Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Gray couch....now what
Jessica
November 9, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are buying this beautiful gray couch (see pic) this weekend for our living room. Our living room is basically empty except for the bookshelves from pottery barn and the rug. The walls are Realist Beige by Sherwin Williams and It has high ceilings and is open to the dining room which is tradewind also by SW on the walls.

I need some advice on what accent colors I should use? I LOVE blues but I don't want to overkill the blue/brown combo. Do you think Navy Blue and White would be good? I want to get 2 accent chairs to go by the windows too. Chairs that are simple, not too heavy. Any advice or links to suggested products would be great!!

P.S. what should I put between the 2 book shelves?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charleee
Navy blue, white and gray are a beautiful, crisp color combination. For the bookshelves, instead of putting something between them, move the left unit to the right and the right unit to the left. Leave 3 equal amounts of space between them and on either side of them.
November 9, 2012 at 8:20AM     
Jessica
olldbob-thanks that's good advice about moving the book shelves.
November 9, 2012 at 8:24AM     
Nancy Hehmann
As oldbob says, your color combo are great!. You might want to select some photography for your walls before deciding though. High def photography is almost as good as being there. Once you have chosen what you want on your wall, you can pull colors from it to use for an accent color. Look at Etsy.com they have unique items from the US and all over the world really. The artisans and craftsman on there can freq. customize what you like. I have a photography shop, nancyhehman. Etsy has lots of diff home decor (and other things that would make great Christmas gifts - jewelry, purses) Just use the search engine to input what you need.

I love the ocean so I am looking at The Tybee Island Lighthouse right now and I awaken to St Thomas every morning. Can't get any better than that. But, I also love animals too. Have fun.
November 9, 2012 at 8:28AM     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I would not add navy. Dark chocolate and whipped cream come to mind, along with a little of the blue from the other room. I think slipper chairs such as the one shown below would be nice by the window. I also like the second chair below.I'd like to see you replace your PB bookshelves with a wall of Ikea Billy bookcases in the black/brown finish with the added height pieces. I'd probably do them without the doors that are shown. Slipper Chair, Woven Medi Ikat Allegra Hicks Chauncey Chair BILLY Bookcase With Glass Doors
November 9, 2012 at 8:32AM     
Dar Eckert
Will you be placing a tv in the room? If so put it between the book shelves.
November 9, 2012 at 8:41AM   
houssaon
I don't think I would do navy, especially with the rug. How about some warm colors like orange, apricot or coral? Elegant Historical Building Condominium Family Room - Home Office :: green residence ::

Also, like the advice on moving the shelves together and looking for art work first before getting pillows. What are you going to do for window treatments?
November 9, 2012 at 8:48AM   
Jessica
Carolina Photo To Go LLC- thanks for the advice about doing a photography print art piece. When trying to marry my taste with my husbands we have very different taste in art. He is very literal and I am a bit more abstract. However, I LOVE the ocean and the beach so perhaps finding something in that area would fit us both.

I moved the book cases closer together and it looks a lot better. Dar Eckert-no there will not be a TV in the room.

Carolyn Albert-Kincl Design- The bookcases will not be going anywhere anytime soon. We just purchased them a year ago, but that you for the advice. I do love the blue and chocolate chairs you mentioned, but I was trying to steer away from my habit of loving everything that is brown and blue. Although, grey and navy are not a very big stretch!

houssaon-while I also love orange, it sometimes feels a bit modern to me and I like more traditional, transitional, cottage look (if you can have all of those in one house)! However, I do have a Georgia O'keefe print hanging above the bar in that room that I love. You can see it on the floor in the second pic. Maybe I should try to pull some of those colors.

Right now we are without curtains :( I know it would warm the room up nicely but I have been waiting on picking furniture an deciding on accent colors first. Maybe this spring we can get curtains. Here are some curtain styles I like for this room:
November 12, 2012 at 11:20AM     
movethisnotthat
linen, monoco blue are big colors in the pantone color forecast, check them out I think you are on the right track with the blue. There may be other colors in the forecast that will inspire you as well, love the couch!
November 12, 2012 at 6:48PM   
msslynne
Grey is my favorite nuetral! I love how you can so easily change the feel and temperature of a room by changing accents once you have a good base. I do love blue and brown both. But lavender and pastels also look great. Your colors already look good, you could even use pillows or a throw blanket in a deep burnt orange for a pop of color with what you have now. Looks like you already have a wonderful start on a relaxing and tasteful space-trust your own instincts and play around a bit with maybe prints and textures-you have great style and it shows very well.
November 12, 2012 at 7:26PM     
Sharyn
I LOVE your sofa (gray fan here too). May I ask where you purchased it? I'm from the far northwest burbs of Chicago. On a side note off topic: Would this fabric match this sofa? I'm currently using it with BM Wedgewood gray but like you, I don't want too much blue used through the space - so I was considering Grey for the formal living room.
November 12, 2012 at 8:24PM     
Annette
I just ordered this exact same sofa from Ashley! I am painting the walls the tan color from the pillows and keeping the rest of the accents in blue, black and gray accents. I also purchased the striped uttoman and 2 of the striped chairs to put at the head of my dining room table since it is in a great room. I'll post pics when I am done... please post your completed room also so we can see how they both turned out!!
November 19, 2012 at 5:58PM   
Sharyn
Ashley ? Yay, I have one 5 minutes from me.....heading off to the store to check it out. Thanks!
November 20, 2012 at 6:17AM   
Jessica
Sharyn, yes we got it from Ashley Furniture. They had it on sale around veterans day for $488.
November 20, 2012 at 12:43PM   
Jessica
Here is the living room now with the couch...and christmas decor...still need some art work and of course curtains down the line. I actually moved the pillows that came with the couch to my tan (more causal) family room couches and brought out these blue velvet pillows from pottery barn
November 20, 2012 at 12:46PM   
charleee
Very nice!
November 20, 2012 at 12:48PM     
Dar Eckert
Love the new couch. Try turning it to face the Christmas tree and add a couple of small chairs where the sofa is now.
November 20, 2012 at 2:30PM   
orangecamera
I found this on allposters.com. Look how nice a very large seascape looks over a gray sofa! This one is Item #: 2825866 in case you're interested.
November 20, 2012 at 2:59PM     
Sharyn
Your room is coming together nicely. Do you have a Gordmans or HomeGoods store near you? They have some awesome accessories and artwork for a great price. The wall behind the couch is screaming for a huge piece of artwork, big like 36x36 or bigger. Also, check out JCP.com clearance for window treatments. Great deals to be found there. (I just ordered sliding panels for my patio doors for $50!)
November 20, 2012 at 3:01PM     
Annette
My new furniture just arrived! I got the loveseat and 2 chairs that match your sofa. LOVE IT!! Unfortunately, one of the chairs was damaged and had to return it, so we are waiting for the replacement. We went with a gray wall color since we have the tan carpet. I ordered 2 striped pillows that are being shipped as well. I am still working on my art wall behind. Ordered some family pics in black and white. I still need lighting and another side table. Thinking it would be nice to add some bling?? Either silver lamps and a tray on the table? (I like your lamps) Or I really love mercury glass, so I am thinking apothacary jars on the tables? I like the pillows you had on the couch that were solid... in the pic they look like they match the patterned pillow teal blue color?? Love the chairs that Carolyn Albert-Kincl Design posted above! That would be a great color to pull into your room also. I went with solid white curtains since I have solid white dining chairs and my living & dining rooms are open to eachother. The puppy is trying to claim the ottoman as his bed... NOT going to happen! lol
January 9, 2013 at 9:22PM   
Annette
Can't get my pic to upload. Will try to put it on my own page.
January 9, 2013 at 9:24PM   
Jessica
I need opinions. Got this new painting. What do u think of it in this room?
February 5, 2013 at 5:17PM     
Terri Maines_Theisen
I love the original pillows with the sofa they made the sofa look so much richer. I don't like the pillows above on the sofa at all. I like the picture but not in this room.
February 5, 2013 at 5:54PM     
Dar Eckert
The picture behind the sofa is lovely. I think I would get pillow or throw with the purple color from the print.
February 7, 2013 at 5:01AM   
Jessica
Here is the room now. As you can see we went with a different painting(don't ask, it's not my favorite piece of art but...) and new chairs that are light blue. Now we need to do something about the rug. Found some at Home Goods...what do you guys think?
April 26, 2013 at 12:53PM     
bocadog
Where did you find the large pictures? looking for a big picture myself! Thanks
April 26, 2013 at 1:00PM   
Jessica
Kirklands. Also Home Goods usually has some nice large sizes.
April 26, 2013 at 1:09PM   
Ann
I'm new to this discussion. Your room looks very nice and I like the chairs and artwork you chose. The rug you already have isn't bad - what makes you want to replace it? It's picky but I think the artwork is just slightly too high - is it more than 5" above the back of the sofa?
April 26, 2013 at 1:13PM   
decoenthusiaste
I don't like any of the rugs better than the one you already have. Agree for moving the picture 5" above the sofa back. This one is much better than the previous one. You might decide to frame it later. Only when they hang alone do you put the center at 60" above the floor. From the first posting I have wanted to suggest moving the ladder shelves to the loft above and making a reading nook there. I'm not a fan of them or clocks as legitimate decor. Sorry, just me. Wherever they go, style with 1/3 books, 1/3 substantial decor and 1/3 open space.
April 26, 2013 at 2:33PM     
Dar Eckert
The striped rug is better but could be a little larger.
April 27, 2013 at 6:51AM   
Jessica
The striped rug is shag and our 10 month old golden retriever has pulled out 5 inch patches!!
May 21, 2013 at 1:16PM   
Nancy Travisinteriors
These old post. So don't know if still looking for advice? Take out rug if eaten by dog. Don't buy till she is trained. The pic I sae above lacked color. I like look with 2 hairs across from each other put simple panels on windows. Add a roman shade under them. Bookcases look to cluttered.
May 21, 2013 at 1:36PM   
nking43
I always remember the room that Sarah Richardson did, using "graphite" and yellow. Beautiful combination.
May 21, 2013 at 2:32PM   
dmldml
I really love the light blue with the grey. It's soft and a bit country, and cool enough to be transitional. How about a pop of yellow? See the inspiration photo below. They use yellow chairs and a pale accents. Perhaps you can reverse the combo in your room since you already have the pale blue chairs.

May 21, 2013 at 6:06PM   
PRO
Loom Decor
@jessica- where are you on this project? have you decided on window treatments yet? we would love to work with you to help finish off your room, which has come together very nicely!! Loomdecor.com,a design-it-yourself home decor website, offers complimentary stylists to help you with your project, big or small. Please email me as I have a few great ideas that would work in your room!
jackie@loomdecor.com
happy decorating!:)
May 22, 2013 at 10:44AM   
Jessica
Here is where we are. Ignore the pack n play!
June 5, 2013 at 4:51PM   
Dar Eckert
Nice!
June 6, 2013 at 8:00AM