Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
No more purple please !
Crystal Chapman
November 7, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Just bought this foreclosure, & need help with paint colors that will flow from the kitchen to the living area .. maybe cabin red for kitchen but where to stop it if I use a taupe/beige for living area .. . couch is red fabric, black leather chairs Any/ALL suggestions appreciated. Thanks !
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Stoneshop
Since it appears that you have an open concept space, I would suggest using the same color throughout the kitchen and living room. Possibly a warm gray to contrast with the creamy ivory on the ceiling? It looks like a beautiful home, congrats!
November 7, 2012 at 12:53PM     
decoenthusiaste
Try greige - not grey, not beige, but neutral and in different shadings. You could go to a more red undertone of it when yo get to the kitchen so it will work with the cherry cabinetry. Lovely home - great potential!
November 7, 2012 at 12:58PM   
movethisnotthat
Since your kitchen can be seen from "everywhere" I'd also stick with one color throughout the space,a grayish taupe against the white trim would be striking. Be sure to post the finished room ! Congrats on the house.
November 7, 2012 at 12:58PM     
Debbie M
What a fun house!! You will have so many options!
November 7, 2012 at 1:19PM   
alwaysdesigning
I have a wonderful paint shade we used throughout our main living and main halls, and studio, Sherwin Williams Buckram Binding (I think they have changed the name to Wheat); it has a warmth to its beige/ tan color. Our trim is in white and it looks very sharp. You can easily use a complementary red tone in your kitchen with it. I have also used complementary tones in rooms adjacent to this color and it blends together without looking choppy (also Sherwin Williams: Juneberry, Jersey Cream, Believable Buff) . Good luck
November 7, 2012 at 2:02PM   
anitajoyce
A nice tan color would look nicely in all the rooms mentioned. The tan color will provide warmth and nice neutral color to the space.
November 7, 2012 at 3:00PM   
simplify52
I am of the mindset usually to paint all one color for continuity. However, we painted the back wall of our kitchen Roasted Red Pepper and absolutely loved it in combination with the taupe/grey in the adjoining familly room and hallway. You could do the backsplash the red and depending on how the pantry is laid out, paint the area around the door if the design calls for it and the area above the cabinets as well possibly. OR ....... you could paint it all the taupe/grey and use red accents! So many possibilities for such a fun space!
November 7, 2012 at 3:20PM   
Elyn's Library
Agree with a taupe / tan / greige / beige paint color throughout and if you wanted to add a pop of dark red color as a backsplash behind the stove in the kitchen, this looks like fun - http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-203288459/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=pomegranate&storeId=10051#.UJrzRG_R4s8
November 7, 2012 at 3:46PM   
janishill
Your kitchen cabinets have warm undertones and there is a hint of orange in them...so red walls might compete with them.

I suggest using the neutral paint all the way through then adding cheerful red accessories to the kitchen: canisters, towels, etc.
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/windsbreath (see photo)
or http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/athena

Hope you will post updated pictures!
November 7, 2012 at 3:59PM     
judianna20
I like looking into the hall with the purple over the white raised paneling. Suggestion: paint kitchen cabs white and the rest of the walls BM pale oak, which has a purple undertone. Nice buy.
November 7, 2012 at 4:02PM   
heatherhb55
SM inviting Ivory is a great color its nuetral but plays with the light a lot, looks cream, tan, and yellow depending on the light!
November 7, 2012 at 4:16PM   
kalenayoung
I agree that red may compete with cabinets.
November 8, 2012 at 11:19PM   
greenthumb2
Great project. Thank you for posting. Take a look at these three items: the focal point, the ceiling, and the assymetry of the focal point adjoining structure where two rooms meet. You may want this to disappear. The lighter your paint color here against a dark color, the more it will say" here I am" :=). Darker is better for this and all one color is a good idea. Start with 1) what do I really want to highlight 2) what colors make me relax 3) do I like the white paneling. Once you know the answers; choose colors and paint. Curious to know about flooring. It's actually smart to consider it at the juncture. Enjoy your journey. You are going to love it. Also, look at Mushroom; Kelly Moore. Btw: the cabinet height in kitchen vs the fireplace height vs the wall height to right of fireplace vs hallway height is why all one color here would be least expensive start. The break ups of the wainscoting, and wood against sheetrock gives us three-four colors to look at which is why the flow is off. All fixable. If you can afford to; hire a good paint contractor instead of DIY. Painting small is easy. This is a big project.
November 8, 2012 at 11:35PM   
More Discussions
Great room
HELP! I didn't realize how difficult this would be...
Granite seam MAKING ME ANGRY :( can it be improved?
just had granite installed today and the seam is pretty...
Can I use a prep sink in an island without a faucet?
I am in the planning stages of a kitchen remodel. ...
What to do about the gap
My DH and his friend came over to help out with installing...
Curb appeal help!
We bought this house last fall. We love the corner...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.