powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help in my dining room/living room!!!
cjiden
November 9, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I need to add some color to my diningroom/ living room. The two rooms are connected so I would like to continue the color in both. Its very "blah" and is basically cream and brown and some silver. I have dark brown buffet and table in the dining room, and brown couches in the living room. Please help!!! The rest of my house is neutral as well so I really need some "pop" of color but not sure which direction to go....
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lauraa99
First off, you have a beautiful table and chairs! I would put a rug under the table for a pop of color and perhaps paint the walls. I think even a light khaki would stand out against your white chairs, but it all depends on how bold you want to go. I also think a blue like this:
would be nice. Good luck!
3 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 5:47PM
Becky Drury
Window treatments in the DR and paint the ceiling a different color
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 6:07PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I'd probably leave the wall colors alone and add some VERY large art to the dining room, of the size you have in the living room. You're evidently not afraid of large and bold art, but you ARE shying away from color. So bring on the colorful art. Add pillows in the living room of the colors in the art. I'd be more inclined to add a colorful rug to the living room than to the dining room. Then I'd add floor to ceiling draperies in a color on the dining room window.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID California Maison Hillgrove Project
4 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 7:00PM
dcer
I would add colorful, large art, decorative pillows, patterned drapery, and throw rugs to define the living and dining spaces. You are off to a great start!
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 7:10PM
Darzy
I like everybody's suggestion of colorful art and pops in accessories. But, I also like a monochromatic space and it looks like you do too! It can work beautifully. Subtle patterns, "silk" drapes, glass coffee table, "sparkly" and textural items make a monochromatic room stunning.

0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 7:23PM
anniebmw7
A colorful rug,drapes or paint on walls is the way to go with the color of your furniture and items, I suggest you go with an orange color wall with the browns,grays and creams you have going on that would be really nice. Or instead a green rug or nice green color drapes would look nice. Hope this helps.
GOOD LUCK
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 7:38PM
eckjunebug
I like the neutral color palate. First thing I would do is add window treatments. I like the idea of keeping them somewhat neutral too, but with a pattern or texture for interest. I'd try moving your living room furniture off the walls, adding a coffee table and then adding a color splash with accessories (in those pretty glass vases on dining table) and on the coffee table as well.
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 1:16AM
PRO
The Lady Decorator
if art isn't your thing why not use a statement wall paper on only two walls, one in the dinning area and one in the sitting room ( same side)
and pick out the colours for your accessories ie cushions,curtains, vases etc. Your sitting area looks very dark, maybe you could consider a large mirror to reflect some light back into the room
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 1:41AM
inkwitch
Don't feel that you have to have color if you love your monochromatic scheme. YOU are the jewel in this setting (and I"m assumng you're a woman), so if you wear color when you entertain, you will provide all the color that room needs. Remember: rooms are just cluttered spaces until you add people. This space is incredilbe, and your taste and choices are dead-on.

Having said that, I can see a mostly black and cream rug under the table which would anchor it and the cream chairs. (Another one in the living room would pull all that furniture together as well. Not the same pattern, and perhaps mostly cream.) All your windows are bare, possibly by choice, but patterned draperies in the dining area would be attactive. THe same thing doesn't have to repeat in the living room. I can see plantation shutters there. The table would appear more "dressed" with a table runner, something you can change with the seasons, as well as the table decorations.

Remember: sometimes more is just more. (I think that' a line from a movie!)
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 4:47AM
inkwitch
If you get a rug for the dning room, make sure it's big enough. There are guidelines somewhere on houzz (or some designer will chime in) which indicate what they are.
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 4:49AM
feeny
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 5:19AM
Patricia MacDonald
You have lovely furniture and all is arranged so it looks comfortable and inviting - but - your rooms look like store showrooms, waiting for something to happen. Sorry, but anyone can do monochromatic beige. Try some bold colour on the end wall of your dining room (with the window). It's the fastest, cheapest and easiest way to liven up the space and add some fun. Life is too short for boring. I would paint it a deep coral or cherry red, and then add some small accessories in the same colours (like candles, flowers, pillows) to visually connect the two spaces and underscore the drama. I have lived with bold colours for years - and find it wonderful. Good luck!
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 5:52AM
trc59
Love what you have done here. Just need some drapries hung to the ceiling in a silk duponi to had another layer of texture. Then maybe some candles added to the table. Even tone on tone walpaper in the dining room one or two walls.
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 5:53AM
anitajoyce
Lovely rooms. Love the dining and livingroom set. You have lots of contrast in the space. The chairs look so comfy. In the living room, move the loveseat and have it face the sofa. Move the chair and small table beside the window (on the right) . . A nice rug with beige, tan brown (And maybe a third color like light blue, orange or rust in it) would be nice accent. Add a coffee table and place a big coffee table book on top along with candles or a small plant and book. Place another end table on the left of the sofa and add lamps with white shades. Switch the white round pillow with the zebra print for the sofa. The white stands out too much on the sofa. The white round pillow is better suited for the chair. . Both rooms could use panels or drapery with brown, beige or tan, (panels in rust, orange or blue would be a ncie pop of color also).

THE dining carpet makes the space feel warm without adding a rug. Remove the glassware from the table and add a vase of flowers and a group of candles or a small plant and candles. Remove the tall white thing from the side table and place the glassware from the dining table there or place a small plant or a colorful vase there instead. On the left wall add a big picture of abstract art or a big flower picture. Place a snake plant in each corner by the window in dining room also. You could also move the mirror and side table to the other side of the room and add the big picture on the right side of the table to be in line with the living room picture.
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 6:15AM
arklein
I think a rug in the dining room would define the separate area without closing anything off, so even if you stay neutral, I think a rug will help things tie together. I also agree with a lot of the comments above about deciding if you want to stay neutral in general and just add removable color, or invest in a great statement piece of art that would help you decide what other colors to throw in. You can use pillows and other table decor (like floral on dining table or other accent pieces) to inject small doses of color that can be changed out as you like. You have done a beautiful job, so just decide how much "pop" you want and either a large rug or piece of art will tell you which colors to go with. Floor length panels on the windows in whatever color you want to add would finish it off nicely. (Sage, plum, rusty oranges, or maybe turquoise, are the colors that come to mind as a possible accent choice)
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 2:22PM
Sara Parker
Keep it neutral and just add accessories in colours as you or the seasons change. Lovely rooms.
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 2:37PM