Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What color walls and window treatments should we use in this living room
Ann Eagles
November 9, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Currently we have curtains that a blue with gold highlights with birds on them. They only go up to the top of the French doors.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houssaon
Is this your furniture?
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 9:35AM
houssaon
This is a elegant treatment:
Although you don't need to cover the upper portion for light control or privacy, I think the longer length is more attractive.
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 9:45AM
smldesigns
Agree with houssaon on window treatment, but if you don't need to control the outside light or need privacy, leave them uncovered and paint the walls a warm color that makes the trim pop.
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 9:52AM
Aja Mazin
Great room!

Loose the dust catchers!
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 9:55AM
decoenthusiaste
Is your priority for the windows privacy, view, style trend or decor theme? If privacy, the present drapes are handling that job well, but you might want to change them and the rod out when room colors are decided. If view, hang stationary panels that fall to the floor between the windows, If style is everything take the drapery panels to the ceiling for drama. If decor theme is the issue look at the furniture you will use and see what your colors and furnishing style is - casual, could take roman shades, classical could use sheers, country, might be shades and valances. Personally, this looks to be a pretty classical room, although the sofa doesn't say so - more of a slouchy casual look. The floor design makes quite a statement. You can emphasize that statement with linen panels in one of the floor colors, or you could reduce the statement with the distraction of a stunning window treatment that sets your color palette. Either way, one of the two should be setting your decor and color theme. Stay neutral like the floor colors, or go with color to take the eye off the floor. In any case, your room is classy classical, so keep that in mind.
Palmetto Tree Bookcase
Citrus Bloom
Jamie Snavley
Entry Hall, Landing & Stairway
Doni Flanigan Interior Design Artist
2 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 9:57AM
smldesigns
I think the previous answer was good. You need to consider what the room will be used for and consider the colors in the floor unless you are going cover them (please don't - they're gorgeous). I can't tell from my monitor the exact colors of the compass are, but if your room faces east or south, you could use one of the darker compass colors on the wall. I would go to a paint store and get the sample strips and bring them home and determine exactly what paint colors are in the floor. I also wanted to say hold off on the drapery treatment if you are going to use any until you figure what furniture you will have.
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 10:09AM
Aja Mazin
Attached example of window and french door treatment is attractive, easy to maintain , and comes in virtually any color.

An arched window is a thing of beauty that should not be hidden.
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 10:34AM
Ann Eagles
thank you all! lots of decisions and work ahead.
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 1:21AM
leelee
This is for the people that have changed the Houzz site so that these really old Dilemmas are now popping up as if they're new. Here we are almost a full year(over a full year) later and this is treated as a new dilemma. What's up????
1 Like   February 3, 2014 at 5:07PM
anne dee
I notice(d) that too leelee!!!!!!!!
1 Like   February 3, 2014 at 5:13PM
leelee
It seems they're trying to relate a current dilemma to something that's old. Not a good change in the format for Houzz Dilemmas.
0 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 5:31PM
anne dee
Wow This dilemma goes back aways
it's too bad Aja doesn't post anymore
She was very colourful and insightful and a lot of fun!!!
I loved reading her posts and her interaction with other houzzers!!
Where are you Aja?
0 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 6:19PM