage cabinet (13" wide openings) at the end opposite the faucets. That is the only access panel. That access panel is 13" x 12" and was covered with a screening and then a piece of cardboard. I removed the cardboard and there is a strong mildew smell. I set up a fan to blow in to circulate air, and sprayed a lot of lysol through the opening; but after a few weeks the smell is still there. What is my next step? The long side of the tub is against an exterior wall. Should a panel be cut there (to air out and also for repairs), and how would that best be done? Any suggestions appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jonathan Graham
Don't get alarmed, but the mildew is not a good sign of what is going on behind the scenes. I would get a bathroom specialist to look at it. The tub might have to be temporarily removed to see the cause of the problem and find a solution.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 9:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Hi inky56,

A plumber or GC can remove your tub for you (disconnecting the electrical and plumbing first) which will give you a very good view of what the problem is. It's often related to the drain, but could from the a slow dripping supply line, the recirc lines on the tub, or even an exterior moisture issue penetrating the wall. Removing the tub is relatively easy for an experienced professional, and will get you the answer you need. The problem is only going to get worse unless you address it completely and removing the tub, will make that possible. Once you've fixed the problem the tub can be reinstalled.

Best of luck
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 9:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Thank you for the advice.
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 10:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
3D-Tile-Design - Bertram Tasch
Hello inky56

Don't forget to check the silicone joint/sealing around the tub and the socket of your faucets. This are common areas where the water can permeate.

My tip: Before you remove your tub, inspect the bathtub first with a pipe inspection camera. http://www.homedepot.com/buy/milwaukee-m12-red-lithium-12-volt-cordless-m-spector-inspection-camera-kit-2310-21.html You can probably rent it at Home Depot. Your plumber should also have such an inspection camera. We use it always to check the drain first, before we build the shower pan.


3D-Tile-Design - Bertram Tasch
Maple Ridge, BC (Greater Vancouver) http://www.3D-Tile-Design.ca
1 Like   November 7, 2012 at 12:34AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Steam shower
Probably going to update our shower and convert to...
Deborah Sullivan
Need Help choosing a glaze for cabinets and color of paint for walls!
Hi everyone! All my walls are white. I want to...
What type of window coverings would you recommend?
I have two windows in the from of my house (dining...
Amy Theesfeld
Help French Door Refrigerator next to Wall
We have a 36 inch space for our refrigerator. The space...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.