powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Hallway and Living room open concept ideas?
knlamb10
November 8, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I have a large open hallway that I want to make into a dramatic entryway...however it also has to flow into the living room. I like bold and dramatic however not loud if that makes sense? Also the hallway is 2 stories so I was considering stripes or a darker tone but just not sure! I also considered keeping it more neutral and making the doors in the house black. Oh and I need a rug!! Thank you!!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Interior Expressions/ Nardelli Home Decor
Your home is Beautiful!! Stripes think would feel busy.. Grass cloth wall papers are nice, some have darker and lighter tones. Or decorative paint something with a bee's wax finish has a nice look also.
The entry feels like the energy all flows right into the LR.. it could handle a nice runner on the floor. Or a small piece of furniture perhaps a modern plant stand with a sculpture near the wall where it turns. Think that is more what is missing over the wall color, like the wall color as is as it shows off the architectural details and very elegant.
November 8, 2012 at 4:38pm   
closetdecorator
Definitely don't paint the doors black. Very heavy and somewhat dated in my opinion. In my entry/great room the feel is very much the same. I would always start with the rug first. Pull your colors from there. I would try a patina-like paint technique in the entryway, keep the living area nuetral and carry the entryway color through with your accessories/window coverings, pillows etc. Definitely start with the rug first though. Good luck!
November 8, 2012 at 4:47pm   
inkwitch
If you like bold, here's an opportunity to be dramatic as well. Painting the ceiling something utterly unexpected would be dramatic, given its height. 5th wall. Deep blue? Rust? Chocolate? Whatever color you like.

That "juliet balcony" with the archted window -- it doesn't seem to go anywhere. Good place for a really dramatic plant. Live plants add energy to a house.

But first the rug. Now that will be a challenge! There are so many to choose from!
November 8, 2012 at 5:25pm     
PRO
Dytecture
I agree with not painting the walls yet, perhaps try hanging some pictures / art on the walls to 'warm' them up first.
November 8, 2012 at 5:58pm   
PRO
Mint Design
I love painted doors; by all means paint the doors, but paint the door frames white. Use semi gloss for the doors. There are other colors you can paint the doors...just paint them all the same. Consider plastering the walls in a natural earthy pale sienna....a medium troweled finish. If you want bolder, consider painting the walls a bold color like chartreuse...this also complements black doors. You could put a bold paper on the walls or you can cover them with a combination of art, mirrors, and photos. Lots of mirrors to gt and reflect light...and bolder colored lampshades I am attaching some photos for inspiration.

Hope this helps! :)
November 8, 2012 at 7:27pm     
PRO
Mint Design
ps if you celebrate Christmas....your Juliet balcony is perfect for the tree!
November 8, 2012 at 7:28pm     
decoenthusiaste
Rugs at homedecorators.com are good buys, many to choose from.
November 8, 2012 at 7:36pm     
houssaon
As others have advised, start with the rug first. I would go with one with color. After you select the rug think about painting the hallway walls a different color than the greatroom.

I don't think this blue is what you'll go with, but you can see that the rug and wall color add such interest to a two-storey entry:
November 9, 2012 at 6:39am   
clmrlik
THICK white molding around all the doorways would look awesome and add big statement pieces of artwork! Paint the front door a walnut color stain and glaze. It can be brush stroked to look just like woods. Did it to metal garage doors and they look amazing!
November 28, 2012 at 7:21am   
clmrlik
Also, a much grander chandelier would look awesome and a rug with colors that you love! Where is your couch from? Love the lines on it!
November 28, 2012 at 7:23am