Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Bedroom makeover for new place needed
Terri Haller
November 10, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Moving next week, want a blue bedroom. Only windows are those in photos, there is an air conditional outside one window. Thinking about top down blinds but open to suggestions on window treatments. My furniture is dark cherry, Pennsylvania. Carpet is off white. Want a crystal chandelier. Any ideas welcome and advise on where to get treatments and lighting
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Aja Mazin
Use blues and replace fan w. chandelier.

Items can be bought at local stores or online.
November 10, 2012 at 2:21pm   
PRO
SPKCreative Abstract Art www.spkcreative.com
Hi Terri,

Try Murano Chandeliers, YLighting or LampsPlus for the chandelier.

For the window treatments, maybe fabric like

Best,
Shari

Holiday shop and do good at the same time:
50% of profits from the following sites from November 2, 2012 to December 31, 2012 will be donated to the Food Bank of Monmouth and Ocean in honor of Sandy Survivors:)

Shari P Kantor Abstract Art: http://www.spkcreative.com/
SPKCreative Fabric and Wallpaper Line: http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/spkcreative
SPKCreative Stationery Line: http://www.zazzle.com/spkcreative*
November 10, 2012 at 2:26pm   
houssaon
Here is an inspiration: Oakley Home Builders These are pretty window treatments: Sitting Area I also like that they pulled the pale blue of the walls to the ceiling. Very pretty.
November 10, 2012 at 2:53pm   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I would start by finding your bedding so that you'll be able to match your blue paint to the shade of blue in the bedding. I like Bed Bath & Beyond's Barbara Barry bedding set and would suggest you get the coverlet in off white: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=202292 . I'd get 3 of the Euro shams also in same color. Then I'd go looking for a blue fabric to make a couple of standard shams. I'd get enough of the fabric to make a matching throw for the foot of the bed.

You could, of course, do a blue coverlet. I like the idea of the white one as offering flexibility if you want to change your accent pillows.

For your chandelier, you'll need one in the 27-30" width range and should be able to find a nice crystal one for under $500.
November 10, 2012 at 3:14pm   
smldesigns
Agree with Carolyn- you will make your life a lot easier by choosing the bedding first and the wall color and window treatment colors from the bedding. Don't buy an entire set though. Choose some accent pillows or Euro pillows that coordinate or are either next to color on the color wheel or opposite. Pull the drapery color from the bedding also. However I would put the rods about 8 inches higher than the window trim and have the rod extend 6 to 8 inches out past the window trim on the sides. Restoration Hardware has some nice drapery panels - I'm thinking silk with cherry and the crystal. I would put some sort of blind or shade inside the window. Also don't skimp on the rods. Pottery Barn has some nice rods with rings also. Try Shades of Light for chandelier. use at least 5 pillows on the bed. What style is your furniture? What wall will you put the bed on?
November 10, 2012 at 3:34pm   
Terri Haller
Furniture is traditional and large. I've been shopping for fabric or duvet but nothing close to the colors I want. Color is 2132-50 from Benjamin Moore, trim is OC-17.
November 10, 2012 at 4:04pm   
Terri Haller
Thanks Housman, exactly the idea I'm thinking of.
November 10, 2012 at 4:06pm   
smldesigns
Terri,
I'm attaching a not so good picture of one of our bedroom windows. I bought Belgian linen on Ebay. If you can sew, you're ahead of the game. My walls are blue and the bedding is blue.
November 10, 2012 at 4:25pm   
PRO
With the beautiful slate blue that you've selected for your walls, you should plan on finding fabric to be custom made into pillows for your bed, plus a throw at the foot of the bed. If you buy the Barbara Barry bedding that I suggested above, I believe that there are matching draperies available.
November 10, 2012 at 5:39pm   
smldesigns
If you go with the Barbara Barry bedding, ignore my comment on the linen draperies, but I would look for something other than BB draperies - it might be too matchy matchy. Find something equally elegant for draperies.
November 10, 2012 at 6:35pm   
Terri Haller
Since it may be hard to find the perfect fabric now, what are your thoughts about a creamy/ white duvet or coverlet. Same color blinds but go for the perfect fabric for windows, pillows, throw when it hits me? I have been on hundreds of sights and stores looking at bedding but nothing jumps out yet except those beautiful fabrics with tone on tone.
November 11, 2012 at 5:46am   
Sara Parker
Go with a white or cream fluffy down duvet and cover until you find what you really want.
November 11, 2012 at 6:45am   
PRO
What kind of tone on tone fabrics are you referring to? If they are beautiful, why not start there? What color are they?
November 11, 2012 at 7:03am   
Terri Haller
First of all,'thank you so much for your advise and comments Ok!!! I bought Barbara Barry "curtain call" duvet online through Ruelala today and got a smoking deal. No shams or bed skirt though (sold out). Think I should go with white or blue bed skirt and accent pillows, window treatments? Would it look good to still paint it a very light blue as mentioned above? I also found the exact crystal chandelier I saw on this site from Overstock.com (thanks to you for your advice On the size) Now I'm on hunt for window treatments and a bench for the foot of the bed!
November 12, 2012 at 6:53pm   
PRO
City Girls Decor
I have some cute Ikat blue bed pillows in my Etsy shop. I've attached an example. Good Luck with your room and I love that chandelier!
November 12, 2012 at 7:03pm   
smldesigns
So glad you settled on a couple of things. I looked at Ruelala and couldn't find your duvet, but I found it on Swanky Outlet. It's beautiful. I wouldn't go ahead with your paint selection until you get the duvet in hand. Then decide. On my monitor it looks like they have painted the room gray. This may be a stupid question, but do you have the kind of bed that you need a bed skirt? I would love to see you add something velveteen to the room - perhaps the bench or additional pillows. And maybe something silk. Keep us posted.
November 12, 2012 at 7:07pm   
Terri Haller
I got it during their Styleathon sale that only lasts 12 hours, then they pull it. $80!!! Velveteen, I like that idea and yes I need a bed skirt, I've been looking all night for something. I will look at Swanky outlet. I truly appreciate your help.
November 12, 2012 at 7:13pm   
smldesigns
Again don't hurry with the bed skirt - you may want to pull either the blue or grey from the duvet once you get it. I know nothing about Swanky - I just googled your duvet and it came up. If you sew you know how hard it is to get a decent bed skirt. Also look The Company Store website.
November 12, 2012 at 7:22pm   
Aja Mazin
Barbara Barry "Curtain Call" Pillow Sham and bed skirt are available on Amazon and Swanky.
November 12, 2012 at 8:45pm