powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kids flooded our master bath....overdue for renovation anyway.
karongwe
November 7, 2012 in Design Dilemma
This master bath has unusual shapes. Roman tub large, small shower hidden behind wall. Small door as well into toilet space. The cabinets will stay, countertop is a debate. Need flooring tile, tub surround and to remove the shower insert and tile. I prefer a cleaner glass surround to shower but I have all of these arches. I have to dry wall anyway, perhaps I should makes these arches disappear. I wish I had room to out sconces beside separated mirrors but sinks are widely spaced and close to the walls. There are no areas around tub surround at back to add vase or candles for visual interest. Hate that. I will replace chrome with antique bronze fixtures. Perhaps add nice fixture over tub. Love contemporary but earthy. glass, sticks, stone in warm tones. I am replacing all main level hard wood due to water too so trying to plan where to my $$$ best spent. Thanks for advice!!!!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
victorianbungalowranch
I'm so sorry, did they ruin the downstairs floors too! Oh my, right out of movie!

You might put a narrow storage cabinet between the two sinks and add some molding to create the illusion of two mirrors. Would improve proportions too.

I like the basic plan, especilly separate toilets. If you don't want to tear out the arches, the shower doors don't have to go all the way up to the top. Do you have to replaster the entire thing or just where it is damaged?

I'm wondering what's behind the angled walls. It might be possible to carve out some nitches there for candles and toiletries, and you maybe could creat a half wall for the shower to open it up a bit.

I think glass mosaic tile accents in the brown colors of the counters maybe with greens and a bit of metallic could look nice and work with what you have. Then field subway or square tile can do the rest.
November 7, 2012 at 10:50PM   
karongwe
I really appreciate your thoughts. Behind right arch is bedroom, left arch is stairwell. Would you consider taking a dry stacked stone to the ceiling where arches were? Perhaps cut outs for candles or storage?. I could also move the tub faucets easily with the tub out from left corner to right corner. By moving them towards the entrance I could use existing faucet area for storage basket or candles. Could put towel rack somewhere too.
Thanks again for the great suggestions! actually flooded 3 floors. Main floor 1000 square feet of hard wood. my creative juices and ease of decision making skills are muffled as a result to chaos. Bottom line...beautiful when completed :) thanks again!!
November 7, 2012 at 11:03PM     
PRO
3D-Tile-Design - Bertram Tasch
Hi karongwe, I would definitely get rid of all the "hidden chambers" and would "open" the whole bathroom. The access to the toilet is is only available through the bathroom so it makes no sense to me to sit in a dark corner while doing my business. ☺The same applies to the shower. A rough sketch of the room shape with measurements would help a lot to design a better/nicer bathroom. The main question is: How much money do you want to spend for reding your bathroom.

Regards.

3D-Tile-Design - Bertram Tasch
Maple Ridge, BC (Greater Vancouver) http://www.3D-Tile-Design.ca
November 7, 2012 at 11:07PM   
greenthumb2
Don't allow the toilet to be visible from the tub. Archways, unless you need more moving around space help create a spa type atmosphere. Use those behind the tub as a) statement for paint and art, b) paint with glass shelves, or c) diffused indirect light (accessible from bedroom side), or d) make one of them a faux window of some kind, or e) towel rack area. This site has some awesome fixture ideas.

Good rule of thumb; remember how a special bathroom/room felt at a particular lodge, hotel, or bed and breakfast? Or maybe some room on this site speaks to you for some reason. Something may stand out to you -- try to incorporate those colors and textures into your new bathroom. Soothe yourself.

Enjoy it. Budget, be realistic, know yourself and family needs. You will be fine.
November 7, 2012 at 11:30PM   
victorianbungalowranch
Oh my goodness three floors, what a nightmare! Water can do a lot of damage in a short time. Of course there are plenty of hurrican victims right now experiencing that and worse, but still I really feel for you. I hope you didn't lose any nice family photos or any other stuff that is impossible to replace.

I was wondering if there was any dead space in the walls behind the tub nitches because they ar angled. Don't know about stacked stone veneer--could be a maintenance hassle and space there is pretty tight.. Perhaps one of those pebble mosaics or a textured tile would work.

Although a complete redo might be nice, it is probably cheaper to work with the arrangement you have, just tweaking things a bit.
November 8, 2012 at 12:14AM   
karongwe
Thank-you all for kind suggestions. It sounds like I should make a budget first and then make decisions accordingly. I may be able to do the renovation in a couple steps too, if I can figure out what direction we want to go and pan the steps. Again, thanks!!!
November 8, 2012 at 10:23PM   
Rebekah Batt
I love your existing bathroom it realy inspires me! Not boring at all. What about swapping the tub corner and the sinks? I think it would be cool to have the sinks in the corner area with tall mirrors (think 3way dressing mirror possibly in the center of 2 separate sinks instead of 1 long counter. Those corner tubs are space wasters IMO. Then you could make the shower wider (It's ittt bitty right now) and a cast iron tub? Drool! :D
November 8, 2012 at 11:03PM   
greenthumb2
Hi Karongwe. If you use the tub, keep it. If you plan to re-sell at some point in some states a shower, sink, toilet is only a 3/4 bath and will not be a full bath. Just fyi. :=) Enjoy your remodel. Sometimes just painting something a little differently can make a huge difference and open up the mind to new ideas not mentioned here.
November 9, 2012 at 2:05AM   
karongwe
Thank you all, I spent the weekend engulfed in idea searching. I used painters tape to get an idea of changing the mirrors to pottery barn's pivoting extra large in antique bronze and adding sconces. I already have one so stertching my resources. Perhaps this will take the focal point away from the tub. We use the tub a tonne and I'm hoping an upgrade in color and tile will transform the space. I'm hoping to replace all of the faucets with nice antique bronze and a taller more interesting roman tub spout. I am thinking of embracing a semi Tuscan feel due to the arches and add some interesting lighting. The wall that separate the bedroom and tub is shared, I'd thought about installing a two way fireplace and ultimately I could save up and add that in later. We live 3 hours from Canadian border and in the winter I can think of nothing yummier than a hot bath, fireplace and glass of wine after kids tucked in. :)

As for opening up the shower, I am going to get a quote on moving the plumbing to the other side. I would love glass or a half wall.

I'm excited about the new hard wood. We've opted to replace the dishwasher and other appliances as the current one is old. If it leaks onto the new flooring, I would lose my mind. Trying to go wider pank and darker. Was a light maple with narrow wood pieces. Here are my last two choices.

Thanks again!!!
November 11, 2012 at 10:10PM   
karongwe
Thank you all, I spent the weekend engulfed in idea searching. I used painters tape to get an idea of changing the mirrors to pottery barn's pivoting extra large in antique bronze and adding sconces. I already have one so stertching my resources. Perhaps this will take the focal point away from the tub. We use the tub a tonne and I'm hoping an upgrade in color and tile will transform the space. I'm hoping to replace all of the faucets with nice antique bronze and a taller more interesting roman tub spout. I am thinking of embracing a semi Tuscan feel due to the arches and add some interesting lighting. The wall that separate the bedroom and tub is shared, I'd thought about installing a two way fireplace and ultimately I could save up and add that in later. We live 3 hours from Canadian border and in the winter I can think of nothing yummier than a hot bath, fireplace and glass of wine after kids tucked in. :)

As for opening up the shower, I am going to get a quote on moving the plumbing to the other side. I would love glass or a half wall.

I'm excited about the new hard wood. We've opted to replace the dishwasher and other appliances as the current one is old. If it leaks onto the new flooring, I would lose my mind. Trying to go wider pank and darker. Was a light maple with narrow wood pieces. Here are my last two choices.

Thanks again!!!
November 11, 2012 at 10:10PM   
karongwe
The sconce and mirror idea.
November 11, 2012 at 10:14PM     
victorianbungalowranch
I live up North too and that does sound nice, but would want to have it a bit further from splashing water and whatnot :)

Be careful with the Tuscan feel--it can look heavy and overdone easily and not at all like what it is like in Italy. :) Tuscan with a light touch can be nice though.
November 12, 2012 at 8:31AM   
Rebekah Batt
Cast iron is a wonderful material for keeping water hot for long soaks in the tub. You can give new life to a salvaged piece. When it comes to design do what you love. You don't have to embrace a certain feel just because of an arch. What is it you realy want? What is it you LOVE? Think back to an experience you had of being in a pleasing space for you. Some times when remodeling we should turn off our brains for a while and just let our hearts do the talking for a while. Just my two cents. Good Luck! ;)
November 12, 2012 at 11:26AM