powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How do I decorate around this uncentered window?
gthalheimer
November 9, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I'm having a hard time figuring out how to decorate this window ledge in the foyer. The window is not centered so it's really throwing me off. I have a vase thrown up there, but I'm not sure where to go from here. Ideas?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
PH Interiors, LLC
I don;t know how whimsical you want to be but a papier mache animal head or two (one above the other) would be eye catching hung on the wall to the right of the window. See the link here for ideas.
http://www.rhbabyandchild.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=rhbc_prod379431

Also, I would remove the clock and put up a large horizontal print centered over the door. Trying to center anything on the whole wall is futile. You're fighting the strong architecture of the door and it looks a bit odd - why do builders do this to us??!!
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 1:16PM
mmilos
This is tough. I was thinking you could add a curtain rod across the whole wall width and disguise the off-centeredness with drapery panels. But your door is off-center too. I think you're on the right track with the vase...maybe something even larger and keep it asymmetrical. Center the clock over the door. or have nothing above the door. When it's centered, it draws attention that your window and door are off-center.
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 1:37PM
gthalheimer
Thank you both for the suggestions! I'm having a hard time finding pics of what others have done in this situation. However, you both have given me ideas that I can work with. Cheers!
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 1:58PM
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
I would say if you find a bigger vase that gives it a more fuller affect...it will take up more of that negative space and you won't be bothered as much by the off centered window. You could also place drapes up there and run it along the whole wall and then you won't notice that the window is off centered.
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 2:26PM
decoenthusiaste
Sue the architect and then search the box above for the phrase "off centered" to see lots of issues people have had with just such a dilemma. I'm sure you'll get an idea or two. Personally, I liked the papier-mache animal head idea, but would have them peaking out of a corner filled with tall African savannah looking grasses! Or you could mount Bermuda shutters outside (depending on your exterior style) or interior shutters that would appear as normal window decor from the outside. Then on the inside you can seal them up so no light leaks in and mount a canvas the entire size of the upper area. Have a custom mural or other art done by a local artist, university art professor or student. If not that, at least you'd have the light blocked out and could use drapery that covers all of it. As for the door issue, it would tend to fade away if it and the wall were painted the same color. Paint might be the cheapest fix. How does the outside look? Appears there is a wall immediately to the right which would eliminate opening the area for a double door that goes all the way across. Consider purchasing a door that would hang from the right side with a larger sidelight on the left. That would make the door appear more centered on the wall. It is the pair of sidelights that are supposed to balance that are drawing attention to the issue. Oversized trim that looks deliberate could help. Maybe do a slender wall of built-ins that will fill the open space on the right side and run the length of the foyer. Will make the foyer narrower, but could work. Another idea would be to install a floating shelf that runs the length and leaves the floor underneath open but gives the sense that it abuts the wall to the right on purpose. I think you should focus on making the goofy thing look like a deliberate architectural detail and enhance, rather than hide it. I know I suggested some way to hide it but they might be more expensive than just going with the lopsided flow. Keep tweaking!
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 2:45PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
great wall color, first I would take down the clock, then the vase! The key here is to let it be what it is, so I would ad a one-way-right draw drapery and pull it to the right. The stack of the drapery will will the drywall area to the right of the window. I would ad a valance arcross the top of the drapery and extend it wall to wall. The window now has a reason to be off center.... the interest of fabric should not be tooooo wild, or strong. We are not attempting to make this a major statement only soften the window and adress the problem thoughts?
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 2:46PM
iamchickaddd
I think removing the clock would help. The vase looks nice but maybe needs to be a tiny big wider and taller? Then maybe add basket or two...
2 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 3:29PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
NOOOOO the vase must go! dont go throwing a bunch of dust collectors up there.....they will just draw attention ..........put the money where it will be important
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 3:32PM
iamchickaddd
Or not ;-)
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 3:45PM
stoner0818
I don't even think I would notice it if it wasn't for the clock. If you relocate the clock to a different spot in the house, and add some greenery to the top right, i think it will help a lot. Beautiful entryway!
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 3:49PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
I'd also remove the unbrella stand and the iron mirrow.....use something stronger.....remember to decorate not just furnish!
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 3:58PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
I'd also remove the unbrella stand and the iron mirrow.....use something stronger.....remember to decorate not just furnish!
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 3:58PM
Anna
I would use prints on the side of the window, or small shelves floor to ceiling
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 4:03PM
Anna
I would use prints on the side of the window, or small shelves floor to ceiling
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 4:03PM
More Discussions
master rooom
i want to adjust bed room, bathroom, dressing rooom,...
Looking for ideas for living room and dining room
I am looking for help on redoing my living room and...
master rooom
i want to adjust bed room, bathroom, dressing rooom,...
How to light this dining room?
When I look on Houzz at Dining Room lighting, very...
Bathroom ideas
Adding a brand-new bathroom and trying to decide if...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.