Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Should I add hardware to my cabinets?
Darla
November 6, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I kind of like my cabinets without hardware, but if I do, I am not sure what would go good with it. Any suggestions?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
ATGStores.com
Hi, Home Diva! We're seeing a very contemporary/modern look here, and the go-to thought may be to pair it with the appliances. BUT, there also appears to be some nice dark granite throughout, so maybe taking that approach could be unique! We've narrowed this link to black cabinet pulls (http://www.atgstores.com/black-cabinet-pulls_676.html?&option0=optionA=-1|-4~Valu) and have selected a few designs to give you ideas. Good luck!
3 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 8:32AM
PRO
Creations by Alno, Inc.
I love your kitchen but I would add hardware. I think paying attention to details like the hardware makes a major statement. Nice work.
3 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 8:58AM
charleee
At first I thought no, I wouldn't add any hardware at all. Then I saw your drawers and remembered how difficult they are to open with one (clean!) hand. So yes, surely add hardware!
2 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 8:59AM
Jonathan Graham
Absolutely add hardware. It will make a BIG difference. Get a few types and see what looks best to you. Burnished pewter or black will probably look good, but experiment!
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 9:00AM
PRO
Reico Kitchen & Bath
Hardware could be very striking in this kitchen, especially choosing a black or version of stainless to tie in with appliances, similar to what ATGStores.com is saying.
2 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 9:01AM
ejly
I don't like hardware but would want it on the drawers at least. I like the black handles posted earlier. Good luck!
3 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 9:02AM
PRO
Creations by Alno, Inc.
I love your kitchen but I would add hardware. I think paying attention to details like the hardware makes a major statement. Nice work.
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 9:03AM
PRO
Granite Transformations
Great looking kitchen, but I definitely think adding hardware would go a long way. I like some of ATGStores suggestions above too.
3 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 9:13AM
nevadan
Hardware is expensive. Add it to some of the cabinets and/or drawers, not all. Hardware is jewelry. Use it sparingly. You can also use two harmonizing hardwares, one for cabinets, one for drawers.
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 9:16AM
Darla
Thanks you, I guess everyone agrees I need hardware. Thanks for all the suggestions.
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 9:31AM
dcer
At least on the drawers, as others have suggested
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 9:44AM
PRO
Creations by Alno, Inc.
Some Options
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 10:33AM
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Like your kitchen and yes to hardware and yes to finished look! Thanks
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 10:38AM
greenthumb2
buy something that feels good in your hand because after all -- you will be pulling and pushing these for a long time to come. :=) also, aluminum brushed finished hardware turn colors when wiped with vinegar solutions. fyi. enjoy your project, take your time when drilling, measure twice. Ask someone to assist.
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 10:44AM
greenthumb2
buy something that feels good in your hand because after all -- you will be pulling and pushing these for a long time to come. :=) also, aluminum brushed finished hardware turn colors when wiped with vinegar solutions. fyi. enjoy your project, take your time when drilling, measure twice. Ask someone to assist.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 10:44AM
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 11:08AM
anitajoyce
Yes, Brushed nickel round knobs for the cabinets and rectangular handles for the drawers. This will give the cabinets a nice shiny touch to go with the stainless steele appliances.
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 11:23AM
lolakitchenera
Try out a few harwares from the display area before deciding on one. I once bought a nice looking harware for my cabinet but turned out not to be comfortable to use. I think you should also consider its feel on your hands as one person suggested. Happy decorating.
2 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 2:12AM
kazt
I did my kitchen makeover 10 years ago and I did not add hardware. I'm very happy,my doors and cabinetry opens easily. I still can always add ,if I want to. Never have to update!
1 Like   November 7, 2012 at 3:51AM
vicky feldman
You really have a beautiful kitchen. I thought i wouldn't write that, as it has been written by everyone in here but couldn't stop myself from typing it in. I wish I had that beautiful kitchen. I would certainly advice you to for hardware for sure. the hardware designs shown above are real good especially the antique one and the ball-knob one. You can also drill a small hole in the cabinet and plug-in a small designer rope with both ends knotted. That would also look good.
1 Like   November 7, 2012 at 4:01AM
Celeste
Your cabinets look new or new-ish. Put hardware on now just for the simple reason of preserving their beautiful look. We are about to close on a home that is 20 years old that never had hardware on the cabinet doors nor drawers. The condition of the fronts is awful and my first project is going to be refacing all of them and adding hardware because they are really good cherry wood cabs. Had there been hardware all of these years they wouldn't be in such rough shape. Good luck!!
1 Like   November 7, 2012 at 5:01AM
jorien
I had plain cherry cabinets and added brushed stainless knobs and and drawer handles to match the other stainless in my kitchen. However I sometimes regret it. I like the look of cabinets plain. Tastes change over time and I'm liking a more streamlined look now. Hardware does protect the finish however. So that alone might be reason to add.
1 Like   November 7, 2012 at 8:32AM
greenthumb2
katz has a point. If you decide you like a more clean look, if you have it in your budget, the doors and drawers can be shaved for finger grip area. That way you can open them without messing up the finish. :=)
1 Like   November 7, 2012 at 8:37AM
PRO
Otrada LLC
I'd add the hardware if you enjoy cooking. It's too difficult to keep cabinets clean and free from oil, dirt, etc. Lots of choices for hardware so I'd determine the finish: black, bronze, stainless and then select the style.
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 8:47AM
Darla
Wow, thanks everyone! Looks like I have some choices to make!
1 Like   November 7, 2012 at 9:40AM