Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Blue or Purple? Bedroom Paint Colour
Jess Dixon
November 9, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I'm trying to decide between a bold navy blue (I'll attach a picture of an example colour) and an bold dark purple. My bedroom is pretty big but also quite dark. It's painted a pale grey right now but I actually feel that the light colour makes the room look more drab. I believe that dark colours are more likely to liven up a dark space.

I'm planning to find a small dresser for the right side of the bed by the window and paint it a distressed Chinese red, unless I found a really nice darker beat-up wood one in which case I think I'd leave it as is.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jess Dixon
Sorry, hit post too early! More pics:

BTW: the weird dead tree farmhouse print (bought for the frame) is gone.
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 11:08AM
movethisnotthat
the purple ! nice frame BTW, have fun with your space !
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 11:15AM
marycifuentes
either would be amazing...my office is deep purple and I love it....nice room....i had deep purple curtains at one point, i loved them.....
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 11:19AM
14thstreet
Does your area rug have any purple in it? If not, I would go with the blue. Love both ideas though.
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 11:22AM
PRO
Bryce Engstrom: Architect
Don't paint the whole room. Keep the two adjacent walls that get the most direct sunlight a lighter color so that they reflect the light back into the room. Then color the other two adjacent walls. A dark color on all four walls will tend to make the space feel smaller, more compressed. Breaking up the color to just two walls will give it more dimension.
4 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 11:22AM
PRO
Time Travel Designs
I love, love the navy. Bryce is right unless you want it to feel more intimate. Taupe would be pretty with the bed wall a deep navy accent wall.
2 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 11:27AM
PRO
Kitchen Art of New England LLC
Here are a couple mock ups of what it might look like in either color! I have always liked dark bedrooms. But thats because I like to sleep at lot lol.

Hope this helps!
3 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 11:29AM
PRO
Kitchen Art of New England LLC
Here are a couple more. Best of luck!
4 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 11:47AM
Jess Dixon
Everyone's input is very much appreciated! My area rug has both blue and purple in it, although the major colour is red. I think either colour would look awesome which is why I'm so torn.

Kitchen Art, thanks so, SO much for the mock-ups! Those are incredibly helpful - I'd have no idea how to do them myself!
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 1:36PM
PRO
Inspired Interiors by Wendi, IIDA
I prefer the blue for a bedroom, as it is a restful, calm and soothing hue. Purple, on the other hand, is a more complex, attention-getting color.
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 2:13PM
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
I like how dark blue makes all the white seem brighter and more crisp. It's more dramatic!
2 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 2:24PM
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
Love the blue! The mock ups from Kitchen Art of New England LLC are very helpful!
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 2:41PM
Jess Dixon
I think I'm leaning towards the blue, although I love the purple too, as I already have purple sheets and the neat chair in the corner is upholstered in purple. I don't want it to blend in too much. Maybe the blue would also look nicest with a red dresser on the right side....?
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 6:01PM
dcer
I feel like a reddish purple would be the best for the space, and really tie in with the bedding. It would also warm up the space. It is great that you are not afraid of color! A dark bedroom is like a cocoon; so warm and comforting. Good luck!
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 7:18PM
anniebmw7
I agree with Bruce Engstrom, don't paint all your walls dark leave the adjacent sides of the wall that get more light the color you have now, and try painting first with the rest of the walls maybe on the darker purple side. dark blue,red and white would make your bedroom look too patriotic (flag colors,or little boy colors). The reds,and purples go very well together with the rest of the whites you have. Hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 7:51PM
anniebmw7
Looks as if you have purple sheets as well....
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 7:54PM
TanCalGal
If you are keeping the white framed art above the bed, nice white lamps are needed on the night tables. These new white lamps will help the look of the room even if you keep this same wall color. Also repeat one of the colors you see in the in the art with a small bed pillow (not the purple small pillow). A small pillow that repeats the art's color, but in a more subtle tone than found in the art, so the pillow does not compete with the art, but blends.
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 11:38AM
Sara Parker
I like it the way you started! Looks fresh to me. If you do choose Purple or blue, I would paint only the wall behind the bed. I would prefer a less dismal painting but like the white frame.
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 12:19PM
sawty
I've found that a dark colour on all of the walls has the opposite effect: our room actually appeared larger due to the receding nature of the dark colour. Go for it on all of the walls (definitely the blue). I'm not a fan of feature walls :)
1 Like   November 10, 2012 at 12:33PM
judianna20
Take a look at BM 1448 and 1449. As dcer suggested maybe a purple with red undertones would work. This is 1448, frozen in time.

0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 12:39PM
PRO
Time Travel Designs
I agree with Sawty. Dark colors are especially effective in bedrooms because they embrace you rather than leave you floating. Much more intimate. Navy FOR SURE and all walls is my vote.
2 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 12:43PM
arklein
Love the dark blue! That's a great "curl-up-and-stay-awhile" color!
1 Like   November 10, 2012 at 12:57PM
PRO
Schroeder Design Group, NCIDQ, Licensed
I like the blue better, with the white, more classic.

Suggestion; I would not add a Chinese red to this room, feels wrong with the blue walls, too hard, too many dark colors competing, too red/white and blue.
Maybe just white or silver grey instead, on the painted cabinet....a little color goes a long way.
I believe all walls should be in the same navy,,,, in the small room will be fine, all the walls will recede, instead of painting different wall colors....too much going on in a small room.
Bulk up the lamp, keep it light against the dark blue background and keep it shorter, but not short.
Change the bedding - look at hotel bedding ( see Restoration Hardware for inspiration ) for a classic skinny stripe, possibly the grey tone, on white. Or add a great pattern, like the upper right photo in blue/greys/whites. Frankly the upper right/blue room is good for a template.
Not sure if you're attached to the painting,,but a less bulky frame and a less green, more happy piece of artwork may be a better choice. Or a composition of white framed, but different sized black and white photos, a more personal touch.....
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 1:16PM
PRO
amydutton Home
I too like the blue - classic with white trim!
One comment was a suggestion to not paint all 4 walls and I agree. Think about painting the ceiling too, a lighter shade of blue.
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 1:56PM
PRO
Time Travel Designs
Okay...here's a navy rendering of your room with oatmeal ceiling, linens and Chinese red to pull in your area rug. I'm obviously on Team Navy...:)
1 Like   November 10, 2012 at 4:48PM
PRO
Time Travel Designs
Hi Jess:
Here's a wider view of the after photo...
1 Like   November 10, 2012 at 4:57PM
Jess Dixon
Wow, thanks for the mock ups jlraskin - you've made my bedroom look like a luxury hotel! It's gorgeous! I really love the navy you picked - the blue I had in my inspiration picture is definitely a bit TOO blue for me, but the one you chose is absolutely lovely.

And thank you so much for all the other suggestions as well. I think I'll be painting all four walls - it's actually a really big room (there's about another 6 feet to the left side of the bed that can you can't see in the photos), and I'm not afraid to make a big colour statement.

(As for the artwork, I know, it's TERRIBLY dismal! Don't worry, it's gone! I actually bought it only for the chunky frame but then couldn't figure out what I wanted to do with the print itself. I ended up painting over it one day with the same colour I painted my bathroom, just to get rid of the barn. Still haven't figured out what else to do with it. I don't tend to think much about art....I put up mirrors instead, lol)
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 11:46AM
Jess Dixon
jlraskin - I can't stop looking at that navy...it's so perfect, EXACTLY the colour I was going for! Did a particular paint colour inspire it?
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 11:49AM
PRO
Time Travel Designs
I pulled it from the Pantone Color Book, actually. Check RL or BM fan decks. I'm sure they will have a great navy. I'm obsessed with that color right now...not sure why. I agree, it looks great in a small space. So warm and inviting. Just as it should be. I "painted" the ceiling a nice tan, though. You might want to consider that and pull it through to the linens, etc.
You might want to check out Annechovie on Etsy. I love her work! Her name is Anne Harwell. I have attached an image. She does some darling stuff!!
Have Fun!
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 12:33PM
More Discussions
Slate appliances?
What does everyone think of the new Slate color from...
earthy kitchen and livingroom colours?
need colors for my kitchen and livingroom
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
Cheap kitchen Appliances Reviews
Cheap Kitchen Appliances. Try www . kitchenappliances...
Where to put color in my white kitchen
I live in a trailer I have a small eat in kitchen with...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.