Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Open layout color - kitchen, dining room and kitchen
senoraley
November 7, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Ok so here's my dilemma folks. I have mocha colored sectional couches in my living room, cherry wood furniture in my dining room and my cabinetry are also mocha with black granite. I mention this first to give you an idea of the colors of the big pieces that I am working with. So I somehow thought that being all three rooms are connected and open into each other that an ice blue color would flow. Not so sure now. See photos. I think I'm ready for a change but I need a color that when I get bored I can change accessories and refresh the look. But I still need the color to pop. My home is colonial style not much light on the first floor due to an enclosed porch...built in 1924. Any thoughts??
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
senoraley
Ice blue color walls
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 8:07PM
victorianbungalowranch
The interior doesn't look liek a 1924 Colonial--was it gutted and all the casing redone? Looks like the windows were replaced too. The casing is more Victorian in style and too narrow for a house from the 1920s. I think beefing it up could add a lot to the room.

I think the color was too pale to really pull it together and contrast with the white molding, and ithe result is that it is all kind of beige blah, even the artwork. There is some separation between rooms so you could paint each a related color.

Bigger bolder artwork and some brighter throw pillow mixed with what you got, and maybe a bolder splash of color on the curtains would perk things up without painting, like maybe a burnt orange (sort of like that wrapped bottle there!), turquoise/auqa accent colors and a pattern pulling in the carmel, mocha, grey, black and pale acqua colors you have. Will add some warmth to counterfoil the cool walls. Bring a color chip of the walls and a few other things to find the right thing. Then maybe you could paint one of the rooms a different color, like perhaps a warm tan or taupe or greige color, or a stronger version of the color you have..

I love Michelangelo and I think you can keep the print someplace. There is some blue/turqpoise in the fabric fluttering around God and maybe a new mat and frame can bring out that color and make it look more modern. You could even put it over the couch more, paint around it with a frame to make it pop more. Just a thought. A stronger wall color would do the same thing. It looks like the furniture and art can be rearranged a bit too to

Please post more pictures and there are a lot of folks more here who can coach you along.
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 9:06PM
senoraley
Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time. to answer your question, the kitchen and dining room were gutted- the living room was not. i agree- very pale and it doesn't pop at all. Will definitely take the advice! Will continue to upload photos as well. And looking for grieges while I am at it...
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 7:02PM
victorianbungalowranch
OK--saw you started a new thread. I think doing interiors is tough because there are so many things to deal with and balance. Good luck!
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 10:36PM