Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Basement ducting questions - How would YOU frame this & lighting suggestions
gussy1002
November 9, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi Everyone. Just started framing my basement and ran into my first design snag. On the attached image the ducting is outlined in orange. I don't think I'll have an issue with the top part but where I'm stumped is at the bottom.

The duct runs almost exactly half way (width wise) through the room. This is a basement with 9' ceilings and the ducting drops it down about 14", so still plenty of headroom. The family room and lounge will almost have full 9'ceilings, I plan on doing some sort of coffered effect in the family room.

Anyways, my dilemma: the 5'6" at the very bottom of the picture, once framed in will form a sort of "tunnel"...this may or may not look OK but I'm not sure what else to do. I can't carry it all the way through to the wall because the window is 6" from the top of the unfinished ceiling.

I can accept the fact that I'm going to have a tunnel, but any suggestions how to make it look better? Should I lower the entire room and then raise up a little bit around the window? I think that might look goofy. Maybe frame around all three sides just not the wall side?

As for the lighting, lets just say the ductings stays as is, I'd have two or three pots on the beam side and two or three at the window side, but then they would be at different heights and give different effects. Not sure how that would turn out.

One Idea I had is to have a center chandelier outlet with a medallion (there will be a card table in this room), but because the ducting ends right in the center I'm not sure how to frame this up.

Any ideas at this time would be appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gussy1002
no one?
November 9, 2012 at 12:00PM   
gussy1002
bump
November 10, 2012 at 5:00AM   
Shawn Lagemann
I'm trying to get a grasp on this. Is all of the framing finished? How did you frame around the ductwork. 14" down is a long way down. Also, how did you plan to finish out the window? Sheetrock wrapped, or casings and sill? If the ceiling is 9' and the ductwork is 14" deep (is that a finished measurement, with sheetrock) that leaves you with 7" 10" of headroom. If you furr down the ceiling in the tunnel area, you could box the ceiling around the window and install a small pot in the top of the box out to "fake" daylight at night, but it would look best if you wrapped the sheetrock. Unless the card table will be directly below the central chandelier, I'm not sure you will have enough room. Watch the dimension on the chandelier. Sconces on dimmers can be added here and there. There are some very low profile halogen and LED pot lights. Layer in more light with lamps and put them on a switch. I'm really not sure if I've helped you or not.
November 10, 2012 at 5:47AM   
gussy1002
Hey thanks for the reply. No the framing is not finished yet, in fact I'm just starting on it.

Yes, the finished ductwork will be 14" from ceiling. That is the depth of the ceiling beam and I may gain an inch or 2 if I stickhandled around the ducting but that would just look silly.

The windows will be casings, sill and trim. They are 28X60 and I was planning on doing a "false bottom" on them to make them appear bigger. By that I mean I would frame say a 34X60 opening but the bottom 6" would be covered by the bottom up blinds. Behind the blinds would be finished trim/window casing.

I really don't think I want to fur out the ceiling to the window. I think that would look dumb.

I think I'll take a look at the low profile pots online today, thought about wall sconces but you know maybe a lamp or two might be the best option.

Thanks again for the input.
November 10, 2012 at 5:56AM   
More Discussions
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...
Bring this living room together!
I would love your help in trying to freshen up our...
Sofa too low for dining
Want to use a couch for dining. This one has a 19 1/2"H...
need help with the best layout for my dining and living room
My fireplace is smack in the middle of both rooms....
Need Help with Kitchen Design
We are remodeling the kitchen & adjacent living room(eventually...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.