Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Dark or light wood floor?
nruscio
November 6, 2012 in Design Dilemma
What kind of floor? And backsplash? Should we replace Formica with granite? And yes replacing the black appliances!!!and yes I have to do all this on a budget! Thank you!!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Stoneshop
I absolutely love the rich color of your cabinets! I would recommend choosing a similar color for your floors. I would also highly consider replacing your Formica countertops for granite. It will add value to your home and look stunning. Many stone galleries (including ours) are currently running specials for the holidays to help keep the price down. Once your countertop choice is finalized and installed, then tackle your backsplash.

Oh and I think that your appliances look fine!
November 6, 2012 at 11:10am     
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
What other flooring does the kitchen floor intersect? My first instinct is to say a tile that looks like wood. Yes, I would change out the countertop if it is in your budget and agree with Stoneshop. Find the countertop and then shop for the backsplash.
November 6, 2012 at 11:15am   
nruscio
Are you in Colorado? And you sell flooring and granite?
November 6, 2012 at 11:15am   
PRO
Stoneshop
I agree with Deborah--tile that looks like wood is a great flooring material. There are so many options available on the market, too.

We are located in New Jersey, sorry! We sell tile (flooring, walls, backsplashes, etc), granite, sinks, and faucets. We would be happy to ship tile to you! However, we can't ship the granite. I appreciate your interest! :)

Check out your local stone dealers and galleries. Most businesses are pretty good about updating their websites with pictures of their current granite stock. However, be sure to view the slab in person before making a purchase.
November 6, 2012 at 11:30am   
nruscio
awesome thank you!
November 6, 2012 at 11:35am   
PRO
Kala Construction Inc.
I would suggest to go with Dark hardwoods floors as they are both dramatic and sophisticated, from elegant ebony to a ruddy cherry. Pair dark floors with light furnishings for a thoroughly modern combination. Use dark floors as a foundation for rooms filled with light-colored slip covers and area rugs.
November 6, 2012 at 12:16pm     
camillealbert
Agree with Kala. Dark floors would be very rich looking. Your appliances look fine. Don't know if you are thinking of stainless, but let me tell you, stainless is a big pain to keep clean esp. In a sunny room. Shows every fingerprint.
November 6, 2012 at 12:23pm   
nruscio
That's so funny that everyone says appliances look fine. I think it just bothers me!lol this is our refrigerator it is Called "platinum" when they delivered it is when I noticed it wasn't stainless steel! They wouldn't take it back so that's why I feel like the appliances are 3 different colors
November 6, 2012 at 12:29pm   
PRO
Media Decor
Beautiful cabinets! In terms of budget sequence: First the floors in a dark wood. Second, granite counters. Third, back splash. Lastly appliances.
November 6, 2012 at 12:36pm     
nruscio
Great thanks!!
November 6, 2012 at 1:12pm   
greenthumb2
You should really research counter tops before going hands down for granite. If you are really hard on your homes, get granite. But it will take a huge piece of your budget. A great floor will give you equal joy. If on a slab, consider plank tile (looks like wood) or if you cannot afford see about making a statement somewhere in home if all floors are being re-done. For example, border inlay in entrance. You can get really creative with back splashes now. Tons of choices. If you like to do one wipe cleanup - steer clear of high maintenance finishes. Do your appliances last. If they are good appliances right now and in perfect working order, you'd be surprise what you can live with if all other renovation makes you happy. Beware of too many cool colors in kitchen. Grey looks pretty but it can be a downer.
November 6, 2012 at 1:14pm   
PRO
ct design studio
I would actually suggest going a little lighter than your cabinets on the floor, whether wood, tile, or wood look tile. Dark floors are very rich but they show scratches, footprints, dust, fur, much much more. Why clean more than you have to? Also dark floor, dark cabinets, presumably dark granite, dark appliances, you see where I'm going here. Going lighter on the floor will allow you to go medium to dark tones for your countertops. I would make the appliances phase 2 and start with flooring and countertops/backsplash.

Suggestions just for color
2 cook kitchens
Kitchen

Good luck!
November 6, 2012 at 1:32pm   
Michelle Blake
Have you ever considered concrete countertops? You can get them in any design, even to look like granite. And it is less expensive. So something to consider....
November 6, 2012 at 4:51pm   
More Discussions
What type of glass inserts should we get?
Transitional kitchen/great room, Carrera marble subway...
Lighting design
I'm building a new house and need to decide on my lighting....
This or That: Nonstick VS Stainless Steel
Which do you prefer? Vote for your choice below...
What colors to use with hunter green countertops
I am redecorating my kitchen and would like color scheme...
Dream Bathroom
If you could have any bathroom you want, what would...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.