Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with my breakfast table and chairs
spa317
November 6, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I am thinking of pairing this black Restoration Hardware table with some acrylic chairs (I LOVE the George II acrylic chairs with the square cut-out, but they're very pricey so I think I will have to settle for the Sophia chairs) and the Ikea Maskros Pendant Light. The idea of mixing the modern chairs with the very traditional table and the funky pendant light appeals to me and I'm just hoping it will all come together. I'm worried the scale of chairs and the table will be off (i.e., the chairs will seem too small or flimsy in light of the "heavy" table.)

Thoughts?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nevadan
No, I can't quite see the point in that. For your breakfast table, buy something much simpler and easier to keep clean, unless you have a maid every day. The chairs are great.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 1:33PM
mmilos
If you love the table, go ahead and start with that. Your ideas may work on the chairs but I would buy them locally if possible or from an online place with a very friendly return policy. Sometimes you just have to try things out to see how it comes together.

I agree with you though, the cheaper acrylic chairs may be too spare looking. I would keep looking for the right chair. Your expensive chair idea works better because it is more of a classic shape and stands better with the classic table (just in a modern finish).
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 1:34PM
anitajoyce
Nice table. You can always buy the chairs, try them with your table and decide if they will work or not. If they don't work, you can always return them and keep looking until you find just the right chairs. Or better yet, buy them , then post a picture of the table with the chairs to see what the houzz family thinks.
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 1:35PM
olldcan
Either the table is to heavy for the chairs or the chairs are too light for that table. I love the chairs and the pendant light but not feeling that table at all
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 1:39PM
charleee
I'm going the opposite way, I LOVE the table but not the chairs. If you like mixing modern and traditional, do you like any of these chairs? [houzz=Zuo Banana Chrome and Black Dining Chair]
[houzz=Set of 2 Zuo Nova Black Dining Chairs]
[houzz=Set of 4 Zuo Modern Maz Black Upholstered Dining Chair]
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 1:47PM
spa317
Maybe the center "Elegant" chair or the green "Mona" chair instead? The green is actually my accent color in my kitchen, though I don't necessarily know if I want to go quite so bold (I can always do a dove gray or something). Part of the reason I really liked the acrylic chairs, though, was because they open up the space a bit and my breakfast table will be in the middle of a high-traffic area.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 1:52PM
charleee
Well, if your breakfast table is in a high traffic area, why would you want a clear acrylic chair? I don't know, I'm really clumsy, I think I'd spend a lot of time walking into and tripping over a chair I can't really see!!! Anyway, have you looked at the ghost chair? [houzz=
]
3 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 1:56PM
spa317
Bobbi, those are all gorgeous. Maybe one of those in a white? Now I'm really undecided! And I agree with you on the table, I'm totally in love with it and essentially just need to find some chairs I can pair with it.
2 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 1:56PM
mmilos
Those would be better...

I'm thinking something along these acrylic klismos chairs:

0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 1:57PM
PRO
ATGStores.com
Hi, Spa! We wanted to give you a couple more options for pendants and mod chairs (http://www.atgstores.com/contemporary-modern-accent-chairs_1014_s3.html?page=1) in the style you like and let you know there are dozens of designs that may give you the effect you want. We hope this helps, and good luck!
3 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 1:58PM
judianna20
I don't care for the ghost chairs with the table (even though I love both). I would prefer a more substantial chair with a modern fabric & legs black.

1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 2:01PM
charleee
ATG Stores, I have that first curly-q lamp!! It's so cool and it looks even better in person!....Bobbi
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 2:03PM
spa317
My initial thought was the Victoria ghost chair, but then I was again running into the whole scale issue and wondering if it was too small for the table...?
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 2:04PM
PRO
ATGStores.com
Hi, Bobbi! We like it, too, especially for the look Spa is trying to achieve. Great job on your advice - we're enjoying your helpful posts!
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 2:06PM
charleee
The first pic you posted, the one with the table and the two white chairs? Try to ignore the style and the pretty slipcover, and look at only scale of the table and chairs, and if you like it let that guide you. If you don't like it, what is it about the scale that bothers you? Chair too low? Maybe it's too wide?
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 2:11PM
spa317
Bobbi - I do like that scale in the first pic, but those chairs are pretty substantial in relation to a lot of the acrylic chairs I've seen. I might just have to try a couple different options and see what it looks like.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 2:18PM
charleee
spa, you can always slipcover an acrylic chair, you know. Or even a folding chair! Who would know? If you have a Pier 1 near you, check out their chairs. I bought 4 of them for my dining table once, paid $200/pc, husband hated them and I returned them. But I loved them!
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 2:20PM
mpoulsom
Love the table, love that pendant light, love the green chairs! ;) Think it would cool and funky!
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 2:39PM
spa317
thanks! the green chairs are really fun...so many options, I have no idea what I'm going to do now!
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 5:44PM
PRO
MUMMEINTERIORS
Hi Spa I am a little late on the conversation but have read other comments. I actually don't mind the Sophia chair with the table, one thing you need to make sure of is that the back height is in proportion to the table. You can put a darker and heavy duty seat cover on the chair. Easy way to customize without spending a ton of money. I like the height of the tall acrylic chair but not crazy about the leg. You are on the right track, I think the right area rug with bring the table and chairs together. I love mixing traditional elements with more modern. It creates and eclectic and personal space.

One thing you could do is introduce a transitional chandelier. I will upload some photos of fabric and lighting to give you some inspiration.

Good luck and have fun with your project! Matt

For more design inspiration visit my design blog: http://mummeinteriors.wordpress.com
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 6:09PM
charleee
Matt, I love that first chandi!....Bobbi
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 6:11PM
PRO
MUMMEINTERIORS
Thanks! It would add a great look to the room.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 6:12PM
victorianbungalowranch
Maybe you can download the dimentions of the Crate and Barrel chairs and use that as your guide for new ones. Maybe a metal or light finish will look light, but heavy enough to balance out the table?
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 6:24PM
spa317
Both those chandeliers are gorgeous! And I definitely like the idea of a rug with some color to tie everything together. At this point, I'm still a bit torn between the Sophia chair and another that I just found - the Aria chair.
[houzz=
]
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 7:19PM
PRO
MUMMEINTERIORS
Thanks I hope they inspire you. Either would look great with what you are leaning towards.

Matt
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 7:20PM
spa317
thanks Matt! much appreciated!
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 7:27PM
PRO
MUMMEINTERIORS
My pleasure! You are on the right track.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 7:28PM
spa317
Matt - regarding your comment on the height of the chairs being in proportion to the table, they're both about one inch taller than the table (essentially the same height). should I be trying to find chairs with more height? I think I like the idea of it all being one height as it's less obtrusive that way, but will it look strange?
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 6:48AM
PRO
MUMMEINTERIORS
It is a great look for an eclectic room. I have no problem with them being the same height. In that case go with the Sophia chair.
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 6:50AM
spa317
thanks everyone for all the help!
1 Like   November 7, 2012 at 10:07AM
More Discussions
Need help for my bathroom
I only have 36" in width and 180" in lenght . In one...
Colours that works with the floor
I just bought a house and the kitchen is stumping me....
Testimonies From Users Of Elfa or FreedomRail Closet Systems?
Considering a purchase of closet system, and have been...
How should I update this Kitchen??
The decor is from previous owners. What should be the...
Exterior paint recommendations for a Victorian style home.
We are so excited to give our 1895 Victorian home a...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.