Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Hate my white tile kitchen...wish I would have done wood
Amy Sellers
November 9, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We built our house in a hurry 2 years ago, and I did what I thought would be stone looking white tile with gray grout...turns out it just looks like dirty white tile all the time. Cabinets are dark maple stain and ebony stain with gray quartz counter tops. Tile is in entry from garage, breakfast nook and kitchen that opens to living room.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
charleee
Do you have any pictures you could share?
November 9, 2012 at 8:57am   
Amy Sellers
I have since this pic painted the walls a perfect gray and painted the bar stools gray as well.
November 9, 2012 at 10:29am   
PRO
Media Decor
Replacing the tile is all you can do if it is driving you crazy. Maybe a change in the grout color would help? If you are up for removing tile, there are soooo many choices.
November 9, 2012 at 11:01am   
Amy Sellers
Thanks for the input. I've gotten a very cool gray rug for in front of the sink and a big dark jute rug for under the big antique table, so I'm hoping tha twill help. I'm thinking of something drastic...a thin layer of concrete over the top of the tile...whoa! I've researched refinishing tile, but it doesn't sound like it'll work for us (and 4 kids). Says it doesn't stand up to traffic.
November 9, 2012 at 11:51am   
PRO
PH Interiors, LLC
I agree with media decor. And new rugs really won't make much of a difference since the surface that you hate is at eye level. I think the only thing to do is replace it.
November 9, 2012 at 1:28pm   
Amy Sellers
Well my husband would kill me :) I'll keep thinking...thx!
November 9, 2012 at 3:09pm   
Darzy
Hi Amy..it doesn't look THAT bad as it is. : ) Regrouting to the color of the tile (and sealing) may make it acceptable for you. Everytime I mention new flooring..my husband gets verrryy quiet! lol
November 9, 2012 at 6:03pm     
minellicoyle
Waiting until next year to change our bathroom floor tiles, so I used mapei grout refresh in white. Check out the before/after pics. Might work for you
November 9, 2012 at 6:18pm     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
If your're right, Amy, and it really is this bad, then to avert homicide in your household, do you have something you can sell? Not your first born as your husband might miss him/her. How about an old chair in the attic, or you could start with a long forgotten boyfriend's gold bracelet (?). Maybe you'll just have to mow the neighbors lawn (shovel snow?) for a few weeks.

Whatever it takes, if you hate it and it's driving you crazy, DO something! Learn to lay tile. Of course you'll first have to learn to remove it! It's pretty easy to lay tile. With guidance, I quickly learned how to lay several hundred square feet of Saltillo tile on the island of Kauai when I was a designer in Hawaii, back in the 80s.

I had done some bad math when estimating tiling costs on a job at Princeville and I suddenly became the tile installer. Laying it was the easy part. I finally had to hire someone to do the grouting. I recall to this day that the grouting guru liked peanut butter and banana sandwiches for lunch.
November 9, 2012 at 6:21pm     
PRO
Mint Design
Hang some art or colorful plates on the backsplash....whatever you can to add some color redirect the focus/. I would consider also changing the hanging light fixtures.
November 9, 2012 at 6:36pm     
Darzy
Carolyn,...long forgotton old boyfriends bracelet? You made me laught out loud to the point my husband asked what's so funny! lol I have an ex wedding ring...hmmmmm
November 9, 2012 at 8:10pm   
PRO
Did you fess up to hubby, Darzy? Come to think of it, I have a couple of those old wedding rings, too!
Third times a charm! I'm not selling that one.
November 9, 2012 at 8:18pm     
Darzy
Oh yeah...full disclosure Caroyln. I'm keeping my third ring as well... It's the biggest. : )
November 9, 2012 at 8:57pm     
PRO
Now you have me laughing out loud! You're a hoot!!
November 10, 2012 at 6:43am     
More Discussions
i got this house 2 years ago and now we are ready for a face lift :)
Could you please help me with some ideas ? I don't...
Staging Living Room and Dining Room
We will be staging this home with an ivory sofa, glass...
Need Help with Lucite Chandelier
My mother give two identical lucite chandelier like...
Ugh...cheesy fake wood paneling
I have a houseful of fake, unattractive, dark wood...
Layout for Blank Slate
We have put in an offer on a smaller house, and I would...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.