Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen Backsplash
mchelz3
November 8, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Opinions on this kitchen backsplash with our counters? Seems to match pretty well, but will it be too busy with our counters? (Don't mind the black elecrical tape holding it up). :-)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dricko
I think the color is fine, but the scale is off. The mosaics are too small for the pattern in the countertop. I think a 3 x 6 or 4 x 4 in the same travertine/marble color family would work better.
6 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 5:15AM
Christa
I agree with the above comment, I think travertine would look nice. If you go to photo's and type in "travertine backsplash" you will find a picture from joannakpl3
I believe that would look beautiful in your kitchen.
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 5:21AM
PRO
Inspired Interiors by Wendi, IIDA
I agree with dricko that a larger scaled backsplash would work better. I would also go with something more neutral, given how "busy" the countertops are. Here is a kitchen I recently designed using the same granite and a tumbled marble backsplash on the diagonal: http://inspiredinteriorsbywendi.com/gallery/
1 Like   November 8, 2012 at 5:25AM
Natalie
Hi---3 options for you. I suggest painting your walls a neutral taupe/gray color and adding brushed nickel hardware to your cabinets/drawers to balance the warm hues in your space. Check colors: SW7017 Dorian Gray and 7018 Dovetail... Good Luck! :)
http://www.mytilebacksplash.com/belliniharlequinseaweed.aspx http://www.mytilebacksplash.com/davincidesertmulti.aspx http://www.mytilebacksplash.com/visionseriesblendcappucinnolinear.aspx
3 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 6:02AM
tfm2012
I agree, I think the small tile and the detail in the granite would be too busy- if you tiled the whole thing with it. If you love it, you could think about incorporating it and using it as a part of the back splash.
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 6:58AM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Backsplashes should do more than "match pretty well" as you describe the one you've tentatively selected above. A lot of tile stores employ professional interior designers to help their clients. I suggest you take a granite sample, or a good picture, to two or three local tile dealers and ask for help. You may find something beautiful that's not in your budget. Don't despair. A beautiful mosaic can look fabulous mixed with a larger, less expensive tile. It's like wearing diamond earrings instead of a sequined sweater. Below is a drawing showing how you can use a small amount of glass tile and achieve a simple and beautiful backsplash. Frequently a single square foot of an expensive glass mosaic could be all you'd need in your kitchen.
2 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 7:06AM
PRO
Selma Hammer Designs
I would use that fusion tile in the photo as an accent tile, use 6 rows of it and run it horizontally. I would use a neutral travertine, 4 x 4" field tile. That way your accent tile will be the feature, but not too much or too busy. Just be careful not to run the accent tile at the height of electrical outlets because it will break up the line and look funny. Good luck!
2 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 7:16AM
PRO
Selma Hammer Designs
I would use that fusion tile in the photo as an accent tile, use 6 rows of it and run it horizontally. I would use a neutral travertine, 4 x 4" field tile. That way your accent tile will be the feature, but not too much or too busy. Just be careful not to run the accent tile at the height of electrical outlets because it will break up the line and look funny. Good luck!
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 7:16AM
olldcan
Too busy and too much grout. I think with such a busy top I'd try to find larger scale tiles with little pattern. Even If you don't have a sample chip of the laminate Home depot I believe stocks this counter amongst others and It's used in several displays. Since it's in stock, make a trip to the tile aisle and grab several possibilities to put them right on a piece of counter. I can think of a tumbled marble they have that looks fantastic with this top. Used only as a border with a plain field tile of same tone.
1 Like   November 8, 2012 at 8:25AM
loves2read
Agree that the sample square is too busy for that granite--but would be helpful to see larger photo of kitchen with the different runs of blacksplash areas---as well as the flooring and the light available...

You will probably want something over the cooktop that is more of a focal point design and not just continuation of the general backsplash...
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 9:21AM
mchelz3
Thanks all for your suggestions! Returned the other sample and will keep looking! :-)
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 5:33PM
PRO
Hibbler-Properties
The size and color of the mosaics are off. I'd suggest any type 4x4 of glossy tile (off white, light tan or if your appliances are dark, then consider a dark shiny tile such as dark brown or charcoal grey, to add some bling) placed diagonally will really bump it up a notch and is less expensive than glass tiles. You could also consider stainless steel tiles placed diagonally. You can find these online.
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 5:53PM
anitajoyce
I agree with a lot of the comments also. The tile pattern is too busy and too small. Something in one color or a more subtle color and in a bigger tile would work better. A subway tile would be nice to go with the counter top.
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 5:58PM
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
I would go with something in a richer brown to really accent the speckles in the granite. Everything in the photo looks pretty mid-toned, a simple deeper backsplash will add more depth and make the counters shine.
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 8:15AM
mchelz3
@ Susan... Where can I find those back splashes?
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 8:20AM
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
The first design is a combination of JB1504 Brown Frosted Glass tile and JM1201 Brown Slate Metallic Glass Tile. The second is a combination of SUBR2292 Opaque Deep Brown Glass Subway Tile, SUBR3292 Deep Brown Iridescent Glass Subway Tile, and SUBR4292 Matte Deep Brown Glass Subway Tile.

I actually custom designed these for you in our Mosaic Designer, http://www.susanjablon.com/designer/mosaic-designer.html
You can also design your own if you'd like. We can send you samples of anything you'd like so you can be sure it looks perfect in person!
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 8:44AM
mchelz3
Found this one last night...heading out tommorrow to do some more looking. Opinions?
2 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 7:33PM
PRO
It doesn't seem to have any of the brown tones in it that you would need to go with your granite. It appears black, gray and white to me, which is not what you should be selecting. Quite attractive, tho, for someone else!
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 7:36PM
Heidi Ross
You can find backsplash like Susan posted at Home Depot and Lowes
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 7:38PM
olldcan
Your laminate counter is in stock at Home Depot, they have numerous potential backsplash tiles to match. That one is too grey :(
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 7:54PM
anitajoyce
Keep looking. I don't think the colors of go together too well.
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 6:18AM
mchelz3
Here are some choices from Home Depot...
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 6:46AM
mchelz3
Another...
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 6:47AM
mchelz3
Another option?
1 Like   November 10, 2012 at 6:48AM
Anna
Put in a new kitchen, dark cherry with black tops, used bead board paneling and painted it a bees wax by sherwin williams, the great room opens to the kitchen is a much lighter shade of that color, I like rich warm colors
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 6:51AM
mchelz3
One more and off to Lowes
olldcan
Oh, way better. I like the 1st or 3rd one a lot. The 2nd picture has a green tinge to the glass, maybe it's my monitor though. Are you at HDEP now. Can you put them up to the counter top in the store
mchelz3
At lowes now... No they didn't have the countertop in stock. We just gutted our kitchen awhile back.
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 6:53AM
olldcan
The dark brown is nice too and might me the answer to give your kitchen some punch :)
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 6:56AM
anitajoyce
Look at the subway tiles in the stores also with a more subtle color.
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 7:02AM
mchelz3
Lowes
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 7:14AM
anitajoyce
Any lighter shades to choose from? I like the size and shape of the tile . You are getting there! Look at the white or beige ones also. Something in a subway tile with a more glossy finish to it. This will be a good balance between the counter color and cabinet color
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 7:18AM
olldcan
It would go but seems to look like a safe choice. If your looking for something more on trend then I would say no to that one
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 7:18AM
mchelz3
Agreed... I seem to favor the stone mix and more the rectangle shape.
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 7:39AM
mchelz3
Eenie meanie miny mo.... Opinions on my final two choices?
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 3:11PM
mchelz3
Closer view
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 3:12PM
olldcan
LOL I was wondering if you fell asleep and spent the night at Lowes. Just noticed you have a black sink and funny how seeing that would change my mind. Definitely a broader view of the kitchen can influence a decision. I think the one on the left that's darker is a better choice.
2 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 3:25PM
januo
I have cream gloss units and unsure what colour to paint walls to bring out the colour if units any ideas what goes best
1 Like   November 11, 2012 at 3:40PM
anitajoyce
The one to the left is the better choice. Thanks for showing more of the kitchen. That helps a lot.
2 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 3:42PM
olldcan
Hi januo, best to post your question in Design Dilemma, add a few pictures to help better describe your space. Once everyone can see, they'll be more help and opinions than you could imagine, good luck to you. I'll watch for your post and pictures and help if I can :)
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 3:45PM
mchelz3
Ha, no didn't fall asleep there, we were busy the rest of the day with our side business and had our oldest daughter and her college friends over for ribs and wings! Would take a better picture of the kitchen, but I have cookie trays laying all over right now! :-) To give you a visual the countertops go all the way down one wall with the exception of the break of the black sink, (which I LOVE), and the stove. Then we also put in a island with stools with the countertop carried over there too. So glad I found this site, everyone has been so helpful!
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 3:51PM
anitajoyce
Send a photo anyway, we don't care about the trays (thanks for telling us). or just push them to the side. Seeing the whole space is the most important thing right now for you and all of us that have commented to give an opinion.
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 3:56PM
mchelz3
Kitchen view...
1 Like   November 11, 2012 at 4:07PM
anitajoyce
Very nice kitchen. Love it! Still like the tile on the left in the last photo you posted. Will you be adding any hardware to the cabinets? If so brushed nickel round knobs for the doors and brushed nickel pulls or handles for the drawers would be a nice accent also. This will go nicely with the stainless on your appliances.
1 Like   November 11, 2012 at 4:14PM
mchelz3
View with pantry and island...
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 4:16PM
mchelz3
Thanks! I will keep the hardware in mind...I've been fine without it....more to clean!
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 4:17PM
Natalie
Yes, left...
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 4:18PM
anitajoyce
Thanks. Lovely kitchen. Please post pictures when you 're done.
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 4:19PM
olldcan
Oh who cares about cookie trays.. : )....wait, your not asking us to clean them are you? I have sweaty hockey equipment drying out on mine so it can be worse. Okay, that confirms it for me. I'm staying with the darker one on the left. Nice kitchen, the under cabinet lighting will really show how beautiful the darker tile really is.
2 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 4:20PM
mchelz3
Is there a 'how to' guide on here on installing backsplash? What about grout color?
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 4:25PM
olldcan
I'm not sure about a guide on Houzz but here's a link to a how to video that should put your mind to ease. You can totally do this project yourself with great results
For the grout, I'd pick a dark one to match the tile so it blends in seamlessly.

www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,20337249,00.html

Please post after pics, I'd love to see when it's complete. Then you can remove the cookie trays
Ahhhhh life :)
1 Like   November 11, 2012 at 5:23PM
mchelz3
Finally got hubby to come to Home Depot with and here is his choice.
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 5:18PM
dricko
I'm going to agree with your husband. It's hard to tell from the picture if the tiles are tan or gray, but I love the 4 x 4 with the glass mosaic accent. It even looks like there's a little black in there too. I think you'll be much happier if you go with a larger tile than if you go with something like you posted yesterday. You don't want someone to walk into your kitchen and just notice the backsplash. You want them to walk in and see the whole of your beautiful kitchen. Can you post a picture of this sample in your kitchen when you get home?
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 5:58PM
mchelz3
Not sure on which tile and problem being the electrical outlets down the wall, also what would we do when we got to the stove. So yay or nay? Which color tile?
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 6:20PM
dricko
Yay!!!! I think you've finally found it!!!! I like the 2nd and 3rd tile colors. The first is too close to the countertop. Of course all this is assuming I'm seeing the colors as they actually are. I would run the tile behind the stove so there is a straight run of tile all along that wall/counter.
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 6:36PM
calikym
I like option 3 with the green glass. It adds color and lightens the look up. :). I like it by a wide margin tbh.
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 6:40PM
olldcan
I still like the dark mosaic the best with your counter. I have actually purchased that exact counter on numerous occasions and although on the lighter side, it's quite busy. Now "busy" is exactly why I'd stay away from all the other mosaics you have chose. Don't get me wrong, they're beautiful but your counter has quite a bit going on. I wouldn't choose a tile like the bottom 3 from HDEP. The 6x6 size is a little out dated and because they're just like the wall colour behind them, so may as well not bother.

The mosaic I like is the thinest of all that you have chose and easy to cut with tile nippers.

Yes, tile behind the stove. I usually start the tile about 3" below the counter top height. Just so you don't see the bottom row if your looking at an angle.

Sorry, what's your concern with the electrical outlets?
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 7:16PM
mchelz3
With the electrical outlets, I was concerned with if we ran one strip down that it would be so broken up with having three of them on the wall at the same level. Then, once you got to the stove you wouldn't even see the strip, as it would run behind it. Check out my post on basement kitchenette and let me know what you think, we just picked the cabinets and countertop up tonight. :-)
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 7:27PM
olldcan
Oh I see, yes accent strips lined up with outlets, not the best idea. Can I suggest that if you go with a darker backsplash that you change the electrical outlets to a dark colour as well, just so they don't stand out so much. I'll check your other post
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 7:50PM
olldcan
I just wanted to pass this link to you ....just incase you wanted to update your oak cabinets or change the colour of you island.
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/242314
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 7:54PM
mchelz3
Cabinets are staying as is, they were all replaced just a few years ago.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 4:39AM
mchelz3
Cabinets are staying as is, they were all replaced just a few years ago.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 4:39AM
greenthumb2
The second tile color is dreamy, very relaxing. Good job. Wow, you really have the feed back. Enjoy that kitchen!
1 Like   November 13, 2012 at 4:46AM
greenthumb2
PS. you can custom paint your cover plates to match your tile. Just an idea if the white is too bright for you. Use acrylic and coat with clear.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 4:47AM
christi_howitt
Second colour is the best with the mosaic and it doesn't have anything like a textural feel to it . The lighter solid colour let's the eye relax before seeing another pattern in the mosaic or counter.
1 Like   November 13, 2012 at 5:33AM
More Discussions
Where to put my sink?
We are completely gutting our 1890's semi attached...
Big house, DARK interior trim & doors :(
We just closed on a beautiful house. The interior felt...
Mixing metals in bathroom
We bought a spec home and were able to make some selections,...
Still looking for the perfect rug, round or square, for family room
Please give me your advice on type of rug for the family...
White House reflecting "green"
I painted my house "Ballet White" (it got great reviews...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.