Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Please help - Powder room dilemna
plmtb
November 7, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I am having a home built - All of the walls have been completed (but, the plumbing is not in, yet.) I now realize that the powder room is going to be very difficult to design as I have limited space for the toilet and sink. The wall where the picture shows the toilet is only 4 feet and the other wall is 5 feet. Even if I go with a pedestal sink on the same wall as the toilet, I believe it will look very cramped.
As you can see in the picture, one wall has a pocket door and the other has a swing out door (the swing door needs to be 3 feet for handicap access.
Any advice or suggestions on where to place the sink and toilet would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michigammemom
Since your door swings out rather than into the bath, consider putting the vanity and toilet on the long wall with toilet in the corner so that it is semi-concealed by the vanity.
2 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 6:41AM
Shawn Lagemann
For handicap access the sink and toilet cannot go on the same wall (as drawn), if the wall is only 4'. The toilet needs to be 16" on center.For wheelchair access from side to side it may be too tight. Plumbing and pocket doors are not compatible and access into the room from the swinging door to have clearance around the sink (for handicap access) may be a real challenge. I'd look for the smallest wall mount sink, look at Duravit. You'll need to have the space open below the sink to manuver in the room, and hang the sink high enough to get under it, but low enough to comfortably access it. Add backing for the sink to mount to in the wall, make sure the water and drain lines come from the wall and not the floor. Also place in backing for a grab bar next to the toilet, ADA height toilets give the best access, but you may have to select a round bowl to increase interior space. Wow, what an issue.
1 Like   November 7, 2012 at 6:48AM
olldcan
Can we see more of the plan specifically the rooms surrounding this bath. Is the pocket door necessary. At this point, the only solution I see is to move a wall to make the required space or the bathroom will not be handicap accessible .
1 Like   November 7, 2012 at 6:58AM
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 7:16AM
plmtb
Wow... thanks everyone for the quick replies. The swing door actually just needs to be 3 feet to allow a wheelchair to to get just inside the door. At that point we actually lift our niece onto the toilet. She only visits a few times a year, but that is what we do in our current home and it works very well for her as she can support a bit of weight on her legs.The walls cannot be moved. Thanks again.
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 7:46AM
decoenthusiaste
It is one thing to have a handicapped opening, but what happens when a wheelchair gets into the bath? Is your niece fully grown or will that be an eventual consideration? There are units you can install where the sink raises and lowers to accomodate. Might check into it.
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 10:58AM
PRO
DMH DESIGN
In terms of accessibility, Deco is correct, this space is too tight. 5'X7' min. is about the bare minimum of size that will work. Although the door is an outswing, it is best to have a clear interior dimention of 12" on the "push" side and 18" min on the "pull side of the swinging door (the pocket door will not meet these standards). You also need 5' min. clr of floor space for maneuvering and transfer. If grab bars are intended at some point, you need the clear wall space for attaching them. I have speced sinks that fold up, and they are a beautiful thing, but this may not be in your budget, as they normally require a wall mounted rail system in order to allow the tilt, up/down motion. Here is a plate from the ADA handbook for your perusal--I'll have to post it separately--PC not cooperating. The size I mention is nominal, and since you intend to access this room from two directions, this size is likely too small. If you are in CA or WA, we should speak in greater detail, if your intent is to create an accessible space, it is a great feature, for your niece, for your grandparents, and for you, thinking long term. Now is the time, before going any further. Happy Houzzing.
0 Likes   July 18, 2014 at 7:23PM
bgfuqua
older post
0 Likes   July 18, 2014 at 7:54PM