powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Patio Door & window dressing Ideas ...Please!
Niamh Courtney
November 6, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Any ideas how to dress this wall? Not colours, I am just looking for ideas...blinds, drapes, panels ?? Images would be great if you can suggest some. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Emily Hurley
Would you consider a long curtain rod between the top and bottom windows to mask that space between them?
November 6, 2012 at 4:11PM   
Niamh Courtney
Hi Emily, do you mean a full length rod from left to right (wall to wall) so that when curtains are closed the full wall is covered? I've thought about that but not sure i would like the look of a rail all the way across the wall, when drapes are open?
November 8, 2012 at 6:01PM   
Niamh Courtney
I should have said thank you, by the way, for replying!!
November 8, 2012 at 6:02PM   
TanCalGal
I like no curtains (unless you need privacy or sun control?) in a smallish space. If you decide on up down shades or other window tx., order in color of walls to enlarge rooms. (photo) Quiet Casual Home: Family Room

I'd remove the "home". Add floor & table plants to the space. The ceiling + beams (all lovely) is the diva in this room, maybe add a mobile to draw eyes up. Even a cool ceiling fan in white like ceiling might help or a chandelier (maybe you have one over DR table?), but you don't really want to add too many items in a small space, so I'd tread carefully here. Make mock ups. (photo) Berkeley Courtyard House
November 18, 2012 at 12:57PM   
decoenthusiaste
Don't know what is outside, but if sun is an issue, how about a pergola outside with draped outdoor fabric to block sunlight on lower windows? Looks like ventilation is from the top part of the two windows on the right, so top down/bottom up for that application.Fixed or remote control one for the upper window and a regular one for the slider would be in order. Hunter-Douglas or even JC Penny could be a source.
November 18, 2012 at 1:08PM     
Niamh Courtney
Hi you guys, thanks for info. Sun is not an issue here, I am in Ireland!! Neither is privacy. It is warmth for winter I want but don't want to take over the room with drapes. The room is actually much bigger than it looks in photo. Two large Velux windows over left and right side of room also, so chandelier over table wouldn't work. The table does not need to stay there as i have a dining room off this room. Ok, it's curtain Ideas inside I need. Don't think we do those blinds that come up from bottom, if we do, they'll be too expensive. Back to the drawing boards. I am not big into plants in decor right now, I am more minimalist. See my type room. thanks. Thanks for your help though.
November 18, 2012 at 4:54PM   
Niamh Courtney
I wouldn't be able to keep a plant alive!!
November 18, 2012 at 4:56PM   
TanCalGal
Didn't know you were interested in warmth. There is a shop here "Country Curtains" and they have a nice selection of insulated / thermal shades. Hope you can find a shop near you. http://www.countrycurtains.com/search.do?query=thermal+shades
November 18, 2012 at 9:01PM     
hockey456
Perhaps the top window is what is causing you the trouble?Try and picture only dressing the lower windows/door. You seem to like clean decor so some simple panels you can easily open and close would fit the bill. Leave the top window empty and let the sun shine in! :-)
November 18, 2012 at 10:14PM     
hockey456
Gave this some additional thought. Install a long cornice between the upper and lower windows, hide the hardware behind it....ugh! Here's a picture

November 18, 2012 at 10:24PM     
Niamh Courtney
Thanks again guys, great to hear all the suggestions. I suppose I mean actual warmth (keeping the heat in room with curtains) as opposed to warm colours. Will check out the website oldj22 for ideas,, thanks Yes, hockey456 you're absolutely correct, top window is an issue, hate it. I really love the idea of the cornice, think that is route i will take. Thank you.
November 19, 2012 at 2:14AM   
kadams02
I have a similar problem and I have reached the conclusion that the only way to retain the shape of the window is to use a plantation shutter. It offers a fair bit of insulation and the option of either opening and closing the louvres or opening the shutter on hinges. I also like the minimalist look of shutters. Having said that, I love hockey's suggestion of a cornice and think it would look superb in you room.
November 19, 2012 at 4:00AM     
Niamh Courtney
Hi Kadams02 Shutters are great, but I could not use on the patio door. as it is a sliding door. I think the cornice is best solution. Think a wrecking ball could do the trick!!
November 19, 2012 at 1:39PM   
charleee
This is a great look for windows AND sliding glass doors: [houzz=
]
November 19, 2012 at 2:28PM     
Niamh Courtney
Love them Olldbob, what are they blinds? We prob don't have them here. Looks really cool.
November 19, 2012 at 5:40PM   
charleee
These are Hunter Douglas window treatments and are widely available. Not sure where you are, but you can email for more info: http://lisascheffdesigns.com Or, if there's a Hunter Douglas retailer near you, why not print out the picture and bring it to them?
November 20, 2012 at 3:35AM   
Niamh Courtney
I am in Ireland. I will check these out. thanks again.
November 20, 2012 at 4:13PM   
hockey456
Niamh, glad I could help! Thanks to Houzz the picture spoke a thousand words! Good luck with your implementation!
November 23, 2012 at 12:02AM   
decoenthusiaste
Yes, glad someone thought to post a pic of the blinds. I assumed you'd know what they were when I suggested them. Hunter-Douglas is the company that can do a remote control blind for your top window too, but the issue now is an electrical one because you're in Ireland. I'm sure some EU country has a source for top down/bottom up blinds.
November 23, 2012 at 9:00AM   
Niamh Courtney
Really my problem is an architectural prob and not an interior decor one. Plan B, change the doors & windows!
November 25, 2012 at 3:38PM   
TanCalGal
R U kidding? They are one of the nicest features of your space (along with the ceiling).
November 25, 2012 at 4:28PM     
Cat Rowe
1. Do nothing with the top window, except take down the HOME sign. 2. Put in a rod half way between the top and bottom windows, the entire lenght of the wall. 3. Have three pinch pleat panels made, hang the on rings for pulling shut. The first panel on the left be sure to cover those slider handles a bit, the center panel should cover that entire small wall. The last panel on the right should be equal to the one on the left. If you can't afford custom panels, order from Pottery Barn. Be sure to measure your store-bought panels be for installing the rod. Good luck with your project Niamh!
November 25, 2012 at 4:48PM     
Cat Rowe
Niamh ~ You may also consider installing woven bamboo blinds under your panels. I have done this throughout my house and it looks amazing. Some of my favourite designers are Sarah Richardson and Kathryn M. Ireland. Most of all, have fun! Cat Rowe
November 27, 2012 at 3:33PM     
Niamh Courtney
Hi Cat, when you say panels do you mean actual panels, like the flat Japanese type or do you mean sheer curtain type panels?
November 27, 2012 at 4:35PM   
Cat Rowe
Fabric panels...a floral or paisley fabric lined, with pinch pleats. Pottery Barn has nice, inexpensive panels and Smith & Noble has great woven bamboo shades/blinds. I love your top window. I have
these in my diningroom, livingroom, master bedroom and guest room. I leave them just as they are
for added light in the room, but I have had a tinted film applied professionally to block UV light which damages fabrics, flooring, wood, etc. I hope this is helpful Niamh! Cat Rowe
November 27, 2012 at 4:55PM