Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Bachelor Pad
Craig LoPresti
November 9, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Got a lot of empty space and bare walls. Looking for some design ideas to make it feel more full and comforting.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mpoulsom
Can we get another angle shot of the room? You may need to rearrange the furniture you have first thing....after that, def need some art on the walls and maybe a mirror somewhere. And a live plant would be nice for starters!! :)
2 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 11:01AM
Craig LoPresti
Here are more angles of the room.
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 11:25AM
PRO
ATGStores.com
Hey, Craig! When we see a blank wall in a self-described bachelor pad, we like to throw out the possibility of wall decals (http://decoruniverse.com/surface-collective_at9280.html). We know, everyone thinks they're for kids, but things have changed in design as well as ease of application and removal. We've selected a few we thought you may like given the space, although all come in different color schemes. Check it out to see what you think, and good luck!
3 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 11:27AM
PRO
Melissa Mascara Design
It'd be helpful to see another couple of shots of the room to get a sense of the size, as well as where the doors and windows are located.

You seem to have lots of large, dark furniture. If you're not willing to replace it, I'd move the sofa to one of the long walls over where the TV is now. Cover the wall behind the sofa with an over scaled wallpaper (image attached) to create a feature, and paint the rest of your walls in a pale, creamy grey (with a matte finish). Leave your ceiling and trim white.

Move your TV onto the wall where your chair is now. You could angle it into the corner or have it flat against the wall depending on how you position your chair and sofa for optimum TV viewing.

A larger rug and accent pillows will add color and warmth. A few plants in ceramic pots (large and small) will help with that, too. A framed mirror would look great (although NOT on the wall opposite your windows). A cool floor lamp and a single large-scale piece of art would be great for adding your personality to the space, too. Not sure what's covering your windows, but my guess is that its vinyl vertical blinds. Those are a no-no, absolutely. Some grommet top draperies (image attached) hung wider and higher than your windows will help a lot. Get rid of those folding chairs!

Have fun. Take chances!
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 11:34AM
Craig LoPresti
More angles. I just bought the furniture and I would like to work with the colors I have already if possible.
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 11:59AM
bezzi44
Can you find somewhere else to put the trash can? My eye is drawn to it immediately.
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 12:06PM
Craig LoPresti
I'd like to throw the trash can in the trash. ;)
3 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 12:08PM
charleee
I can understand why you have the long sofa in front of the window - it faces the tv, right? Makes sense, if glare isn't a problem. I would start by switching the placement of the chair and the table next to it. You may need to move the coffee table a bit.

Try replacing the table lamp shades with black: [houzz=
]

Get some wallpaper on the walls, the Woods wallpaper suggest above is great. Replace the vertical blinds, clean up some clutter (hang up your coat, don't put it on the dining room chair! C'mon, man!).
2 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 2:30PM
Judy M
It looks like your sofa is too close in color to the paint color on that window wall, it gets lost.

I would start with a larger area carpet, art work, a chandelier over the dining table. and definitely lose the trash can! LOL
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 2:42PM
mpoulsom
Does anyone think he may need to get a square coffee table instead of a rectangluar one...or even round for that matter? I feel like that chair is too big for trying to move it on that wall, but it needs to be moved it seems.
And my other question to you sir....does the tv have to stay on that wall? Is that where all your connections are, or can it be moved? This is a really hard layout because of all the openings and indentions, but something can be done!! don't give up up! I am almost wanting to say that you should move the couch with the back of it facing your dining room table, then move tv to the wall where chair and table are now, and moving the chair and ottoman to the window area diagonally towards the tv....with one of the side tables and lamp. And put the other side table and lamp to the left of the couch. Then something else like a table that was suggested above by olldbob on the wall where the tv is now! Does any of this make sense???
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 2:51PM
Craig LoPresti
Yeah, That sounds like a good layout. I'll give it a try and post the pics up.
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 2:58PM
mpoulsom
okie..check back later tater! I just think you need to get the furniture in the right place before you start doing accent walls, art and all of the fun stuff. Once you get panels/curtains on the window, that will cozy it up even more. :) If the lamp and table won't work on the left of the couch, try it to the right and move the other table with chair on the other side of it. Hopefully I'm making some sense in all my blabbering.
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 3:23PM
mjlb
I think you need a much larger rug -- at least 8 x 10, or 9 x 12. I would suggest one with more color, and an inconspicuous border. Based on what you already have, perhaps something like these (both from overstock.com). Maybe the rug will work with your wall color, but if not, you can then refine your wall color. I would also paint the baseboard the same color as the wall, as the white seems too jarring without crown molding in the room.

Crossing fingers that my images are not giant-sized...
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 9:17PM
mjlb
I'd also change the coffee table to something round, perhaps glass with metal edge to break up the too much the same table assortment.
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 9:20PM
Anne Gibney
I agree with mpoulsom! Move the sofa away from the wall and create the illusion of a separate space. Where you tv is now I would put a long rectangle table to create an entry space for keys, buffet for parties or even a bar.
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 1:02PM
tffaulhaber
Quick trip to Home Depot for some plants. Super easy & will make a big difference. And this plant you can't kill....I seriously water them once a month.
1 Like   November 10, 2012 at 2:41PM
PRO
SPKCreative Abstract Art www.spkcreative.com
Hi Craig,

I agree with the layout and plant advice. For the walls, how about a vividly cheerful abstract like
? You can also find options for commissioned works at http://www.spkcreative.com/thumbnail_list.php?mgd_id=168503#.UHs0wbTZqOI.

Best,
Shari

spkcreative@gmail.com

Holiday shop and do good at the same time:
50% of profits from the following sites from November 2, 2012 to December 31, 2012 will be donated to the Food Bank of Monmouth and Ocean in honor of Sandy Survivors:)

Shari P Kantor Abstract Art: http://www.spkcreative.com/
SPKCreative Fabric and Wallpaper Line: http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/spkcreative
SPKCreative Stationery Line: http://www.zazzle.com/spkcreative*
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 2:48PM
beccaqt7
I would go with a smaller chair- that one looks oversized for the space. And if you're willing to put the work in it, wainscoting around the room always adds great style and visual interest instantly
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 11:01AM
Natalie
Hi Craig---I would add bold art or a mural (see peacock pic) and change out the rug to something more graphic (pic #2) as most of your furnishings look contemporary and the floral rug is too traditional and is not really doing much for your space. Another color you could introduce is Sapphire/Royal blue and these lamps would be a super alternative to what you have.
Hope this is helpful... Good Luck! :)
http://www.muralsyourway.com/alexis-mural/
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hand-tufted-Mandara-Abstract-Wool-Rug-7-x-10/6561691/product.html
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Casa-Cortes-Costa-Azul-Table-Lamp-Set-of-2/6995915/product.html
[houzz="Blue Jinlu" Painting][houzz=Quill-5 Modern Chandelier]
3 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 12:34PM
Craig LoPresti
Could I use these types of colors use suggested with the wall color I have already, Natalie?
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 6:27PM
Natalie
Hi Craig---yes absolutely these colors would work well with your current paint color. The hue of your walls is in the rug as well as in the peacock mural. I know this palette might be a bit of a stretch as I can see you like warm earthy colors, but blue is in and will be in for a quite awhile. The yellow/brown/gray hues are nice and warm so they balance well with the blue. I thought this tile would look sharp in your kitchen as a backsplash=that is if you wanted to carry the colors throughout. It could be applied either horizontally or vertically... -CheerS![houzz=
]
2 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 7:03PM
houssaon
The indentations are really cutting into the space, but I guess you have to work with what you have. I would try some different layouts. One with the sofa on the wall where the chair is now and then the chair about where the sofa is, but on the right next to the dining room. If it fits, maybe the endtables can be on either side of the sofa.

How does the size of the dining room compare to the living room? Maybe you can switch functions.

How about a chandelier for the dining room? Can you keep the trash can in the kitchen?
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 7:08PM
Natalie
Hi Craig===Just ran across these while on etsy-more examples of the color palette I suggested. :) http://www.etsy.com/listing/105429172/large-abstract-painting-6-square?ref=usr_faveitems
2 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 12:56PM
dcer
Great suggestions Natalie- sooo perfect for the space! Are you an interior designer? :)
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 1:02PM
aprilmholland
Craig, I'm a pseudo-new homeowner too. I've found it MOST helpful to peruse this site room by room and just peg the ones that catch your eye. You'd be surprised how many patterns begin to emerge. These patterns are great footprints to understand the styles you're drawn to. While there are a lot of great points in the comments above, be aware of how easy it is to accidentally end up "too staged" if you simply buy two matching lamps because you know you NEED something. I struggled in the beginning when staring at empty walls - but am very glad that I channeled the patience to really pick out pieces that work for the space and for me. Focus on one area at a time and you'll get there! Best of luck and enjoy the new bachelor pad :)
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 1:17PM
Natalie
Hi dcer---thanks so much. I am a certified interior decorator CID and an artist.
Craig-excellent advice from april. Furnish your home with the things that appeal to you. I have several pieces in my home varying in style from rustic to modern--from exposed brick to metallic walls---one common thread??? The color palette is the same throughout. Now in regards to buying 2 matching lamps, if you favor symmetry, equal, pairs, etc. then absolutely without a doubt buy 2 matching lamps, (as you already have). My suggestions were from looking at what you already have in your space and adding some interest with color and pattern and showing you some examples. Hope this is helpful. :)
2 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 2:24PM
greengirl
Great ideas and comments here. But it's funny, all I could think of, beside the trash bin, is RUN don't walk for 2 new lamps. Something big and with color. Don't have to match.. Check out Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity ReStore, anything. And a few bright pillows or a throw.
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 2:43PM
Craig LoPresti
I like a lot of your suggestions Natalie. I really might go with the etsy suggestion you made earlier. Any ideas on layout? I think mpoulsom had a good layout.
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 8:07PM
Natalie
Hi Craig---I have a few questions for you before I can do a layout. First, where do you usually sit while watching TV? Second, when you entertain how many people do you accomodate? Third, what are your 3 favorite colors?
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 6:22AM
Craig LoPresti
1) I sit on the sofa facing the TV directly. 2) a max of 8 people so far. 3) Blues, Reds and the dark brown I have already such as chestnut as well as oak.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 9:59AM
TanCalGal
Place tables & silver lamps on each side of sofa. Place ottoman under coffee table. Angle large chair toward sofa. Large art centered on wall where chair is.
1 Like   November 13, 2012 at 8:34PM
Natalie
Hi---do you like either of these two rugs? If you do Rugs USA offers lots of coupons and free shipping. Pic for inspiration... Let me know your thoughts.
http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/orian-rugs-parker/multi/1301615-53076.htmlhttp://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/oriental-weavers-sphinx-2231a/multi/1322231A-110033.html[houzz=
]
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 9:14AM
Craig LoPresti
I like the rug on the right with the rectangles and circles design.
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 12:03PM
Craig LoPresti
The link above does not work, Natalie.
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 12:06PM
TanCalGal
Natalie + Craig: I think the links need natalie to add a 'space" between the "htmlhttp"
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 4:26PM
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 8:37PM
Craig LoPresti
Hey Natalie, you have any other ideas for rugs? The one I liked, is sold out in the size I want.
0 Likes   November 25, 2012 at 5:42PM
Craig LoPresti
Hey Natalie, you have any other ideas for rugs? The one I liked, is sold out in the size I want.
0 Likes   November 25, 2012 at 5:42PM
greengirl
If they list the name, do a search for it. Lots of companies carry the same stuff and are similar to RugsUSA. even lighting co carry rugs now.
0 Likes   November 25, 2012 at 7:14PM
Craig LoPresti
That works, thanks.
1 Like   November 25, 2012 at 7:30PM
Natalie
Hi Craig---found it on Amazon---http://www.amazon.com/Sphinx-Oriental-Weavers-Emerson-10-Inch/dp/B00432SVHU
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 4:16AM
PRO
Customized Walls
I love the peacock idea. I have some images that may work. Drop me a line at laurie@customizedwalls.com or check out my site: www.customizedwalls.com. I print custom wallpaper and wall murals. They are peel and stick fabric (not decals) so a bit higher end and can be a real focal point.
1 Like   December 3, 2012 at 5:05PM
bezzi44
Craig - any updated photos of any changes you've made on everyone's suggestions?
1 Like   December 5, 2012 at 7:52AM
Craig LoPresti
Not yet. I haven't figured out what I want and also many things are expensive and need to save my money for the holidays. But as soon as I get it done, I'll put them up.
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 11:28AM
bezzi44
Craig - did you move any furniture around? That's free. =) People love to see how the suggestions work out. I've posted pics along the way. It's an interesting journey for everyone. I've put my couch in almost every which way possible & posted pics. Still get good feedback.
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 1:27PM