Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with sofa/tv placement
cpaige29
November 6, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Only one wall in living room which would typically be used to TV. If sofa went against the one wall then room would feel much more open but then where would the TV go? There are also balcony doors that aren't used that much..help! Dimensions are 13'8" sliding glass door wall
9'2" TV wall
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Inspired Interiors by Wendi, IIDA
I would place the sofa in front of the sliding glass doors, facing the wall and mount the tv there. Just be sure you leave enough room to walk around the sofa in case you want to go out onto the balcony.
November 6, 2012 at 12:54PM     
cpaige29
not sure that would work since this is what would be across from the couch, a coat closet and kitchen bar
November 6, 2012 at 1:10PM   
PRO
Where is the tv wall? I assumed it was opposite the sliding doors. Is it perpendicular?
November 6, 2012 at 1:13PM   
cpaige29
does this help?
November 6, 2012 at 1:15PM   
PRO
Just Jill! Interiors
Seems to me that you have a natural walkway behind the breakfast bar. Why not use a corner cabinet and put the TV in the corner where the dude is is this picture? It would also alleviate any glare issues you may encounter. The sofa can go along the same path as the breakfast bar (make sure that you leave a 24" path between the back of the stools and the back of the sofa.
November 6, 2012 at 1:28PM     
PRO
Yes! I would place the tv on the wall and float the sofa in the room across from it (perpendicular to the doors). That will leave wide open access to the balcony and let in all of that natural light. Just be sure to place a table behind the sofa so you don't see the back of it when you enter the room.
November 6, 2012 at 1:30PM   
cpaige29
do you think a sectional would work? would you still keep the tv on a media stand or mount on wall?
November 6, 2012 at 1:33PM     
cpaige29
this was another option but again, no where to put the tv
November 6, 2012 at 1:34PM   
PRO
The shape of a sectional would work, but the size of it would overwhelm the room. A sofa and two chairs would be a better option. You can do either with the tv, depending on whether your taste is more traditional or modern.
November 6, 2012 at 1:37PM   
cpaige29
original choice...this is with a sectional
November 6, 2012 at 1:39PM   
PRO
I really like the floor plan you just posted! But I would get a sofa without a chaise as it blocks the sliding doors. The tv on a swing arm is a great option.
November 6, 2012 at 1:42PM   
cpaige29
the door opens to the right so it wouldn't block the entry/exit of the balcony....don't you think a tv on a swing is a bit awkward? i like that plan too since it is much more open...but again rooms revolve around tv placement sometimes and i have to have a tv!
November 6, 2012 at 1:44PM   
PRO
My previous post was regarding the first floor plan, but the second plan is what I originally had in mind (minus the sectional).
November 6, 2012 at 1:44PM   
PRO
Just Jill! Interiors
I am never a big fan of blocking doors...especially when they are glass doors that lend themselves to light. I also don't see seating (really comfy seating) for more than two of you. And unless that chair is a swivel recliner, no one can really use it.

What are the room dimensions? Be careful about furniture scale here!

A sectional is great in theory but not reality...you really won't have a great escape route from a bad movie. I would put the TV in a corner unit where the chaise is positioned now and have it face the little chair area. You could use two chairs (same exact chairs, same fabric placed next to each other...in lieu of a love seat that you never get two people to sit in together) and have them face the TV. A round table will be the "hinge" piece and place the sofa parallel to the bar. Chairside end table to on the open end of sofa and chair. Large square ottoman will allow everyone to put their feet up.

Let me know what you think and feel about this...we can adjust what you need...
November 6, 2012 at 1:45PM   
PRO
I don't think the tv on a swing arm is awkward at all, as it folds up flat against the wall when not in use. I would go with this option, as it is much more open (as you noted).
November 6, 2012 at 1:47PM   
cpaige29
13'8" sliding glass door wall
9'2" TV wall
7'8" wall with den door
6'11" wall with buffet
November 6, 2012 at 1:55PM   
cpaige29
@ justjill great suggestions but i need a sofa for lounging and entertaining..i can't just have chairs in the living room
November 6, 2012 at 1:57PM   
PRO
Just Jill! Interiors
sofa and chairs is what I was thinking...instead of two sectional sides. I think you may regret not having enough room for end tables and therefore no place for lamps or a drink. The 3x3 chair is awesome but will you ever really use it? On the 8'11" area you could do this: 17" W chairside end, 72' side sofa, 24" round end. Could do an 80" sofa if you get an 14" wide end. Where the 6'10" piece is could be two 30"W x 38"D chairs. A 36x36 ottoman in the center. What do you think?
November 6, 2012 at 2:55PM   
cpaige29
@justjill i am confused by what you mean with "chairside end"? could you provide some examples of that??? also what do you recommend i do for the tv? keep on media stand or mount on wall and console below..i would appreciate any pictures of items!!
November 7, 2012 at 9:45AM   
cpaige29
would you do a round or square ottoman? no coffee table?
November 7, 2012 at 9:51AM   
cpaige29
room for dining table?
November 7, 2012 at 11:37AM   
PRO
Just Jill! Interiors
Wow! Lots for a little room! Dining table for everyday, probably not with a full size sofa in there as well. Here is one of my favorite solutions: www.stakmore.com and look at their cabinet folding tables. You could use that in this small space easily. I would do an ottoman since you said that you like to lounge. Ottomans are great multifunction pieces--which is key to small spaces. It's a table, it's a chair and a footstool. I would go square so that you have foot rest access from any seat in the vicinity. Sorry: chair side tables are smaller end tables. An end table averages 18-24 inches in width. A chair side table averages 14-17 inches wide. Enough for a lamp and a glass. AA Laun has some one their website if you need a visual. Good luck!!
November 7, 2012 at 12:48PM