Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How do I spice up this window area?
Louise Hougaard
November 6, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I hate these curtains... How do i spice up this window area...?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenthumb2
If you can manage the cost, I suggest something similar to shoji screen that works on both windows. Vertical blinds are "tight" and constricting which is why they aren't often liked. Not sure how you feel about the house we can see through your drawn blinds. A sliding shjoi to left would eliminate this view...if you need to soften this -- lose the blinds altogether and buy a large fabric screen 4-5 panels (you can change the panels of fabric when you tire of them ( I see orange on the right of your room) maybe a pattern with color.., the panels (fabric screen) can come with or without wheels. An investment you'll not regret. Allows light, privacy, absorbs sound, softens this look.
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 9:11AM
nevadan
Please, no spice. What you have is perfect. The valance could be a different color - maybe a pale blue. Ditto the ceiling. Lovely room.
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 9:14AM
jeanette mac
I am with you on vertical blinds. I don't like them either. Plus the collect dust. A nice soft neutral trellis pattern curtain to the floor would look pretty. Even a soft beachy shade of blue would be gorgeous in this room and would really set the the ceiling off. I think the ceiling is your architectural feature to be highlighted in this room.
6 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 9:23AM
jeanette mac
Here are some Houzz images I have found for you.
3 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 9:32AM
iamchickaddd
Maybe vertical black and white striped curtains would be pretty...or navy blue and white.
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 10:33AM
granonie anon
First, a question. Do you actually ever use the left side as a door?
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 10:49AM
Elise
IKEA has some great sliding panels that would offer some spice, light control and privacy.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60238867/
2 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 10:57AM
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Like the white in this room - looked in houzz under white drapes - great ideas - but actually wonder what your room looks like -
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 11:52AM
camillealbert
The pics Jeanette Mac posted are a good Idea. I wouldn't do stripes with that ceiling. Floor to ceiling soft print panels on sides and middle. What is this room?? A gym ??.
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 12:12PM
camillealbert
The pics Jeanette Mac posted are a good Idea. I wouldn't do stripes with that ceiling. Floor to ceiling soft print panels on sides and middle. What is this room?? A gym ??.
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 12:12PM
PRO
Suzette Sherman Design
I cannot see the whole room but it has wonderful light and from what I can see it feels nice, modern and clean. I am not a fan of the thin vertical blinds. Too old school pedestrian in look and feel. Based on the room I suggest a structured window treatment. The Shade Store has solar shades that would be nice if you have color placed through furniture and bedding. They also have a panel system to get some texture, color or pattern in the room. I will not recommend a color because colors are different on each computer so I am unsure what the real color scheme is. The Shade Store is wonderful about helping you through your options.
4 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 1:02PM
Louise Hougaard
Its a house ive just bought. So the furniture is nor mine.
Im having the railing replaced so you cant see inside the living room.. And i plan to use the door alot.
Im loving the blue ideas and panels is what i had in mind, but not with stripes..
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 2:35PM
5 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 3:05PM
mamallama
What is outside? Is it a balcony? You might come up with something to do out there that would obscure "the view" and still allow light and air to flow. You might not have to do anything heavy inside.
1 Like   November 7, 2012 at 12:45AM
PRO
tatjana djikanovic
Maybe white linen curtains that fall on the floor, longer 15 cm than actual length :) The room is fantastic. The idea of Ms Sherman is also great
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 3:07AM
PRO
tatjana djikanovic
Maybe white linen curtains that fall on the floor, longer 15 cm than actual length :) The room is fantastic. The idea of Ms Sherman is also great
PRO
tatjana djikanovic
PRO
tatjana djikanovic
catclawrose
You might take a stroll through your local Hobby Lobby or fabric store, and cruise the upholstery aisles. Find something you like in either a bold graphic print, or anything else that will make your other furnishings,(and yourself !), happy. Buy enough yard goods to go from floor, across the top, to the floor, get some type of iron holders, and simply drape the fabric, until it pleases your eye, and frames your glass. easy to change, too ! You can get as brave as you need to be !
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 3:55AM
catclawrose
You might take a stroll through your local Hobby Lobby or fabric store, and cruise the upholstery aisles. Find something you like in either a bold graphic print, or anything else that will make your other furnishings,(and yourself !), happy. Buy enough yard goods to go from floor, across the top, to the floor, get some type of iron holders, and simply drape the fabric, until it pleases your eye, and frames your glass. easy to change, too ! You can get as brave as you need to be !
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 3:55AM
tsudhonimh
Very cool and calm feel to it. I'd start with moving my own furniture in and seeing what it looks like. Pick the rug before the curtains, because they are harder to find.

That's a tough window to deal with. If it's a busy door, you need to have curtains that stack well. The IKEA sliding panel system might work for you, in a sheer linen or a pale pattern.
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 3:56AM
kazt
Paint the valance and walls on the side in your favorite color. Add a beautiful plant.
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 3:57AM
PRO
Adrian Ramsay Design House
Nice room, i would suggest maybe 2 sets of roller blinds depending on if you need privacy during the day,
if privacy is a big deal during the day i would run a full height partial block 70+ % roller blind in a dark navy, this would let you look out while others cant look in,

if you need privacy at night (the partial block wont offer this) i would do a large horizontal navy and white stripe roller blind full width and i would paint the side walls navy to match and leave the radiator in white.
of course if you dont need privacy during the day i would just do the bold navy and white roller blind only
hope this helps cheers adrian
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 5:03AM
vickibond
I would keep it simple considering the angles of the room and the wood on the ceiling. I found some beautiful drapes at World Market in a simple semi muted green that had the texture of linen. Decide what color you like or what you want the room to "feel" like then go with a textured fabric in that color.
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 5:04AM
apple_pie_order
Your plan to change the balcony railing to improve privacy will make it more comfortable to use the room and balcony. A strategic balcony railing flower box or potted tree at the right height can be placed to block the view from the neighbor's top floor windows.

Please consider having the sliding door opening reversed so that the door opens on the right, not the left. That will enable you to have a curtain or panel stackback on the left, obscuring the neighbor's view in, but allowing your direct view and walk-out out on the right.
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 5:51AM
sngglebnny
With this carpet! I just saw it, and it is so fabulous!!! [houzz=
]
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 6:37AM
PRO
InteriorsbyDesign
I love this space. I am assuming this is a bedroom, although it is hard to tell from the photo. I would suggest picking a color scheme and overall design plan you like. You might start with a beautiful area rug to anchor the room. It can be neutral or patterned, depending on your taste. You can then pull colors off the rug for your draperies.
The window treatment should give you the required privacy you need. Verticals are dated and don't do justice to this interesting space. It looks like the access to the balcony is on the left side of this sliding door. You can do a floor-length drapery that would stack to the right. A simple iron rod with matching rings would look nice. If you don't use the balcony area, you can do center split drapery panels that would stack to the left and right.
I see textured linen panels, tone-on-tone pattern, or colored pattern that coordinates with your design plan. Lining on the panels will give you the added privacy and light control you need. Stay away from stripes, due to the 'striped' effect you already have in the room- on the ceiling, walls and floors.
You can try Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn, Ballard Designs, to name a few.
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 7:15AM
decoenthusiaste
Would love to see all the beadboard and the valance in palest blue or green with white linen drapes!
1 Like   November 7, 2012 at 7:53AM
tontine13
Vertical blinds are so dated and curtains take work on doors...what about some shutters...use like doors and enjoy the privacy when closed. Drape ( creating an illusion of windows above)...or wallpaper the bit above the door for colour & texture. Bring the eye up to the great ceiling feature. If you plan on using the balcony/ deck then create the privacy on the outside...wood railings in close proximity and then a shutter type structure on the top that you can either open and let the breeze flow through or close when you are on the balcony enjoying the outdoors. Room looks great don't get hung up on the door.
1 Like   November 7, 2012 at 8:22AM
kazt
I like this idea!
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 8:23AM
kazt
I like this idea!
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 8:24AM
PRO
michaeladamalpert
I think that you need to see this window as a wall. The reason it feels to me like it doesn't work is that not only does your eye see this as confusion in the room because there are to many things or lines going on, but the outside house adds to that. I suggest hanging drapes that have a black out curtain behind. The side panels can hang there all the time and the door panels can be pulled to the center or sides when you want the daylight in. The panels should be nice and crisp, tailored. see drawing. This cleans the area and creates a more zen like view. BTW this entire wall can be whatever color you want, just do the entire wall. I realize that you asked how it can be spiced up, I felt by creating a cleaner visual the spicing could happen in the way the room gets designed and I have always felt that creating a clear visual allows one to see where the punch goes and punch works best with a color choice or art work, or bedding, but first is to have your eye not have too many areas of visual noise. If you need color perhaps a stripe in either direction could be a nice added touch. ( see below for example )

michaeladamalpert.com
michaeladamalpert@gmail.com
1 Like   November 7, 2012 at 9:44AM
karelina
Lots of good ideas! Dump the valance which detracts from the nice ceiling line and unify the the wall with something you like for when the balcony is not being used. Follow tonline's ideas and add privacy to the balcony so you can use it. Lattice might be nice with climbing plants in pots. Find something evergreen and you'll have privacy all year.
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 10:30AM
PRO
michaeladamalpert
(here is the example from above)
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 10:35AM
iamchickaddd
I don't care for the closed in feeling with the side panels. How about the windows with the built-in blinds that are inside the two glass window panels.
2 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 10:47AM
PRO
michaeladamalpert
The room is from what I see is already a bit cold which is why I thought to add the drapes and the valance I agreed needed to go, but again this doesn't deal with the problem with the busy look on the side wall areas.
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 11:02AM
PRO
InteriorsbyDesign
Window wall would not work IMO, as it looks too heavy and there is a radiator to the left of the door. The drapery cannot be placed directly over a rad, as it is a fire hazard, would block the heat from the room, and also would eventually discolor the panels.
1 Like   November 7, 2012 at 11:02AM
apple_pie_order
InteriorsbyDesign is right: the radiator makes curtain stackback on the left a very bad idea. I did not notice the radiator the first time, sorry.

How about two blinds which stack above the doors? Either cellular shades or Roman blinds would work. It looks like there's enough space for either. Miniblinds might also work.
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 11:23AM
jvanasu
Just choose the style/mood/the culture you want to create and use these elements to create with:
Screen, but paint the frame black or use the same (color) wood as the floor. Bamboo if you want to an Asian feel, natural wood for a modern or beach feel, etc.
Inside the screen use white linen fabric which is opaque but let's in the light. If it is hinged you can change it to change your view at will. A great decorators tool.
Ficus tree (or two). Don't know where you live but if the weather permits, grow a ficus tree in a big pot out there on the deck, maybe two. This will soften the view.
Railing: If you also enclosed the railing, you would have a very nice deck. Same applies here as the screen, have the carpentry and materials reflect the mood/style you're going for.
Awning: You could even hang a canvas awning over the exterior of window if you want to control your view even more.
Nice, room. Have fun!
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 2:25PM
pam405
I agree I hate vertical blinds. But they do a good job of blocking off the sun if it is really strong. Consider adding a rod with texture sheers in front of the vertical blinds, to soften them. You could also add 2 panels and knot them in the middle. This pcture doesn't quite do it justice but it is very pretty
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 3:12PM
PRO
michaeladamalpert
Ok, I feel like I went flying blind. I cannot make out a radiator, but if I could I wouldn't care, if you like the feel of the fabric then you can work out that issue by stopping the drapes at the radiator, if it doesn't have a box to cover it, have one made, then hire a local decorative artist and have them match the drape you choose, it is not a big issue. I don't have an idea of your budget, but you can get a new finisher to do a very good job and not have it be ridiculous in price. I would have the color match the walls, or if you keep it white or off white find the same color fabric, I would use linen or raw silk and have it have a gentle texture and a nice satin shimmer. Or if you dont mind it open and with some of your privacy taken, paint the frame and surrounds painted to match the walls but use satin impervo (oil based) this will be a gentle transition to the exterior. The impervo paint will never match exactly the walls which should be flat. This creates a very sophisticated slight change, then landscape the balcony by putting a plant or tree and incase the entire balcony with the same tree so it creates a wall that as time goes by will fill in and you can have the balcony come into the room. I attached images below, good luck!!!!
michaeladamalpert.com
michaeladamalpert@gmail.com
1 Like   November 7, 2012 at 10:49PM
Louise Hougaard
I love the ideas. Im concidering panels, but im not sure about the colour yet, and love the idea of adding wallpaper to frame the window. Im definetly adding som sort of plants on the balcony (i live in Denmark, so it has to be something that can tolerate the changing weather conditions)
I have this carpet with alot of stripes, and i LOOOVE it.. (it's colours are much more warm that in the pic).
And my brown sofa (ikea - so the colour of tge fabric can be changed)

Any new ideas? :)
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 5:32AM
tontine13
Love the rug...so much colour...you can have any colour you want with this...whatever you do post the finished item so we can see it! I like the light green in the rug and would pick a wallpaper to match with a cream background or aneglyptic wallpaper and paint in a shade lighter, more watery colour. You gotta find a way of bringing in the ceiling as it is so fabulous.
1 Like   November 8, 2012 at 6:49AM
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 7:03AM
sngglebnny
I really like that you are spicing the room up with a rug and complementary sofa. There really isn't anything wrong with the room that needs a total overhaul in design, in my opinion. Unless you are dying to try out a particular design, keep it simple and layer in different fabrics and textures.
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 7:24AM
nevadan
Here are some of the advantages of vertical blinds: They make the room look taller. They look like part of the architecture. They control light and privacy totally with a tiny gesture. The can be matched precisely to the wall. They look very good from outside. They are very clean. They are almost indestructable. They are classic. They go well with any simple decor. They don't blow aroung in the wind. I have lived with them in offices for the last 20 years and I think they are the greatest. Would not want them in my living room, dining room, kirchen, or den, however.
1 Like   November 8, 2012 at 8:31AM