Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with color for kitchen splashback
reidsal
November 9, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Just put in a new, very white kitchen and need help with the splashback color. Thanks!!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
swiemann
Are you looking to stay more neutral (greys/whites) or is this where you want to add a nice touch of color? Are the walls staying white?
November 9, 2012 at 5:25AM     
reidsal
Yes - the walls are staying white, so color in the splashback is a definite option. Quite keen to keep it neutral though and warm. Maybe an amber or something that picks up the floor tone?? I do like grey but it might be a bit stark?
November 9, 2012 at 5:36AM   
reidsal
In the foreground of the second picture attached you will see that the rest of the open plan space will have some intermittent red/ crimson accents. I wouldn't want a huge red splashback though.
November 9, 2012 at 5:39AM   
PRO
Dytecture
You could always warm a space up with accessories while keeping the 'permanent' elements neutral as you mentioned.

November 9, 2012 at 6:22AM     
PRO
Laurie S Woods, ASID
Great Kitchen remodel! Since the tone of the floors are warm and you have a red rug, go with a cooler neutral for the back splash. You can select a warm gray (if that makes sense) to avoid too stark a look. It will provide enough contrast while keeping it neutral.
And since you've established such a clean, architectural look, I'd resist any urge to introduce a "feature" strip or second color of tile. Keep your modern look going with one color in a simple shape glazed tiles.
Then you can add crimson with one or two great accessories.
Good luck!
November 9, 2012 at 6:27AM     
PRO
ALLDECOR Home Staging & Design
I suggest installing a mosaic backsplash tile to the bulk head/ceiling, in the neutral tones - white & grey. If that too cool looking for you then white & grey with some light beige. This photo is Style At Home magazine editors Erin McLaughlinss' own personal kitchen. Follow this link for the entire article and more photos. http://www.styleathome.com/homes/interiors/erin-mclaughlin-s-ikea-kitchen-makeover/a/41731/3
November 9, 2012 at 6:39AM     
bubblyjock
Great kitchen!

Ikea have a very clean and simple stainless steel backsplash that sits behind the range; I think it's available in 30" and 36" widths, and is very well-priced indeed. You could top it with a stainless shelf (Ikea also do solid and railings shelves), which is really handy for pans, etc, and would frame the hot spot where you cook.

Do choose something that's easy to maintain an keep clean, and doesn't stain immediately with splashes of bubbling tomato sauce, or greasy foods. ;)
November 9, 2012 at 7:21AM     
pollyannagal
With such a lovely clean neutral scheme I would go for grey or silver tones. This would enable you to change accent colours and will add to the resale value (probably not priority right now but an important thing to consider). It's much easier to replace blinds or accessories than splashbacks if you want a change. Splashbacks must be easy to clean so avoid small format tiles with lots of grout.
November 9, 2012 at 7:33AM     
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi reidsal, how about something that combines the warm and cool elements, bringing out the warmth in the floor but staying cool enough that the red accents pop? I created this blend with sage and wheat colored tiles with Fern grout. I think it is a great neutral backsplash that will tie your space together, won't be stark or too warm, and will shine without overwhelming your space. I can also help you custom design something, or you can check out our mosaic designer and create your own design! http://www.susanjablon.com/designer/mosaic-designer.html
November 9, 2012 at 7:49AM     
PRO
Kitchen Art of New England LLC
Very cool kitchen!

We took a look this morning, we also like the idea of stainless steel.

Just for fun I did a quick mock up of your room with some Stainless-Steel Penny Round Metal Mosaic Tile

The photo you posted works pretty good with mock ups. If you find a tile pattern you like let me know and Ill see if I can throw it in there to give you an idea of what it would look like (roughly) =)
November 9, 2012 at 8:01AM     
reidsal
Thank you for all the ideas and suggestions! Kitchen Art - I love the suggestion! What would you think of more amber/ gold tones (maybe Susan's wheat tone idea is less garish than gold?).

Polyannagal / Alldecor - greys seem a popular palatte - any view on more reflective or less reflective options?

Thanks to all for kind comments - more ideas would still be appreciated!

Laurier - what do you mean by a warm grey?
November 9, 2012 at 12:24PM   
pollyannagal
Hard to tell from photos but your worksurfaces and refrigerator look quite glossy so I would incline towards a less reflective surface, say brushed stainless steel or a mid sheen tile. From a practical point of view remember that high gloss will show more marks so be more high maintenance, unless you like smeary splashbacks!

If you want to pick up the warmth of your flooring a nice caramel coloured limestone or stone-effect backsplash would be nice.
November 9, 2012 at 1:13PM     
mpoulsom
I think a brushed stainless steel would look great with stained wood floating shelves on those walls....OR the opposite, wood panels on the wall with stainless steel or white floating shelves!
November 9, 2012 at 1:39PM     
November 9, 2012 at 2:47PM     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
Honey,,,,,,you need more help that with just the back splash.......what are your plans for the windows, counter stools and hardware.....love the glass tile above....the stainless steel needs to blend itself in and the right tile above, will do that.....I would run it full height to the ceiling...this will ad a great deal of character, punch, and actually even some visual warmth thoughts?
November 9, 2012 at 2:55PM     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
Honey,,,,,,you need more help that with just the back splash.......what are your plans for the windows, counter stools and hardware.....love the glass tile above....the stainless steel needs to blend itself in and the right tile above, will do that.....I would run it full height to the ceiling...this will ad a great deal of character, punch, and actually even some visual warmth thoughts?
November 9, 2012 at 2:55PM   
PRO
Denise Butchko/Butchko and Company
Gary - you are hilarious - I love your candor!
November 9, 2012 at 3:04PM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
you'll love my work as well take a look www.garyfinleyinteriors.com .....calling like i see it! not here to be a nice guy and make people feel good ( well maybe get a laugh or two)
November 9, 2012 at 3:24PM   
PRO
That's excellent Gary - as is your work. Are you getting responses? Clients?
November 9, 2012 at 3:26PM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
havent had those up too long ...but ...............NO
November 9, 2012 at 3:30PM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
Denise .....great work ...image #4 on this site you post a snow shot ...what city?
November 9, 2012 at 4:02PM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
Denise .....great work ...image #4 on this site you post a snow shot ...what city?
November 9, 2012 at 4:02PM   
reidsal
One thing at a time! Next image will give context, but the window dressing will also need to be considered, so any ideas welcome!
November 9, 2012 at 6:21PM   
PRO
Mint Design
You have such a nice clean look there, I would prefer to see mirror used as a backsplash. You can use clear or light, medium, or heavily antiqued. I will attach some photos to give you an idea. Hope these help! :)
November 9, 2012 at 6:45PM     
PRO
Mint Design
ps the mirror is easy to keep, inexpensive, and will reflect light which you will need in the kitchen..
November 9, 2012 at 6:46PM     
reidsal
The room opposite is the kids tv lounge! So am not keen on mirror as it will reflect chaos!
November 9, 2012 at 6:59PM     
PRO
Mint Design
the mirror is for the backsplash ...it will not go up the wall....will not reflect the chaos...purchase a couple of mirror tiles and check it out first if you are concerned...
November 9, 2012 at 9:06PM     
olldcan
I love Mint Designs idea for the mirror, there's a few options with mirror too. Keeping it clean and sleek will be most excellent :)
November 9, 2012 at 9:32PM     
ccwatters
LOVE Kitchen Art's ideas of SS Penny mosaic. Looks gorgeous in the mock-up! Think it would look amazing in your kitchen. Great suggestion!
November 9, 2012 at 10:30PM     
PRO
Gary - not sure exactly what shot - but odds are it's Chicago if it's a snow shot.
November 10, 2012 at 8:04AM   
Natalie
After seeing more of your space I think this tile would be ideal. http://www.tileshowroom.com/product/TS11051/Impact-Staggered---Cirrus-Metal.html?cid=364
November 10, 2012 at 8:24AM     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
great choice.....now think of which way the tile should run?
November 10, 2012 at 8:42AM   
olldcan
I'd do vertical to push the ceiling up
November 10, 2012 at 8:46AM   
Natalie
Thanks Gary-
In this particular space I'm more in favor of a vertical application. HOWEVER, I suggest it be hung horizontal that way the pattern/direction contrasts to that of the wood floor. Make sense? I think so... CheerS!
November 10, 2012 at 9:08AM     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
i like the idea of the horizontal......I was base a choice on what you what to look at, the floor is totaly out of play here.....the floor is going to work as a solid mass
November 10, 2012 at 9:14AM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
kinda messed that comment up.......I would base the choice on what you want to look at,
November 10, 2012 at 9:15AM   
Natalie
Well to me the floor has to be considered because it is the only thing with color (besides white and ss), and has both a pattern and direction (slight wood grain & running vertically into the space). Since the ceilings are not high and the dining area is off of the kitchen, my eye would likely travel more from side to side, rather than up and down. Therefore---HORIZONTAL tile...
November 10, 2012 at 9:56AM     
reidsal
Thanks for all your comments. Love Natalie's suggestions ... Will let you know what we choose.
November 10, 2012 at 12:53PM     
Laura Moore
Cambria, pra sands, beautiful, check out my new kitchen. Google this color and go to images.
November 10, 2012 at 1:00PM   
PRO
Schroeder Design Group, NCIDQ, Licensed
Suggestion; Skinny/horizontal tile running from the countertop to what appears to be a soffit. However, how to "die" the tile at the far right side is a challenge. I can't see what's over to the right, the end of the kitchen area. Tile in a more brushed, matte, contemporary, greyed tone/s, metallic, stone. Or, what is going on nearby ? Can you pull a color from another area and really punch it up ( I mean I see blue/water/soft greens/muted colors possibly ).
November 10, 2012 at 1:02PM   
Laura Moore
At first I thought it would look too busy because I wanted to keep it modern but it made the kitchen! Also, it will never go out of style like some of the tile I liked.
November 10, 2012 at 1:04PM   
Natalie
Thanks! Keep us posted and Good Luck to Ya!
November 10, 2012 at 3:31PM