Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Laminate or Wood?
cpaige29
November 6, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Just purchased a condo and plan to stay there for no more than 5 years and then sell. Need to redo floors as it is carpet and vinyl in the kitchen. Advice? Love the look of dark wide plank wood but would it make the space too small? Also, opinions on hardwood in the bedroom to keep things consistent or should i stick to carpet in the bedroom?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
olldcan
Carpet and vinyl????Nicccceeee!!!!! Dark wide floors look great BUT there a bear to keep clean. Every piece of lint, hair etc shows up not to mention every tiny scratch. If your looking to get your money back or make a buck do hardwood everywhere in a mid range colour. I hate laminate floors for many reasons and nobody has that much time for me to list every single one of them, don't waste your money, they're garbage.
2 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 1:23PM
PRO
ct design studio
You will get your money back on the real deal, homebuyers are becoming more savvy. Also it is becoming more popular in bedrooms, it would be a nice selling point as well as nicer from a design standpoint.

If you have a fairly open floor plan, a wide plank can visually stretch the space. If your condo is choppy, you may want to go a little narrower. And I agree the dark stains are beautiful but they really do show everything so that is something to consider if you will mind the maintenance. A warm, midrange tone will be a lot more forgiving, versatile in styling and appealing to a range of homebuyers.

Good luck!
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 1:39PM
cpaige29
Do you have suggestions of midrange tone colors? I need engineered wood in the unit. Unit is fairly small
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 1:42PM
olldcan
Nothing to light like a blond maple just a medium range, stay away from the woods that have an orange hue to them. Here's the thing, the dark colours come and go as quickly as the light ones do so by staying in the middle you'll always be okay. I've recently chosen a grey hardwood floor, not silver grey and it's not almost black either, just a light charcoal. There's tons of colours so once you get into the flooring store you'll easily spot the mid range tones.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 1:51PM
PRO
ct design studio
Do you have trim and if so what is it?
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 1:52PM
olldcan
@ ct design studio, I hope I wasn't too ballsie. I chose an almost black trim and doors, chrome lever handles.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 1:58PM
cpaige29
it is white trim
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 1:58PM
cpaige29
can you see in this picture?
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 1:59PM
PRO
ct design studio
You want to avoid anything too yellow, too orange or too red. Sounds hard but when you get to the flooring store you will see what I mean. Midrange is a nice warm brown, usually has a name like sable, praline, spice, saddle, etc. If you have stained wood trim you'll need to go either lighter or darker. Don't try to match it, it will be obvious it doesn't. If you have white or no trim you are good.
http://www.mullicanflooring.com/PRODUCTS/ENGINEERED/CHALMETTE/CHALMAPLEBROWN.html http://www.mullicanflooring.com/PRODUCTS/ENGINEERED/CHALMETTE/CHALPROVHICKRY.html
olldcan
What are the cabinets are they white too
PRO
ct design studio
Candace, sounds pretty cool! Good for you for doing what you love! It's one thing for me to stand in a clients home and suggest things out of the box, I've seen the space, I've met them. But on houzz I feel I have to err on the side of caution and go with timeless selection.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 2:02PM
cpaige29
what about cork?
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 2:02PM
olldcan
Cork is nice underfoot but I don't think it's a popular as hardwood in terms of resale. I wouldn't want it.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 2:06PM
PRO
ct design studio
If you are serious about resale I would advise against cork. It is pretty, and soft underfoot. It's soft, some punctures heal themselves but can be irrepairable, also needs rewaxing to keep it sealed. It could be a turnoff for potential buyers.
PRO
ct design studio
Need to signoff, will check back tomorrow, good luck!
cpaige29
cabinets are hideous white..that will be a project down the road as well
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 2:09PM
charleee
klubbingurl, if you hate your cabinets, paint the boxes to match the doors and add hardware. I think you'll like them better.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 2:38PM
cpaige29
@bobbi what do you mean paint the boxes
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 10:19AM
PRO
ct design studio
I'm pretty sure Bobbi is suggesting painting the cabinet boxes (the storage part), the face frame and sides white so you see less of the oak.
1 Like   November 7, 2012 at 11:57AM
charleee
Oh, sorry, yes like ct design says. If your boxes and doors match you may not mind them so much.

Thanks ct!
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 12:24PM
cpaige29
so paint the whole thing white?
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 12:25PM
cpaige29
is there a specific type of paint?
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 12:26PM
charleee
Yes ma'am, paint the whole thing white. What are your cabinets made of? Are they made of real wod or a plastic laminate?
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 12:27PM
cpaige29
I was told that its the shavings from wood and then put into a product to hold together?? don't know the exact name...looks like wood inside but the fronts are almost like cork with a piece of laminate on top (thats the white you see)
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 12:29PM
charleee
Ok, that's probably particle board. But still it should have a coating on the top, either plastic or wood. If it's plastic painting won't be as successful. But I'm betting you have a wood veneer on top. From your picture it looks like it could be either one.
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 12:35PM
cpaige29
so is there a specific type of paint. I would first peel off the laminate right?
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 12:36PM
charleee
Oh no no no, if you peel off the laminate (which is probably either heat set, or bonded) your boxes will fall apart, don't do that! If the veneer is wood on top of the particle board, regular paint. If it's a plastic laminate made to look like wood, it's doubtful painting would be successful, the paint would just chip and peel off. Once you figure out which type of veneer you have talk to someone knowledgeable at the paint store and ask them for a recommendation for painting. Without being there, it's hard for me to tell what kind of veneer you have.
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 12:41PM
cpaige29
well just fyi on most of the cabinets and same in the bathroom the laminate is already coming off or ripped:(
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 12:42PM
PRO
ct design studio
Why don't you take a door to the paint store, that way you will get the right information the first time. Like Bobbi said it's hard to do online sometimes.
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 12:43PM
cpaige29
thats a good idea...should be interesting taking it off though...i come from a not very handy family
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 12:44PM
charleee
Ok, if that is happening you most likely have plastic laminate. Do talk to the guys at the paint store, and do look into a fairly new product that everyone is raving about, it's called Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations. It's supposed to make your cabinets look brand new. There's one for countertops, as well. If I lived near you I would come over and help you!
1 Like   November 7, 2012 at 12:44PM
charleee
To remove a cabinet door you only need a screwdriver, usually there are 6 screws holding the hinge on to the cabinet.
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 12:45PM
cpaige29
geez bobbi p..do u have to live in cali, couldn't be further away
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 12:49PM
PRO
ct design studio
Yep just open the door and the hinge will be right there. Bobbi forgot to mention in addition to a screwdriver you need thumbs. Can't do it without thumbs :)

Seriously though, I think given the condition and age of the cabinets you should have a second person hold the door as you take the screws out so the door doesn't sag as the screws come out then rip out some of the screws because of the weight of the door.
1 Like   November 7, 2012 at 12:51PM
charleee
ct's right, if they are particle board as you have described they could easily fall apart just removing a screw with too much weight on it. And thumbs are good!

Where do you live? East coast?
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 12:58PM
More Discussions
What's the right size and placement of a rug with our couch?
Just moved into our new place and bought a 99 inch...
Help! Should we paint or stain these cabinets?
We have purchased a house built in 2009. There is honey...
Help needed with kitchen design...please!
We need some help figuring out what to do with the...
My kids' bathroom remodel
I'm struggling with the floor selection. I've picked...
flooring
I'm looking for a good durable hardwood floor to replace...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.