powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help choosing glass inserts for upper cabinets!!!
Kathleen Khoorshed
November 9, 2012 in Design Dilemma
These are the style of cupboards that we've chosen for our new kitchen. The handles that we chose are longer though and more modern. We are trying to figure out what style/type of glass insert would both look best in our kitchen and what would suit our needs. We want to be able to put things in the glass cabinets but we don't want people to know exactly what's there. If they can see through the glass slightly that's ok but I don't want anyone being able to make out exactly what's behind the glass. Also, we will have lighting in those glass cabinets so I want the light to be noticeable and therefore am not looking for something completely opaque. I also want a style of glass that will stand the test of time and not look dated in 5-10 years from now.

Here is a site of different glass inserts that we need to choose from. If anyone can be of any assistance I would greatly appreciate it!!

http://www.woodbridgeglass.ca/category/inventory
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Kitchen Art of New England LLC
It seems like you are wanting 2 ways here... not really be able to see in but you are adding light inside to show what is behind the glass? If you are planning to just put dishware/glasses etc there ( not food) I would show them off! Remember if you are doing lights ... are you doing glass shelves? Otherwise the light will only shine on the top shelf. If you choose a filtered glass to not show to much inside.... a very subtle glass that is classic and not a quick dated look is what I would do. Hope this helps!
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 9:21AM
Kathleen Khoorshed
Thanks for your input! No, we are not doing any shelves at all as the actual cabinet itself is not that tall. We already have the regular sized cabinets and are putting a smaller bank of cabinets above the regular ones and then finishing it off with crown moulding, just like in the pictures that I uploaded. I'm adding the light so that it will make the kitchen feel brighter but I don't really want people to see what's behind the cabinets as I'll be putting stuff up there that I don't use that often. Do you think I should stay away from the frosted type of glass and go for something a little shinier or would the frosted look be ok?
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 9:28AM
PRO
Portlandshojiscreen
Here in Portland, there is a company called Kline Glass. They cater to stained glass artists.
I have my clients meet me at Kline where they could choose one of a hundred different glass types. Some handmade. I took along one of the doors to hold over the sheets of glass in the window.
My clients love their cabinet doors.
In fact I used this art glass in my bathroom windows instead of the typical frosted/sandblasted type glass. Let's in all the light but we can't be seen by snooping neighbors.
Yet another alternative is the plastic films that are applied to your existing glass. These are applied just like any window tint. Check out "Sun-Gard" specialty graphic films. see at: www.filmtechnologies.com
I have used this companies films many times in the sliding doors/wall that I build. Cool designs and hi-quality. Easy to apply too, but for the typical homeowner, I would consider having an expert at a window tint company put this stuff on the glass.
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 9:39AM
PRO
ct design studio
I think the water effect glass could be really cool and would be pretty lit from within. Otherwise pinhead will be a classic frosted effect for you.
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 12:01PM
More Discussions
exterior help
I am leaning more towards certainteed 's granite gray...
Layers vs Simplicity
Have you ever had an image in mind for a room that...
Design Direction help needed!
Hello! We recently purchased this house on a lake,...
Cabinet maker painted our cabinets wrong color? NOT chantilly lace
Hello- We are 3 weeks from moving into our house after...
Dining Room
So undecided on what color to paint my dining room,...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.