Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
New Facade Ideas, Please!
juliethompinc
November 7, 2012 in Design Dilemma
This 1977 split-level ranch w/waterviews is getting updated. Want to ensure facade style is right. We want classic/contemporary mix. We're thinking all-glass portico around front door, divided light French doors, Juliette balconies in front, side decks, stainless steel cable-wire railings. Possibly building portico up into a cupola with seating. Grey/white exterior. Don't want weird mishmash of styles (Modern, Ranch, Craftsman, Cottage...). Need design gurus to weigh in here, please!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Robert A. McGraw Architect
Hey, this is precisely what we do - help you figure out a new facade for your home! Check out our website and get in touch. We'd love to work with you! www.home-curbappeal.com. We are an architectural firm which sees a need for an inexpensive design service for just this situation - a way to help you visualize changes to your home.
1 Like   November 7, 2012 at 3:16PM
Judy M
when I saw your house photo, a before and after that was on here, reminded of what you're house could look like. check it out http://www.houzz.com/discussions/218987/From-Vinyl-Siding-Extravaganza-to-Craftsman

If this is not your style, do a search in the photo section under exteriors and something should hit the spot for you.
1 Like   November 7, 2012 at 5:04PM
houssaon
I like the natual wood color of the shakes, I'd keep that stain color when doing your changes.

Some of the planting seens out of scale.
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 5:12PM
5 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 5:21PM
juliethompinc
Fantastic example, thank you.
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 5:25PM
PRO
By Design EK
I like Houssan's examples as well. I can't invision a glass portico but maybe if you took the flat roof overhang like the wood sided house picture above and put a glass "skylight" in the middle it would be modern and genious to keep the entry covered but with plenty of natural light. Are you keeping the shingles? I agree the natural is nice but if you want a more modern look then painting would be good, I like your color ideas. Have you thought of adding some vertical cladding, like a board and batten, around the door and garage to give a more updated look. This would give you more flexibility with the style of the house I think. The juliette balconies would be too much I think, how about just long metal flower boxes under the windows above the garage. Paint the white trim dark if you can, this gives a nice updated look!
1 Like   November 8, 2012 at 6:55AM
PRO
Ultra-tec Cable Railing by The Cable Connection
View our page for stainless steel cable railing ideas and applications.
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 9:58AM
Elise
Love the grey and white color scheme idea. Please consider skipping divided lites in doors as they interfere with views. Go for full length french doors in living area, opening out onto deck with cable railing. Bedrooms could share a full balcony and also have full length french doors replacing existing windows. Wider trim boards emphasizing the horizontal lines of the house will help make it feel more modern.

Arlington Residence

exterior

Portola Valley, CA

modern ipe and stainless deck
1 Like   November 8, 2012 at 10:29AM
victorianbungalowranch
If I am understanding correctly you want some sort of open or glassed in outdoor seating area up high to enjoy the lake views? Or perhaps the front entry is a bit tight and you need some more mudroom space and an airlock entry? I don't understand what you mean by a cupola--a little dome on top?

A split level is a variation on the ranch (it is also called a raised ranch) and is particularly difficult to alter in style, although the Prairie/Wrightian/Mid-Century/Contemporary spectrum is a natural fit.

I think the shingles are great stained esp. on a lake and painting would not be an update, but would take it back to standard split level. They can be stained to the grey color if you wish and would add nice texture and a rustic touch, and I would paint the garage door dark to match or harmonize.

So I see a long running balcony all across the front from the garage and extending off to the side, perhaps joining up with the deck you have with some modern stairs.

Or two balconies--one over the garage and the other linking up with the deck you have, with a modern glass front entry with a flat projecting canopy in the middle and a bigger contemporary double door and transome inside, perhaps topped by a gable and showcasing an old-school hangling round pendant light.

What is the building orientation? A glass entry can look great, but get very hot, so you will need a way to vent it. It could even act as a passive solar entry with some stone facing and a way to shield it in the summer.

Cable railings are a great choice.
2 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 12:39PM