Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help! grout for turquoise glass tile and white tile
Rio Brewster
November 8, 2012 in Design Dilemma
OK so my bath is almost done. I have white ceramic tiles and aquamarine glass accents as well as a mural.

For the life of me, I cannot find a decent grout color for the walls. I don't want to go white - it is a shower and I don't have confidence in my ability to keep white grout white. Plus I think white is a bit... clinical.

The grout lines are teeny, less than 1/8", so I thought a nice pale blue/green would work well. With all the glass tile out there, that should be easy to find right?

Problem is - it doesn't seem to exist. I saw "Blue Oyster" from MAPEI in a deck at Lowes, but it appears to have been discontinued because I can't find a color chart with it to save my life, much less the grout itself.

Any Ideas?
http://st.houzz.com/simgs/9a128ee300518470_8-9600/home-design.jpg
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Rio Brewster
here's the drawing. colors are a little brighter in the drawing, but not much.
November 8, 2012 at 12:11pm   
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
We have a grout called Starry Night, but it is probably darker than you're looking for. The image below on the left is it used in a blend with similar colors to yours, to give you an idea. You can try out all of our grout colors in our Mosaic Designer, http://www.susanjablon.com/designer/mosaic-designer.html It's an awesome tool to look at layouts, color combinations, and grout to really make the tile pop.

Something else to consider is using paint or dye to tint white grout. The image on the right is a mosaic one of our students made. We mixed a few drops of a high quality acrylic paint in white grout to get the blue and yellow colors. Using paint usually results in a pale hue, especially if the paint is a cheap craft paint, which is probably an easy solution for you without spending a lot of money! We have also used RIT dye (the clothing dye), which results in pretty much the same color grout as the dye, but it's probably better for richer/bolder colors.
November 8, 2012 at 12:54pm   
frances54
I was at the north Austin Flor & Decor last month looking for a light grey grout, they seem to have a pretty large selection and if I recall correctly, they had both a light blue and a kinda sea foam green. They're near 183 and Braker.
November 8, 2012 at 12:56pm   
Rio Brewster
They have a green called cool mint which is a little too green, but that's the current backup plan - other than like platinum or arctic ice.
November 8, 2012 at 1:30pm   
Rio Brewster
Thanks - the starry night is too dark. Caribbean blue is actually what I plan to use on the aqua pebble tiles on the floor. I'll talk to my contractor about using a bit of the wall color with white for a light tint - it's only 78 sf so they should be able to go in one batch.

Or I may just go with white and ask them to do epoxy.

Has anyone tried StarGlass with a mix of ceramic and glass? Aquamarine is a good color but I'm afraid if might be overkill for what is mostly white ceramic tile.
November 8, 2012 at 1:36pm   
More Discussions
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Dated kitchen and stairs in modern 2-storey loft
Looking for design ideas for dated kitchen, stairs...
How do I block in an archway between rooms like this?
I have two living rooms connected by an arch (like...
Racontez-nous votre maison de vacances de rêve ?
Depuis que j'ai vu cette photo, je rêve de passé...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.