Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Gallery wall
sparky96
November 8, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I am planning on making a gallery wall on this wall ( in my family room). I have all professional black and white photos that were taken in studios. Is that ok or should I use a mixture of photos I've taken (more candids) as well? Any other fun ideas welcomed! As you can see, I literally have a blank slate!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
closetdecorator
Personally, my photo walls have always had much more interest when mixing black and whites and color. I also mix all different types of frames. Modern with clean lines as well as thicker vintage finds.The one thing I do keep consistent is the mat colors. However, I don't use mats in all of the frames...just some. One last hint...I intermix one or two small pieces of my kids' artwork on the wall as well. For example, my three year old tore out a piece of yellow construction paper (with help from his older brother) was able to write "I luv my family" and then drew each member of the family. I placed this in a floating frame and it really stood out. Plus, the color yellow went really well with my overall room. And lastly, it was actually the 'family' photo wall so it made perfect sense. Got many compliments on it. Good luck!
November 8, 2012 at 4:43pm     
November 8, 2012 at 4:50pm     
inkwitch
Studio photos are usually stylized, somewhat artificial (posed, perfect hair and clothes), so some candid shots mixed in in black & white would give the display more interest. Keep the frames consistent, but mix up the sizes. ANd plot it out on the floor before you start nailing. Sounds like fun!
November 8, 2012 at 5:15pm     
Darzy
I ran across this on Houzz and saved it because I liked that there was one yellow frame mixed in. But, I do notice that most are matted. I think that looks best. I like the 2nd option too because they are hung low and fills the space = all black and white matted.
Hillgrove
Elle Decor Showhouse 2010
November 8, 2012 at 5:40pm     
smldesigns
I agree you should use all the same frames and mats whether white or black. I would trace each frame on brown wrapping paper. Then cut out the shapes and use painters' tape to play with the arrangement on the wall. I wouldn't mix in color photos, but find another way to add color to your room - maybe plants, baskets, pillows.
November 8, 2012 at 7:18pm     
nevadan
Try to have your arrangement set up so that the outside of the total arrangement is a rectangle. You could arrange your pictures in vertical columns, connected top to bottom with black or white ribbons. you are going to have to dust it all very frequently, or it will get very dirty!.
November 8, 2012 at 8:48pm   
Darzy
Here is the symetrical version. notice they are all matted too. They all look good, so it's a matter of your personal taste.

November 8, 2012 at 8:55pm     
dtlajessie
Different frames makes a art wall more eclectic. Here's a pic of my house
November 8, 2012 at 8:59pm   
PRO
Staged for Perfection
I think that all black and white frames would be sooo boring in that space. You can bring your wall to life with some candids and a mixture of frames.
November 8, 2012 at 9:52pm   
pollyannagal
Keeping them all black and white is very calm and elegant but may be too formal for a family room. You have received some good suggestions re layout so I won't repeat that. One suggestion to help keep it fresh and fun is to include some frames that you can easily change the contents of to update with current artwork or seasonal pics or to include a 'picture' that is a board where you can easily attach birthday cards, school or sporting awards etc.
November 9, 2012 at 7:53am   
greenthumb2
Art is unique. Some sets are good in "like" frames but the occasional odd one that you love should be in a different frame and mat. Cohesive can happen if you tie them together with one concept; nature, people, family, friends, animals, or do a montage of life. You can also do seasonal setups whereby you change them out 3-4 times per year (if you desire) to give all your art and pics a place to shine. One rule I like to stick with: same level of all art all throughout home on non inclination walls. So if all 8 ft ceilings, hang all pics 38" down (as an example) from ceiling. That way there is a flow, not a display of the top line of pics with some higher than others. Unless it is a pattern that is obvious to the viewing audience. darcy and dtlajessie have posted some good examples. I prefer a mix of the same kinds of subject matter for a statement. But you need to decide how to showcase best.
November 9, 2012 at 2:05pm   
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
I say use a combination of professional and candid pictures. You can always switch pictures in and out. Since this is your family room is should be fun and reflect your family!
November 9, 2012 at 4:45pm