Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Odd shaped room
takemethere
November 6, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Need help! This is the only furniture we have for this room and I need help arranging it. It's a play room for my 1 and 2 year old but also a sitting room. I have no idea how to dress the bay window. The dining room is off it and its the first room you see when you enter the house. I've tried every which way. That's not a coffee table btw it's a play table for the kids. Thanks!!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
PH Interiors, LLC
My first suggestion is to either lose the double chair or center it in the bay window. I would then add drape panels on the side bay windows with a holdback so that they don't cover too much of the windows. And looking at the green pillows on your sofa, pick that color up in the panels. This would brighten and freshen up the room making it kid friendly but not too childish. I would also replace the small pictures next to the window with larger ones. I think these few things would give you a whole new room. Good luck. (Love the map too!)
3 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 11:45AM
Sherry VanNorstran
One thing I would do is get the couch away from that beautiful window and show that off more...then try thinking outside the box by not putting all your furniture on the walls --- try a conversational cluster in the middle and out from that window....hard to explain but hope this helps give you an idea or two
6 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 11:50AM
PRO
Intelligent Design
Just some quick questions - I cant tell by the pictures - are the walls on either side of the bay parallel to each other? Also, the shelving unit is it one or two separate pieces? Thoughts on the bay window treatments - if it is a playroom for 1 and 2 yearolds - what about a simple valance across the top of all three windows rather than panels that hang down? They would be up and out of the way of little fingers. I agree with PH to remove the little pictures and maybe hang them together on a smaller wall? The reason I ask about the shelving - could it be separated and moved apart to the right and left corners and the double chair placed between them? (kind of a radical idea and don't know if there is room) Another idea is to pull the double chair and kind-of divide the room into two - have the chair o or love seat purpendicular to the couch on the far edge of your rug and either move the chair and ottoman into the bay or the play table?
2 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 11:56AM
PRO
Intelligent Design
That is exactly what I was trying to describe! Yes Sherryz28!! I like your phrase 'conversational cluster' great description and short and sweet as opposed to my LONG suggestion! :-)
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 12:03PM
greenthumb2
I love the colors of the couch w/ green pillows and your map. good combo. If your bookcase is not movable, and you need all the seating to remain in that room, try to find another area for the bookcase and ottoman. Can the bookcase be placed in the hallway off this room? The bookcase is stealing valuable wall space. The ottoman is sealing floor space. Buy two large creates on wheels for under the kid's table so you have somewhere to store their toys and allow them easy access. Large fabrics squares can be draped over curtain rods to tie in the green/white/map colors. I would pick up the colors in the pillows, as PH suggested. Good challenge!
2 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 12:22PM
marycifuentes
smaller rug, a kids rug or something bright! show the flooring, will make it look bigger...do u have a theme for the play room???will you paint? a mural maybe...remove some of the furniture except the chair w/ottoman (good place to rock kids to sleep and read for you). play table-put in middle window facing out- so kids can be inspired when they draw. bay window-roman shades, i have these in my 2 year old son's room in red.
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 1:05PM
Ruth Tekell
If you want it to continue being a kids room, I'd recommend installing double doors in the opening so you can close it off when you don't want people to see it first when they come in. If you don't want to continue using it as a kids room, the bay window can be treated just like any other window, but you'll probably have to hem drapes and the rods can be a pain. The easiest way is to have interior mount shades. Shades come in thousands of different designs, textures, functionalities and if you're going to keep the kid motif I'm sure you'd find some fun kid designs on shades. If you don't like the bay windows, you can sort of ignore them more easily by putting drapes across the whole bay just as if there was a row of windows there and not a few feet out. I've seen both treatments at the same time--;'olll;u inside mount shades on the windows and drapes straight across the whole bay. It presented a very nice layered look -- lots of opportunities there for color and textures. If it will not be for kids, and it gets good light, it's often a great place for house plants, hanging baskets, and even sun-catchers. But what I would NOT do is add frilly curtains with a busy pattern on the shades. In other words, show off the windows and daylight rather than interfering with their natural beauty with busy clutter. Nice windows, like yours don't HAVE to be dressed at all except for privacy and direct sunlight. If those aren't issues for you, stay minimal. And the less furniture the better. Go for a piece or two of functional furniture that really make a statement. Then soften it with pillows, books, light and wall color. If you really want it to be a show case, you might go dramatic on the wall color. Either way, start with taking everything out. Slowly add things back in that you really like, and you can't go wrong.
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 3:44PM
decoenthusiaste
Nice furnishings. With toddlers, I'd do away with the coffee table due to corners and noggin bumpers. Try a big soft round hassock. Would also put doors at the opening to hide the room when it gets out of control. Valances are smart with grubby hands a possibility. Move the double chair sofa out in the center with its back to the bookcase, snugging up the conversation area. Lower the two pieces of art about 10" and add the lantern from the pedestal to the big open shelf with basket. You might like to take a tutorial on arranging decorative shelves here on Houzz. Add a rocking chair in the bay.
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 4:03PM
sdrooks
I'd make two seating areas, put loveseat on wall where bookcase is with coffee table in front and matching chair and ottomon on left side caddy corner, keep white couch where it is and put game table with 2 or 4 chairs in bay window depending on what size will fit. Move bookcase to wall where blue chair is now and if it splits put one stack on either side of doorway from front hall..small white table with lamp on left of white couch and floor lamp between loveseat and chair/ottoman combination..add curtain panels at bay windows on curtain rod from ceiling as well as bamboo shades for some texture and then group 4 small pictures in some kind of cluster over loveseat
2 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 4:24PM
takemethere
So I moved the love seat in and opened the window. Love it!! Thanks for that ..
As for the wall unit, it's one piece and I've had it on the wall w the map and the white couch in its place, but I didn't like how a couch was the focal point. Behind the love seat is the changing table so that works!
I feel like everything should be shifted further back toward the wall but if I do that, the white couch runs into the dining room. I feel like the kids table (was a dinner table we cut the legs) is too big for the room but its solid and perfect for playing.
I can't thank you guys enough what a blessing to get suggestions!
We are working with donated furniture as we lost everything including our house in hurricane Irene but made it through sandy! Keep the ideas coming
5 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 4:45PM
takemethere
Sdrooks-
I like your suggestions as well but the bookcase won't fit where you're suggesting as it is one piece.

Yes the wall on both sides of the window are parallel and equal in size. I only have these 8x10s there as I'm working on a sep photo montage for each child on their own wall.
Maybe get rid of the bookcase entirely? I like the idea of two seating areas.
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 4:50PM
takemethere
So I moved it to this wall, and if I corner it it's overwhelming. It hangs over the wall about 3 inches. Is this bad? :/ I'm lost.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 5:08PM
takemethere
Trying ..
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 5:16PM
Alex Kelekou
If I understand correctly, you have 2 openings at the room. Maybe you can close the one near the bookcase, so as to center your coutch to the bay window. Then you can paint the wall behind the coutch with white/light green stripes (as your pillows or chair color). My suggestions depend on whether you want to separate the room into sitting room and playroom or watch out for the kids while you're with your friends. As for curtains see the photos and choose white or beige or light green or white/ light green stripes as the wall.

1. If you want to watch out for the kids then I suggest you create a seating bench with storage for the toys and propably ask for a drawer that becomes a small table for kids to play at and use your coffee table as coffee table at last! And paint it white! Then I'd get rid of the bookcase as I see you don't have any books and create a reading corner at the ex-opening, with shelves above it for decorating or even books, placing the small table with the lamp on it and the chair w/ottoman facing the window. I'd get rid of the 2 sitted coutch and leave enough room at that corner for kids to isolate when you have friends but still be in the room. Probably place there the caballete. You can hang some kids drawing for decoration. Then take the bigger photos from the wall with the bookcase and replace the little ones. Maybe the little ones can be placed where the chair used to be.

2. If you want to separate the room into two, then place the two coutches parallel and closer to the window leaving a corridor/ way to the end of the room or creating a corner and let the kids play behind the coutch

3. Now in case you don't like the bay window, then place curtains to hide it and put the 2seated couch facing the other coutch and the coffee table in the middle and leave everything as it is. There you have it! Hope I helped. Greetings from Athens, Greece!
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 5:35PM
sdrooks
wish i was there to help you, I love moving furniture and space planning..it seems like the best bet is the seating area in the front with the white couch, blue chair and loveseat facing out to doorway..if you keep wall unit on wall where you had it for toy storage..behind the couch can be the play area for the kids then you don't see floor toys and stuff when you first walk in..although not sure how that view is from dining room...ls there room to put the game table behind couch so the kids can color and do projects on that and get a smaller coffee table for seating/conversation area..is there room for two small straight back chairs and a little round table or some kind of side table ( maybe your brown one ) between under window?
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 5:41PM
sdrooks
or bench type window seat with maybe storage baskets under window..they always have stuff like that at HomeGoods if you have one near you..or from home decorators catalogue which is usually pretty affordable
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 5:45PM
takemethere
I definitely agree with the fact that a window seat would be amazing. That isn't in the budget right now because I want it custom. As for a play area, yes there is room for a play table which I think I'll do, but not yet because at 2.5 and 15 months they climb on everything. Playing behind the couch isn't a great idea because I need to see all angles for right now at this age. The pics are where the hubby and I are at right now. We decided to do away with a changing table, and deal w the wall unit overlapping the window a tad. A curtain panel will cover that imperfection anyhow, right? We went shopping around our house and here is where we are at :
Btw the "coffee/play" table is temporary till I get a different option.
Yes I LOVE home goods.
We just had to house repainted all neutrals for now till I can stop changing my mind
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 6:15PM
takemethere
Do u suggest a bay window rod set? Or just regular rods (3)
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 6:16PM
takemethere
The easel isn't staying there it's just in my wake lol
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 6:18PM
sdrooks
That looks good, I think I would put big coffee table in front of white couch and smaller one in front of love seat, maybe something like bench from front hall as coffee table in front of loveseat..Was there enough room to center loveseat on back wall and put chair more caddy corner or perpendicular to loveseat? Just a thought
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 6:33PM
sdrooks
I like just panels on sides of bay windows from rods as high as they can go to make the room look taller...
2 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 6:36PM
takemethere
More?
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 7:12PM
decoenthusiaste
What about putting the bookcase where the white couch is and moving the couch around to face the other seating with its back to the door? I don't think you've tried the chair and footstool in the bay yet, have you? It will work as long as you don't get tired of trying different ideas.!
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 7:19PM
sdrooks
I like that...too bad the bookcase is 1 inch too long, but other than that I think you did a great job..Now you just have to lower and center and lower mirror and pics over couch and maybe put floor lamp back in on left of white couch...did I see a small round table or garden stool type piece in one of the pics...that could look nice to right of loveseat ...
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 7:24PM
takemethere
? Couch flipped?
No room side tables

Yes I've tried the chair in the bay several times, it ends up that the love seat looks lonely
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 7:42PM
takemethere
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 7:46PM
sdrooks
I liked the white couch on the wall opposite the bookcase, then you can put a tv in if you want.... I thought the pics from a step ago looked like it worked..or when you had the loveseat facing out in the middle of the room with the chair in corner by hallway entrance with bookcase on far wall..either of those set ups seem to work to me and looks like a cozy room..your back must hurt by now...
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 7:56PM
sdrooks
I liked the white couch on the wall opposite the bookcase, then you can put a tv in if you want.... I thought the pics from a step ago looked like it worked..or when you had the loveseat facing out in the middle of the room with the chair in corner by hallway entrance with bookcase on far wall..either of those set ups seem to work to me and looks like a cozy room..your back must hurt by now...
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 7:56PM
takemethere
I really appreciate everyone's suggestions !! I'm so blessed - this is my first time on houzz, and I'm astonished ! Back to the last set of pics - I had to atleast try since everyone has taken the time.
Ill b posting my next room. !!
Thanks sooo much!
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 8:16PM
PRO
Stacey Gibson
You are doing an amazing job working through the different layouts! You will find something you love!
1 Like   November 7, 2012 at 6:29AM
PRO
InteriorsbyDesign
Due to the layout, size, and entrance openings, there aren't many floor plan options for this room. if the bookcase has to stay in this space, the best location for it is on the wall to the right of the bay window, near the dining room opening(where it is shown in your 1st photo).
I think you do have too many seating pieces for this space. I would lose the loveseat, if at all possible.
Keep the white sofa centered on the wall across from the bay, with the cocktail table in front of it. You can also remove the cocktail table all together from this space; since your kids are little, and it would give them more floor space to play on.
The chair without the ottoman can go in the corner near the foyer entrance to the room, with either a floor lamp next to it, or a smaller end table with lamp. You don't want to cram too much furniture in the space if it is to be used as a play area. I would not put any more furniture in here, and keep the bay area open. You may be able to use the ottoman if you don't have the cocktail table, but I think it is tight near the entry to the room.If you keep the loveseat, which I do not recommend, it looks like if you move it towards the white sofa; the piece may be blocking entrance to the dining room...not such a good arrangement.
You can do long, floor-length panels on a bay window rod. These have corner connectors that fit into the bay. I would place them a few inches up above the wood frames, to give the look of more height. You can use two panels on the ends and leave the center open. The panels can drape to the side with brackets, and hang on rings. You can also hang one panel on each end, and two in the center. They end panels can then be pulled open to each end. The center two panels would open and be pushed toward each side(one to the left, one to the right). You can look on Ballard Designs, Pottery barn, etc... for both panels and ideas.
1 Like   November 7, 2012 at 12:22PM
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Liked the set-up where you had centered the love seat on end wall and angled chair - it was a lone photo and it looked like best arrangement - do like your moxy - am truly sorry to hear bout your loss with hurricane Irene -
1 Like   November 7, 2012 at 12:42PM
krismort
I don't know if you want any more suggestions but I'm liking one of the earlier pics with the loveseat (that's what I've always called a double chair) in front of the bookcase. The bookcase hanging over the edge would really bother me. Plus in some of the later pictures you have things in the doorways which makes the room look cluttered. I don't know that you need a changing table in here, I assume it's not very far to the bedroom for diaper changes. Or keep a changing pad on a shelf, in a basket or decorative box, and change the diapers on the floor. That's what I did with my babies and I'm assuming that if you're young enough to be having babies you're still able to get up off the floor!

I was thinking there was too much furniture in the room but really I think it's just that the coffee/play table is just too big for the scale of the room. If you don't have a changing table, maybe the play table could go behind the loveseat and toys could be kept in baskets or boxes on the shelves. Smaller side tables should be enough to keep a magazine or two or to set down a drink.

I agree that the rug is too big for the space. I know you want a soft place for the kids to crawl around and play but if it were smaller I think the room would look more put together. The rug is too close to the bay window area which takes away from the interest of having that wall bumped out. If there were more floor space there, you could put the easel in the window area along with a couple of baskets where you could keep a few art supplies and/or magazines or whatever. And don't think this has to be and either/or room. We don't hide our children away so why hide the fact that they play and spend time with Mom and Dad? I think, with organization and being dutiful with keeping clutter out of sight of the front hall, this room could serve both as a play room and a sitting room.
1 Like   November 7, 2012 at 12:49PM
alwaysdesigning
I have a similar sitting area but much smaller. I hae two loveseats that are situated perpendicular to the window wall, facing each other, with each having a small table and lamp at the sofa end against the wall they are against. Then there is walking space behind the sofas where we have antique bookcases sitting full of books; we are able to move behind the sofas to get to those. The sofas sit on a very large area rug. We then have room to walk past the sofas but not through the seating area, to get to another area of the room. There is no coffee table; not enough room. I have enjoyed this arrangement in two of our houses now. Good luck;a similar example attached
[houzz=
]
1 Like   November 7, 2012 at 1:06PM
greenthumb2
You are an inspiration. So glad you have a place to be, warm and protected. Sorry about the Sandy mess....
2 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 1:36PM
PRO
Intelligent Design
What a workout!! But that is the only way I work :0). I'm so visual that I have to actually move the furniture to see what I like. You are doing a great job and your husband must have the patience of Job to go through all if this!!

I really liked the set up where you appeared to have moved (from the original set-up) only the love seat to perp of the white sofa and removed the ottoman and changing table. I agree to leave the changing tbl out completely. I wonder how it would be to move the kids play table in the bay window area? Also, to 'fun' up the bookcase, how about some coordinating colored baskets for the lower shelves for toys etc?? It's looking really good.

Also I'm so sorry to hear of your difficulties during Irene and then now Sandy! I can't even begin to imagine... Blessings to you.
2 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 8:12PM
mugsy1703
In the end, you just have too much stuff and too many things going on in this room. I can understand that this is necessary, but it is never going to be showroom quality if you are also using it as a playroom and it is hard to group furniture is a cosy way if it all has too be against the wall in order to make enough playspace. That's just life ...
1 Like   November 11, 2012 at 4:58AM
takemethere
Thanks for your comment. With the kids still babies, having anything in our house considered show room quality just isn't an option. Or a necessity for that matter. Everything is second hand so I'm working w what we got. For this fam, THAT'S life. :)
2 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 7:08AM