powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help!! Curb appeal on a budget?!! and Paint color suggestions...
jennlehr
November 7, 2012 in Design Dilemma
What would you tackle first. ? Most bang for your buck???? What color pallette?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
charleee
Get rid of that tired looking big bushy bush. Decorate the evergreens for Christmas! Paint the garage doors a charcoal gray. Seed the lawn in the spring!
November 7, 2012 at 3:59pm   
jennlehr
We are closing next week, and need to do interior work. So this will be a long term project. Yes the bushes def. need attention and the lawn. What do you think about the house color? How would you update this house?
November 7, 2012 at 4:01pm   
charleee
Well, personally I like white houses. If you want, you could paint the trim a more noticeable color like a deep charcoal gray, a dark maroon or burgundy, but I would avoid black. You also have an expansive lawn so I wouldn't go with green, you have enough green. I can give you some tried and true color combinations:
[houzz=5.jpg]
[houzz=9.jpg]
[houzz=8.jpg]
November 7, 2012 at 4:06pm   
tkclifford
Pretty house. As for curb appeal and getting the biggest bang for your buck? -- First, I would take out all the shrubs. They're just so predictable, and therefore make the whole house and landscape look "dated". Just that will give it a fresher look. It's hard to see the front door in your picture, but I think there is a metal storm door in front of it? I would take that off and paint the door satin black. The porch light is too small. A large carriage house style lantern in black would dress it up. Then, perhaps a wrought iron bench or a couple of evergreen topiaries in square planters on either side of the door... Also, the blue trim has to go - perhaps a nice charcoal grey? The windows look "skimpy" - have you thought about shutters for them? - with rustic-looking black wrought iron "shutter dogs" to accent them. Then you could go a step further and trade out your garage doors for carriage-style ones with some glass panels and coordinating black hinges and "handles" to go with the shutters and wrought iron details. Have fun!!
November 7, 2012 at 4:54pm   
jennlehr
thanks. Was thinking of shutters, but thought since there are so many windows it might be too much... I see i have a lot of work to do!!
November 7, 2012 at 4:56pm   
houssaon
I would take out the shrubs and the brick egding around the mail box, plant flowers and seed the yard. The house should be painted in a color that compliments the stone foundation. I wouldn't put sutthers on the house, but when painting use colors to accentuate the details.
November 7, 2012 at 5:07pm   
hkuk
Make a shaped flower bed at the front of the yard including the letterbox area. This will lessen such a large expanse of lawn. Keep the three bushes at the back and get a feel for your new home. As you spend time living there you will get a feel for further enhancement, don't try to fix everything at once
November 7, 2012 at 5:15pm