Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
curb appeal ideas for 50's ranch
Diane
November 8, 2012 in Design Dilemma
1956 ranch open for suggestions we are replacing the windows and I want some with black trim any thoughts...yes, no, maybe so?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Emily Hurley
Cute house! I like the white trim on the windows, but black would probably work too. What kind of colors are you thinking for the siding portions and door?
November 8, 2012 at 6:06PM   
thocken
Cool house, but I would add more light colored stone accents somewhere.. as in a column or wall....to make it 60's modern. Keep the windows in white or a soft white. New front door. Keep it modern and clean lined.
November 8, 2012 at 6:17PM   
jklopp
I would keep the trim light, perhaps match the other colors that you can't change. Paint the front door a color that attracts attention. The sandstone planter is awesome, I would try to draw more attention to that by doing some additional landscaping around it.
November 8, 2012 at 6:42PM     
November 8, 2012 at 6:48PM   
inkwitch
Change the rodiron porch & garage supports for square 6x6 posts.

Paint the whole house. It will make a huge difference, and while it's a lot of maintenance, it will modernize it.

The large picture window should be three windows. Something more up-to-date. If you can't afford to replace it yet, buy narrow trim and create the pattern you want by gluing it to the glass inside and out.

Start working on that planter if you're going to keep it. YOu need trailing plants that spill over and some low flowering plants, or all green plants. Also in front of hte porch.

Change the front door to something more up-to-date (French door? Rustic repurposed wood?) with a glass storm door. Be sure you paint the storm door trim the same color as either hte door or the trim.

Carrying the line of the portch roof/carport roof across the front over the picture window, something like a modified pergola, would pull the two sections together and make the facade look more "important."

This style of mid-century house also has an Oriental flavor which you could use to design advantage. Good luck. I have a similar (lapboard) mid-century ranch style which I am pushing toward a "craftsman" look. It takes time and forethought, so don't rush it until you're sure about what will work. It's a cute house with good possibilities. Just be sure to get rid of those rodiron supports.
November 8, 2012 at 7:15PM   
victorianbungalowranch
I think the brick color is perfect as it is--a beautiful color and low maintenance and looks to be in great condition.

Dark window frames may be OK, but I rather like the white with the brick and the black door. Dark frames can make the windows look like plain dark holes--maybe a bronze would be better? I would also divide the left window in two as shown, and the right into three pieces for balance and it will allow you to open the window. I have picture windows and I sure wish I could open them on a hot day!

Normally I don't like wrought iron supports, but this house is small and the roof is light enough to make it work. I think it is very nicely balanced the way it is. 6x6 could be OK, but mid-century type lattice or screen supports could really pop, if you need to replace. Or how about just getting the same metal or something similar? I think stone veneer would be too heavy and the spacing is tight.

I believe old houses don't need to be updated as much as be true to their inherent style. That can be tweaked and jazzed up, but when you have something that is good in its own modest way, it doesn't have to be dolled up. It stands on its own.
November 8, 2012 at 9:31PM     
Dar Eckert
First, are you trying to maintain the 50's modern look? If so your idea of dark window trim would work nice. Also consider the window style. Large expanses of glass was the style at the time. The wrought iron posts on the flat roof would look nice replaced with round metal posts as was the style of the time as in the first photo. Note the windows in the second photo.
Reservoir Exterior
Miwa
November 9, 2012 at 7:03AM   
Diane
What a gift to wake up and find a conversation about our house this is what I am seeing as my take away so far
planter box to be more emphasized. trailing plants
houssaon I love these references the trim color and landscape maybe just what I am looking for.
victorianbungalowranch I love what you said at the end about the houses heritage and looking good in its own modest way and your suggestions.
Dar Eckert I do want to maintain a 50's modern look and black windows I think would help. I never thought of round metal posts, I like it. Dont like the wrought iron posts but they are very classic for their time and have been growing on me epecially if I could grow a honeysuckle vine plant around it. The black windows look good on these houses although these references overall seem more pretentious and less down to earth modest which is kind of what our house vibe seems to give off.

Would the black windows work with the green trim of the Cornell House and make it more modern feeling? door color?? thank you thank you
November 9, 2012 at 10:16AM