Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
cabinet hinges
kfran7
November 6, 2012 in Design Dilemma
how do you decide to match hinges to knobs or have them same color as cabinet in painting white cabinets????
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
olldcan
If these are older cabinets with hinges that show, no they shouldn't be painted to match the cabinet. The hinges should be free of any paint. That being said hinges can be replaced in a variety of metal tones, silver, chrome, brass, copper etc. to match your new knobs and pulls
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 1:54PM
mpoulsom
replace all the hinges with european hidden hinges! you can buy them in a contractor pack at home depot and i'm sure at other home improvement centers! Just fill in your screw holes on cabinet bases with wood filler before you paint! :)
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 2:11PM
charleee
When I painted my cabinets appliance white, I went to Home Depot and purchased about a million appliance white hinges. I like the look of an unbroken line. White cabinets with black hinges look very busy.

But if your cabinets will take hidden hinges, definitely go that way, that has to be one of the best kitchen inventions ever. They are forever adjustable.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 2:32PM
mpoulsom
Here is a picture of a hidden hinge. You will have to buy a special drill bit that works with any drill. You carve out the circular looking side on the inside of the door. Place inside indention, you've made, screw it to door, then screw the other side to inside of cabinet base. You can then adjust the doors with the hinges by the screws. It's not as hard as you might think. And worth the work. UNLESS, you like the look of the hinges being on the outside, THEN candace is totally right, no paint on hinges, they should be same finish as knobs and pulls.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 2:33PM
charleee
Definitely NEVER paint hinges. That is a pet peeve of mine. It looks sloppy and lazy, and the paint never lasts anyway.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 2:34PM
kfran7
we can't afford the hidden hinges but what about the white hinges purchased??
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 2:41PM
charleee
I think I remember paying about $4 for a pair of white hinges. It was totally worth it. On my doors I have the standard chrome knobs (which I don't like but won't replace for awhile) and the sort of old fashioned cup type handles on the drawers, also in silver, and those I like.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 2:44PM
olldcan
You might want to check a re-store in your area. In my neck of the woods, there's a Habitat for Humanity Re-store, I saw 4 hinges in a ziplock bag for a buck. They had white, black, silver, brass everything under the sun and tons of them too.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 2:59PM
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.