Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
converting rod pocket drapes to pleated
cmswenson28
November 9, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I just purchased draperies that I love, but I do not like the rod pocket top. I wanted to take these to a tailor or someone who could convert them into a pinch pleat and sew 2 panels together. They are embroided silk interlined panels 50 inches wide and 108 inches long.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yvonnecmartin
Try to find a local shop or a local seamstress that makes custom drapes. They know how to sew drapes. It isn't hard to do this, but if you have no experience or sewing machine that is an obstacle!
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 12:26PM
PRO
PH Interiors, LLC
Hi, yes you will need a custom drapery fabricator to do this job. The number of pinch pleats depends on the final width of the drapery. In other words, if you want to cover 60" of window/wall (the length of your rod), then they will create pleats that will line up with that. Hope this is not too confusing. Good news is that they do this all the time so shouldn't be a big deal.
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 12:52PM
creeser
Call the dry cleaner or tailor shop and see if they could recommend someone that does this.
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 12:56PM
yvonnecmartin
You would need panels that are 2 1/2 to 3 times the width of your window for this. Two times would look skimpy, so make sure that you have enough width for this to work. If not, buy an additional panel.

There is a different skill set for tailoring clothing than for making drapes. Be sure that whomever you choose is experienced in making draperies. They will know how much ease to leave for the top so that the drapes will close properly if you use a traverse rod and if you need a weighted hem to make the pleats hang properly.
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 9:26PM
victorianbungalowranch
While we are on the subject of pinch pleats, is there a trick to putting the hooks back in? I've tried to line them up several times after putting them through the dry cleaning cycle and still not quite right--they are quite long to fit a 12' window, and the ends don't quite meet.
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 12:20AM
yvonnecmartin
Victorianbungalowranch, I'm not clear what you mean about the ends don't meet. Do you mean that they now aren't wide enough to meet? Perhaps the top, could be the backing, shrunk. Or do you mean that where they meet one hangs lower than the other? If this is the case, then the best that you can do is measure and put in the pins as seems best, then get on a ladder and adjust the pins so that the lengths match. Concentrate on having the one that hangs on top be the longer one, but the difference in lengths shouldn't be more than 1/4 inch. Were these custom made? If so, it might be that the panels are slightly different sizes to take care of small differences in the window framing. In such a case, hanging the panels on the opposite rod might help. A final thought, be sure that all the pins are pushed all the way down into the fabric. It is the hook part that is the critical distance from the top of the panel. You could do a quick measure to be sure that this distance is uniform before you do the more fiddly adjustments.
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 9:36PM
victorianbungalowranch
I don't know--the curtains are for a huge picture window and came with the house. They were custom made years ago. The final tab in the center of the rod where the curtain meets seems a little off--maybe it is crooked/bent and the spacing is different than the rest of the rod? And the whole thing is heavy and so hard to handle I've been relunctant to mess with it much more.

Plus we raised the rod (has built in slides and a cord to open and close) to make it feel higher and to stop blocking the heating baseboards, but had a hard time leveling it--brackets were level, but not the rod. Moved the rod brackets, but still a little off. Never had this kind of curtain before and it is too much window to change, and I do like them if I can get them to hang properly. We open and close the drapes every day.

Got the same in the back of the house and on a smaller window in the living room, but have been afraid to change after this mess!
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 8:41AM
yvonnecmartin
If the tab in the drapery rod is bent, you might be able to compensate for that by moving the pin on the panel a little bit.

I agree that such draperies are heavy and awkward to deal with. I suggest that you plan a time to deal with this when you are fresh, pick a willing partner-in-crime (in my case my daughter is much more interested than my husband so we help each other out on such tasks), and spend the time to get it right. Then celebrate with lunch out or a glass of wine. I'd help you if you live in Lake County, IL.
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 10:03AM
cmswenson28
Thank you all for the information. It was very helpful. I will definitely go to someone who knows how to sew draperies.
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 2:17PM
victorianbungalowranch
Thanks so much, the boys don't much care and it isn't top priority, but I look at them every day.. Sorry, I don't live nearby!
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 6:25PM
More Discussions
Family Room
I need guidance on wall art, area rug, and throw pillows....
jschlemm
Kitchen counter tops
We are getting ready to re-do the kitchen and after...
sunshineks
What do I do with this GAUDY Rococo Bedroom Set? Help
So, very good friends of mine moved to the Yucatan....
spencerbetz
Dilemmas without end.
Not exactly a design question, but is there a competition...
flopsycat1
Fireplace mantle too high?
Recently remodeled this fireplace, but it feels like...
lindseylulu00
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.