Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help decorating this area.
ourhannah
November 10, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I previously had plants (fake) hanging in this area but grew tired of the look and the dust accumulated. Would love your suggestions!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
feeny
Good heavens, what a bizarre structure! My best advice is to take it down. It seems completely unnecessary and architecturally distracting in an otherwise lovely room. You want to show off your beautiful windows and high ceilings.
November 10, 2012 at 5:38AM     
charleee
There's a lot of natural light from the upper windows, why not add something pretty to reflect the light? [houzz=
]
November 10, 2012 at 5:59AM     
Le Java Woodwork
Hi, if the columns are not weight supporting, its better to take it down, if not then leave it.

I would use wood paneling to cover them and add down spot ligts to the dining area. Whats the strucure to the left? With exposed molding?
November 10, 2012 at 6:06AM   
charleee
Where are you located? It is an odd layout, was it a custom home?
November 10, 2012 at 6:07AM   
creeser
I am with feeny on this. That structure is bizarre and should be just taken down. Should be easy as it's nothing structural to it.
November 10, 2012 at 6:16AM     
mpoulsom
wonder if it holds duct work or electrical wiring? If it does and has to stay, the beaded type curtain that olldbob has shown, may look cool hanging from the ceiling in the open squares?
November 10, 2012 at 6:37AM     
charleee
mpoulsom, exactly! Plus if you take it down there will be repair work to the ceiling and walls, right?
November 10, 2012 at 6:38AM     
creeser
Since one end is an exterior wall, and with the angels, I doubt it holds ductwork. As for the repairs, a little sheetrock mud, sand and paint.
November 10, 2012 at 6:42AM     
Aja Mazin
The odd structure is meant to "define" the dining area.
November 10, 2012 at 6:46AM     
anitajoyce
If possible, you could have the structure removed. It doesn't do anything for the room.
November 10, 2012 at 6:49AM   
ourhannah
Located in south Florida and yes this is a custom built home (1992). Can't imagine I signed off on this structure, must have been one of the builders signature features! Will continue to seek ideas.
November 10, 2012 at 6:52AM   
feeny
Well, neon lights would "define" the dining room too, but that doesn't mean they are a good idea. ;-)
November 10, 2012 at 6:57AM     
lionscale
If removing it is not an option at this time then I think you should paint the two walls it was linked to the same neutral color as the structure. Then change out the hanging light to something darker and a bold, interesting design so the eyes are drawn there instead of the structure. The other light that is closer to the ceiling needs to be replace with a pot-light as it competes with the structure and looks out of place. I am also thinking the white crown molding over to the left should be painted the same as the green wall it's on. You have too many things drawing your eyes up to the ceiling and they are all competing with eachother. Keep the focus on the beautiful windows and a great lighted dining area. Keep us updated on what you decide to do. I bet it's a beautiful home!!
November 10, 2012 at 7:22AM   
lionscale
I forgot to mention the vent in the ceiling. We have a similar one in our home and I cut a white furnace filter to fit on the inside. The air could still flow through and it eliminated the dark areas in the venting that make it stand out too much. We also painted it a flat white so it blended in the ceiling better. You can't get rid of it but you can make it less noticeable.
November 10, 2012 at 7:25AM   
PRO
BeautifulRemodel.com
Hi ourhannah,

As a GC who's done a lot framing and structural work, there is no way that this is supporting anything. The ductwork is in the ceiling. I agree with Aja that it was intended to emphasize the dining area. Removing it is quite easy, you'd need to cut the horizontal sections up first, then remove the vertical sections once those are gone. The remaining drywall holes can easily be patched and painted. This is a two-person project, and I would recommend you use a licensed GC for the deconstruction.

If you're looking to emphasize the dining room in another way, that could be accomplished with an inlay in the flooring etc

Steve
November 10, 2012 at 7:48AM     
feeny
I think taking it down actually will be less expensive than some of the other, more temporary "camouflage" solutions suggested.
November 10, 2012 at 7:49AM     
collachi
If for some reason you don't want to take it down, you can add arches to the openings that match the windows.
November 10, 2012 at 8:14AM   
collettec
I agree that removing it would be a good choice. It appears they did it to define this small tucked away area that appears to be more of a dining nook, than a dining room. You could define the area by painting the nook a different color or stenciling or wallpapering it, to have it stand out as a distinct dining space.
November 10, 2012 at 8:15AM   
Aja Mazin
Do I get a prize or something?
November 10, 2012 at 9:00AM     
Natalie
I do like things that are unexpected in a space-but this is just BAD. Remove it.
November 10, 2012 at 9:21AM   
PRO
BeautifulRemodel.com
Aja - Yes you do get a prize! You get to keep the funky wooden structure once its removed :p
November 10, 2012 at 9:21AM     
greenthumb2
The cap on the left, the windows, the hanging lamp, the mirrored hutch, the windows right, and the rattan are creating a whirl. If it must stay; agree with many in making it the same color as the walls and you can run sisal or nice looking bamboo all the way around it creating a custom look. vertical or horizontal. Done right it will be beautiful, thrown together may not work at all. Would be in keeping with a more intimate space with an island feel. I will look for an example photo.
November 10, 2012 at 9:27AM   
greenthumb2
http://www.bambooandrattan.com/catalog/wallcovering
I was actually thinking of slats or actual poles but bac-back is pretty/
If you like the idea of using bamboo or rattan; hire someone to install it just the way you want it. Can be hard to work with for a DIY.
realize this is a stretch of an idea. best of luck whatever the direction you go.
November 10, 2012 at 9:43AM   
Aja Mazin
oh goody, Steve!
November 10, 2012 at 9:53AM     
arklein
Taking it down wins hands-down! ;). It'll open the whole space up and make it so much cleaner and I agree with the consensus that it shouldn't be a big construction deal, little patching and painting and it'll be a new space!
November 10, 2012 at 1:31PM   
Aja Mazin
Good work Team!!!

Another alien structure identified and destroyed.
November 10, 2012 at 1:47PM     
Linda Stewart_Ryder
I have seen this kind of structure before...the home had panels of opaque glass added.....that an option is if you want to keep it to define the space.
November 10, 2012 at 2:36PM   
houssaon
This is weird.
November 10, 2012 at 2:42PM