powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
New Kitchen - Need help with choice of backsplash!!
Petaluma Homes
November 8, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Any specific recommendations or ideas? Thanks much!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
closetdecorator
I would consider a cream tumbled marble of some kind. Would lighten up the darker finishes of the cabinets and granite. Maybe in a subway patter, staggered. Definitely a light color.
November 8, 2012 at 5:13pm     
inkwitch
I don't know if this photo is representative of the true colors, but something "acidic" or even bland would help counteract all that "orange." Perhaps a pale apple penny tile or pale gray subway. Try to find faceplates for the electrical that blend with whatever backsplash you choose; these really stand out.
November 8, 2012 at 5:18pm     
PRO
rhoadeswoodworking
i think a stone look would look really good
November 8, 2012 at 5:21pm   
Natalie
Hi---oh boy, yes you have to break up all the warm wood tones. I suggest removing the 4" backsplash and adding either of the two tiles below. A contemporary light fixture to balance the wood and repeat the finish of the appliances and backsplash. Add brushed nickel hardware to cabs and drawers. The current light gets lost as it is lighter in hue than the cabs---if it were oil rubbed bronze it could work, but the warm shades are a miss. Paint the wall a different color. Again-it's too warm. Try SW 6036 Poised Taupe. Hope this is helpful advice for you. Best of Luck!

[houzz=Long Random Bar Silver Pewter And Chrome Aluminum Tile]
[houzz=3D Silver And Pewter Aluminum Square Mosaic Tile]
[houzz=Sonneman Bubbles 8-Light Pendant]
November 8, 2012 at 5:54pm     
Petaluma Homes
Perhaps this gives a better view of the overall setting
November 8, 2012 at 5:58pm   
Natalie
Hi Robert---ok, so after seeing this photo-I'm thinking you want to go traditional in this room, correct? Let me know and I'll give you some ideas. :)
November 8, 2012 at 6:04pm   
Petaluma Homes
I think that would be a safe call. Also, all the walls have been painted after these photos were taken to a neutral, light beige. It's similar to the beige in these photos but all the red is gone.
Here is another angle.
November 8, 2012 at 6:12pm   
ccwatters
I think glass tiles would look sharp. They could be dark and light mixed, and the added reflection would brighten things up without necessarily having to go "light" in just one main color of the backsplash. I really like the 'colors' of the glass tiles in the first photo (they are between the quartz on the bottom and the slate large tiles on top). The large tiles (all by themselves) are a nice clean look too, but I'm not sure you have enough room....you could put them on a diagonal.

The second photo is a good example of how glass tiles look in addition to a 4" splash from the countertop.

You could also do a lighter color tumbled marble with some small dark accents to tie in your dark countertops. Third photo is an example.

Once you add your backsplash and cabinet hardware (I would do matte black, or you could go with SS), you will be amazed at how it transforms your already-great space.

Be sure to change your switch plates according to whatever you decide to go with. You could buy paintable ones, or you could go with the color of your hardware. You just want them to blend in, not stand out. I would change the one on the island to match your hardware (even if you go with paintable on the backsplash)

Congratulations on your new kitchen, looks great!

[houzz=Beaverton Kitchen]
[houzz=Kitchen backsplash on a budget]
[houzz=Small Kitchen, Big Impact]
November 8, 2012 at 6:13pm   
Petaluma Homes
Also just to clarify, it isn't new in the sense that it was just re-done. It's new in terms of the home was purchased this past year! The kitchen was completed in 2000. Thanks!
November 8, 2012 at 6:20pm   
ccwatters
Did you add the chandeliers/keeping them, or did they come with the house and planning to change them?
November 8, 2012 at 6:27pm   
Petaluma Homes
They came with the house. I attached the photo of the architectural concepts when the home was originally built and sold in 2000 and you can see the type of light fixtures that were there before. However, I do think the chandelier's will be staying for now at least.
November 8, 2012 at 6:29pm   
ccwatters
Ok. My previous suggestions were assuming the lights were staying.
As an aside, it's surprising that the kitchen was completed in 2000 and still has no hardware. It will look and function so much better with hardware
November 8, 2012 at 6:45pm   
Andrea Hunte
Hi Robert, a nice cream or a very light yellow would tone the room.
November 8, 2012 at 6:53pm   
PRO
Lifeline Property
Have you considered 4x4 glass tiles such as Shaw Floors Glass Tiel Insert in Vanilla color. You can view this online at wayfair.com. I believe it would add some "bling" to the room without overpowering anything around it. The lighting would also play off it nicely.
November 8, 2012 at 6:54pm   
Natalie
Hi again---well the original design shows a much lighter floor, not matching the cabs at all. My suggestion for you is to change either the countertops or the cabinet color and add a backsplash---it will do wonders for this space. The black and orange combo just reminds me of Halloween. Sorry. Replacing the counters could be costly, so if it's not in your budget you could keep what you have and paint and antique your existing cabinets. OR you could do Both---:) Attaching pics to inspire you... Good Luck to you Robert!

[houzz=][houzz=Kitchen Remodel By OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.][houzz=Pineapple Kitchen][houzz=English Tudor Kitchen][houzz=Kitchen view of the island from the sitting area][houzz=Glazed Cabinets]
November 8, 2012 at 6:56pm     
PRO
Architectural Justice
Check out these photos for some ideas! There are so many products and designs out there that it's best to look at similar rooms to help give you a feel of how certain colors, patterns and textures will look with your cabinetry and counter tops. Good luck!
November 9, 2012 at 8:47am   
PRO
Creations by Alno, Inc.
I like the suggestions from architectural-justice. I also think you need some cabinet hardware will help.
November 9, 2012 at 9:53am