Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What to do with this wall?
Bridgette St_Hilaire
November 7, 2012 in Design Dilemma
The view when people walk in the front door....not sure what to do with this "showcase" area that is about 20 feet tall and slightly indented from the rest of the wall. Help! Please!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
14jules
Have you checked out wall decor from Kirklands? Could be gorgeous with the right tile. I love the cabinet but doesn't look quite right there. How about an indoor tree?
1 Like   November 7, 2012 at 11:12PM
Bridgette St_Hilaire
Hi Julie! Interesting idea, will have to look into types of trees that might work. Or maybe find a good fake one lol! It is where we put our xmas tree, but I hadn't thought of putting a tree there permanently! Thanks!
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 11:17PM
PRO
Anta Design Studio
3 options:
1. install nice torch type wall light fixture ( will need electrical wiring)
2. install long tapestry.
3. install wall hung water feature. need power outlet only.
3 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 11:22PM
victorianbungalowranch
I like option #2 with the cabinet and it could look very asian/zen with a vase or sculpture off center. Still can put the tree there too. An inexpensive option may be to get a nice runner and hang it up.

There are some georgous ones regularly at One Kings Lane, even some really cool woven outdoor ones that are pretty cheap, or a nice Ikat or kilim, and it can look terrific.All kinds of textures and colors and patterns to pick from.

I would move the family photos--they look so lost there. The big one could be kept there in a table frame perhaps.
1 Like   November 7, 2012 at 11:38PM
greenthumb2
Hi. You love your family, right? Go to a professional photographer. Three large black and whites; 16 x 24, in good matted style perhaps wood frames with black and white recessed boxes, or simpler. Runner of carpet is good idea. And, please darken this wall, darker than the inset. It will be so dramatic. One, two, three. Console top is clear of anything except a disc or bronze sculpture. Voila. Classy and personal.

Another idea completely....Black or dark coffee brown stripe same width as landing and bannister left to right would also highlight this spot (and relax the tight feeling it has) if you don't want the entire wall dark. Add new large matted photos.

PS. Love the tree idea. Do a real tree and use a tube light in the foyer to give it the light it needs and light the foyer in the daytime. If feasible to do this in your area..
1 Like   November 8, 2012 at 1:19AM
charleee
When I first looked at your picture I saw a reception desk in an office complex. Doubt that's what you want. I like the idea of a tall tree there, without the cabinet. Maybe you can add a pendant light or two to highlight the tree, and also your Christmas tree.
1 Like   November 8, 2012 at 2:19AM
Natalie
3 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 4:28AM
PRO
Inspired Interiors by Wendi, IIDA
I agree with Anta Design Studio"s option #3. My initial reaction was to put a water feature there.
2 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 4:51AM
decoenthusiaste
Do you live near a university with an art department? You can have a custom piece of art or mural commissioned by a student or perhaps a professor whose work you appreciate. Unless there is enough light, I wouldn't go for a tree alone. Center the credenza under the recess (looks a bit off) and have a huge high dollar silk arrangement made that compliments the colors in the custom art/mural and doesn't look "weenie" with it. Nothing else but a magnificent area rug just 8-10" narrower than the credenza and extending at least to where the stairs begin. Nothing on the stairwell wall either. You want to create a stand-alone vignette when you enter the house. Will be stunning!
3 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 5:41AM
iamchickaddd
I'd try to find a long, pretty tapestry...even a nice hall runner...
2 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 7:35AM
iamchickaddd
This is an Indian tapestry hung horizontally but I could see something like this hung vertically in your space.
1 Like   November 8, 2012 at 7:51AM
iamchickaddd
Something French perhaps...
1 Like   November 8, 2012 at 7:57AM
PRO
Rayco Painting
turn it into an accent wall.
1 Like   November 8, 2012 at 8:36AM
houssaon
I would think about decorative painting for the niche, lighting and a piece of artwork, like this sculpture: Elegant Contemporary Foyer Seasons at Cherry Creek Elevator Lobby A tall painting or print would work: Apartment downtown Belgrade 2
2 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 8:50AM
Elise
Consider tile mosaic art? This ancient art form has provided decor for thousands of years. A good tile artist could create a one of kind piece for you that could make your house stand out from the rest. Think of it as a tile rug runner, hung on the wall in place of a fabric tapestry. Perhaps with a water feature at the base? It's a way to bring the outdoors in also.

Bissonette Bathroom

Mediterranean Bathroom

patio

Outdoor shower
2 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 9:21AM
Bridgette St_Hilaire
Wow, thank you everyone for the great ideas!!!

If I do a tree or 2, is it cheesy to use a silk plant?

I don't have a very green thumb...or would I be better off using a large floor vase with some kind of cedar or other branches like this http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Salt-Cedar-with-Cocoa-Bamboo-Floor-Vase/3524180/product.html?
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 7:33PM
decoenthusiaste
Silk has to be superior quality, but rather than ruin floors or furnishings.
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 7:39PM
14jules
I love the vase at Overstock. I also like the idea of painting that wall a different color. Chandelier or pendant lights hanging as well
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 12:52AM
PRO
Vikrant Sharma Homez
I'm with Natalie and Wendy .
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 1:30AM
More Discussions
I need help with this room in the front of my house just to the right
Currently it is a sitting room. (Not used often). And...
brendamarch
Door Hinges and Door Knobs
Does it matter design wise if the door hinges and door...
Rue B
Need help for my kitchen
Have black appliances with tile wall. Need ideas for...
tylertalbertsr
Help my kitchen
Should I paint the cabinet or keep them
4tocome
need help with my living room
Hi! I was hoping to get some input re: my living room....
alsad
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.