Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
my living room dilemma
stephanie
November 10, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hey guys, I am back agian as you can see in these updated pics im finally putting my living room together, Theres not to many options and finally this one is one most well suited, My ocd is kicking and I have some questions I would like to ask,,,,
1, Should I move the carpet by the tv, horizontal or vertical?
2, Should I leave the couch in front of the play area or move it back next to the storage drawer? and allow a bigger play area .
3.Will the carpets look funny if the other carpet is set diff than the play area carpets are set, i have two on this area and one by the tv, the ones by the play area can only be vertical because there so big and cover most area,
4, last but not least we are planning to buy new couches and coffee table, would a circle table and sectionals work? I like the open floor plan style,,,i and i f i do saucer like chairs in the play area should i get end tables for drinks and such, thanks so much for anyones input!

stephanie
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dcer
1. The carpet should be moved horizontally in front of the sofa. It will just look better.
2. Move the couch that someone is sitting on in the photo closer to the seating arrangement, so that it faces the TV.
3. Just place the carpets the way that it makes the most sense to you and your lifestyle. Also, visually, you will be able to tell when something doesn't look right.
4. I think that a sectional would definitely work better and look better. A circular table would definitely work as well, especially since you don't want your baby to bump its head on a sharp corner! If you have space, an end table with a lamp would also work.
Good luck!
1 Like   November 14, 2012 at 1:12PM
Leigh Durand
Instead of a coffee table consider an large rectangular ottoman. You can put a tray on top for drinks if you want or put your feet up when you watch tv and no ouchies for the babies.
1 Like   November 14, 2012 at 1:19PM
decoenthusiaste
As long as both your sofas have their front feet on the carpet, put it the way that feels best to you. The sofa's do need to form an "L" though. That will give more space for the play area, so you may want to pull that rug out further. Pretend you have two "rooms" here and that the door frame on the play side is the "wall" you can't see. When you center the play area rug, keep the invisible wall in mind as you adjust the rug. It won't matter that the second sofa sits in front of that door, so no worries.
2 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 1:20PM
houssaon
Is the crib by the front door? Is that where the baby sleeps at night? Would it work to move that to the area where the TV is now?
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 1:59PM
dcer
Good idea, Leigh! I completely forgot about ottomans!
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 2:22PM
Leigh Durand
If you decide on an ottoman, choose a durable fabric, my kids, dogs, guests and grandkids put mine to the test!
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 2:46PM
PRO
ATGStores.com
Hi, Stephanie! We agree with Leigh and Dcer that you could get more use out of a multi-functional ottoman/coffee table (http://www.atgstores.com/leather-or-fabric-topped-coffee-tables_1021.html?&option0=optionA=144178|8198~Valu)! We've selected a few images to give you an idea, but there are lots of options. Good luck!
1 Like   November 14, 2012 at 2:55PM
PRO
Stamps Design Services
Yes, pull love seat into the grouping, Either in an L or accross from sofa. J C Penney has a upholstered ottoman that would probably work well with your furniture and rug http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/printed-cocktail-ottoman-by-jamar/prod.jump?ppId=18bb645&cmvc=JCP|dept20000011|cat100240019|cat100240020|RICHREL&grView=&eventRootCatId=¤tTabCatId=®Id=
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 4:42PM
PRO
Stamps Design Services
Perhaps in the silas rasin or the st regis smoke, but they do have a variety of choices!
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 4:45PM