Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Dining room lighting, please!
margmary
November 8, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We've just bought a home that has been sorely neglected. The dining room has a poor quality Tiffany hanging light, not even wired in... hanging plug. The room is small and the table won't be centered under a fixture if placed in the ceiling. Other ideas?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi margmary! There are so many possibilities in lighting. A few questions first - do you already have furniture that you are going to move into the new house? If so, do you have any pictures or can you describe the style and color? Are you interested in ceiling lighting (such as multiple pendants) which would probably require an electrician's help? Do you have a floorplan or pictures of the room?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
November 8, 2012 at 10:18am   
PRO
ATGStores.com
Hi, Margmary! Answering the above questions will definitely help, but for now we had an idea. If the room is small and the table won't be centered under the existing ceiling outlet, perhaps you could consider two modestly bright torchiere floor lamps (http://www.atgstores.com/torchiereuplight-floor-lamps_94_oa3193995.html?linkloc=catheader&gpid=519221) to provide dining lighting. We've chosen a few to give you an idea of what we mean, and hope this idea gives you more clues! Good luck!
November 8, 2012 at 11:43am   
margmary
thanks! I'll take some photos and post them tomorrow. We do have furniture -- simple table and caned seat chairs, old glass front china cabinet, large bookcase. All pieces mahogany or walnut. The dining area is one end of the large "living room." One wall contains french doors to a deck so access is an issue.
November 8, 2012 at 7:08pm     
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi margmary! Was just checking in -- how's the room coming along? Did you get a chance to take some pictures?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
November 12, 2012 at 6:28pm   
margmary
Hi -- I did take photos but can't figure out how to post them to the site. ???
November 13, 2012 at 9:22am     
PRO
the essentials inside
You can add the photos at the bottom of your comment. Look to the left, right below the comment you'll see "Attach Images". That's probably the easiest way.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
November 13, 2012 at 12:19pm   
margmary
For some reason I utterly missed that little green phrase. See it now!
November 14, 2012 at 1:08pm   
margmary
I like the idea of ceiling lighting, and think that will probably be the solution, as it is flexible for future rearrangements of the room. Or perhaps wall sconces? We'll be painting eventually... more important things to do right now though. (Like repairs to kitchen, bathrooms, plumbing, the dishwasher just died... it does go on and on.)
November 14, 2012 at 1:10pm   
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi margmary! I miss little (& big) things all the time. :) It is a very nice space and w/a few tweaks it will be fab!

I see, the table won't be centered b/c of the book case? Can you move it into another room -- a bedroom even?

Sounds like you have lots of work to do!

Do you have the decor in the living room set or are you open for ideas on that too? If so, want to take some more pics when you get a chance - now that you know where the little button is. :) Since it is all one space, it would be best to coordinate.

I agree that ceiling lighting is the way to go. We have a lot of choices at our store & I'm adding more now. We are also an affiliate for WayFair.com so I could help you w/choices there.

I'll work on some "photoshops" for you over the next few days. I'm sure we'll get some good advice from the other Houzzers too. Such fantastic people here.

Talk to you soon.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
November 14, 2012 at 6:01pm   
margmary
The bookcase has to stay, Lyvonne, and I realize that it is too big for the room. I actually wondered about painting it, and the matching one at the other end of that wall, in the lviing room, to match the wall, to make them a bit less intrusive. We got them in SC, in a house with 13' ceilings and a huge side wall. And we have many books. I'll take some more photos of the living room. I have lots of ideas but it will be a year before we can implement any of them.
November 14, 2012 at 7:51pm     
PRO
the essentials inside
Got it, furniture stays! A year goes fast so it is good you are starting now to think and plan now! Happy to join you on this adventure.

I'll keep an eye out for your pics. Hope you have a great night.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
November 14, 2012 at 8:20pm   
More Discussions
Does anyone know who makes this bedroom??
I want this bed so bad and can't find it anywhere....
Should I add knobs to the cabinets in this tiny kitchen?
Would brushed nickel round knobs be the finishing touch...
Where the floor meets the glass handrail....
Hello. I am adding a handrail exactly like the picture...
Door to Door Sales / Soliciting?
Do you get solicitors at your door in your neighborhood?...
Family room decorating
Looking for advice in picking console table for this...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.