Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Awkward Corner for our refrigerator..
hallmoll
November 8, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Help! My boyfriend and I are in the process of renovating our 1901 kitchen. The corner of our kitchen is small, confusing, and the only place our new 33" french door refrigerator can be located. We are planning on closing up the window, but all other doorways stay. We would also like the frig to be built-in, not freestanding. Any ideas for frig placement?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
smldesigns
Your kitchen looks great so far. I think once you block out the window you should be able to fit the new fridge in the same place and build surround it with cabinet or cabinets - maybe a long narrow pantry style if you have room and then one over the fridge. I can't tell if you have any room to the left of the dishwasher.
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 9:07PM
PRO
Staged for Perfection
Can the fridge fit on the the other wall? i.e not the window wall but the adjacent one?
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 10:06PM
hallmoll
Thank you both for your replies! There is another doorway to the left of the dishwasher. The whole room has 6 doors altogether, which is where my dilemmas have stemmed from. The frig can fit on the adjacent wall, but the walk space starts to get tight at the end of the island and the door leading to the turquoise room. My bf wanted to angle the frig, which I think is a waste of space. Id also be up for open shelves, or something for our dogs food dish. So many options, its hard to know where to go with it for the future when we decide to sell it :/
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 10:24PM
Jonathan Graham
Tough decisions here. First reaction is to put the built-in in the corner. The dogs bowls can be built into the end of you lovely island, depending on the overhang.
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/117952/What-is-the-width-of-the-dog-bowl-end-unit-
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 11:27AM
Darzy
What is behind the non-window wall? Can you steal some space and recess the refrigerator to make it flush with the wall? Then, you can keep the window and put the doggie station under the window.
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 11:32AM
Leslie Haney
Can you take space from an adjacent room? That would allow you to "build in" the fridge. Possibly on the wall and blue room? If you do go ahead and close up the window, you could use that approx 6" of wall space for a panty etc.??
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 11:32AM
Darzy
I would avoid losing a window! Is that the only window in the room?
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 11:34AM
colelynndefranco
If you are doing all that renovating and custom cabinets etc you should kitty corner it! I have never seen a fridge kitty corner, but I think in that space it'd look amazing... but I agree, losing a window is kind of a rough thing to do, especially if you change your mind in the future or redo your kitchen or something... one thing you can consider it having the fridge angled in the corner like I said and getting very pretty drapes in a bold color, do them fro ceiling to floor, it'll elongate the space and hide the window.
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 11:49AM
PRO
Kitchen Art of New England LLC
I see you have a flue in the wall to the right of the window. If you can I would sink the fridge into that wall What is behind it? That way you save the window and your fridge does not take up space in that small area.
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 12:13PM
PRO
Kitchen Art of New England LLC
I see you have a flue in the wall to the right of the window. If you can I would sink the fridge into that wall What is behind it? That way you save the window and your fridge does not take up space in that small area.
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 12:13PM
PRO
Cline Architects
Turn it 90 degrees. Build a simple surround. Here is a photo of one that incorporates cubbies for wine bottles with a little storage above.
2 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 12:32PM
smldesigns
I agree with building it into the wall if you can but if not, lose the window and build around it. You need 3 feet between the island and what's around it (cabinets, walls, etc.). if putting it on the adjacent wall doesn't leave you room ... I'm not sure that putting a wine rack above the fridge is advisable - it's commonly done, but heat rises and wine should be kept at a cooler temp. I will admit that the wine racks really look nice.
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 12:50PM
hallmoll
Thank you all for the tips and suggestions! I certainly have a lot to work with now. I taped out the frig size on the floor for better measuring. We can't sink the frig because of the placement of water and electric hookups in the next room for our washer/dryer. Angling would put it just over 2ft from the island, so its too tight of a walkway. We do have a window on the other side of the kitchen, with plans in the future to replace it for French or sliding glass doors. Hopefully that will remedy the natural light crisis :) now for the big question.. Keep the frig all the way in the corner, or center it on the window wall? Hmmm..
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 9:10AM
hallmoll
It's roughly 33" by 34". 21.9 cubic ft kenmore from sears. Those are the dimensions with door closed and handle on.
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 9:19AM
mjlb
Remember to allow space for air circulation around the refrig. And more space (perhaps 2-in. each side) for built-in construction. Plus more space if you want the built-in to do more than simply enclose the frig.
1 Like   November 10, 2012 at 9:50AM
mjlb
It's a little hard to tell from images, but it looks like if new frig placement is at 90-degree angle to current placement, it would be easier to access the frig contents. Left hinge would work best - and remember you need to allow space to the left so that when door is open at a 90-degree or greater angle, that the door handle doesn't bang the wall to the left.
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 9:54AM
smldesigns
I think what you have marked off looks a little small for a french door fridge. I think it should go on the wall with the window - so that it opens in the same direction as the stove. What you could do is bring in the fridge and move it around and see how you like it before enclosing it with cabinets.
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 11:01AM