powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need Help Choosing Marble surround for fireplace!
markeyp
November 10, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I just had a beautiful custom built-in wall unit built for my fireplace and flat screen TV. I'm having trouble deciding what color marble surround to chose around the fireplace. The entire wall is white with the exception of the black gas fireplace insert and the TV above it (not installed in the picture yet). My floor is a wood looking porcelain tile. My choices are either cappuccino onyx (sample included in the picture), dark emperador brown marble or Michael Angelo black and gold marble. The stone surround will only be 4.5" wide on both sides and the top, it's kind of narrow. So I'm struggling with choosing the lighter colored onyx which matches my wallpaper color and blends with the lighter tones; or the black and gold marble which blends with the black fireplace but also has veins of white and brownish gold; or just be safe with the dark emperador. The attached images are of my living room, but it is still incomplete and being worked on. The large TV in the center of the room will be removed when we get the flat screen installed. I also have a Natuzzi leather sofa on order in Oregon Brown (Cuoio) if that helps. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
markeyp
Here is a picture of the Michael Angelo marble and the Cappucino Onyx.
November 10, 2012 at 4:58pm   
markeyp
I would also like to ask if I should add a matching marble shelf above the fireplace mantel? It has been painted white and doesn't really need it, but I thought it might be nice. It would match whatever marble I choose around the front of the fireplace.
November 12, 2012 at 6:51am   
Aggie Purvinska
I like the Michelangelo, it will work better with the fireplace and will not be too matchy with the wall. Great unit! Congrats!
November 12, 2012 at 6:55am   
markeyp
Thanks, that was my first choice also! What about adding a matching marble shelf on top of the fireplace mantel?
November 12, 2012 at 7:01am     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Michel Angelo. No shelf.
November 12, 2012 at 7:29am   
markeyp
Thanks Carolyn! Can I ask why you think the shelf would be a bad idea?
November 12, 2012 at 7:36am   
Aggie Purvinska
Yeah, that's an interesting idea, go for it.
November 12, 2012 at 7:37am   
PRO
If the entire fireplace surround were marble, then the top of the mantle would be marble. But the fireplace surround is not marble, it's white painted wood. It's one of those design things where I just think it wouldn't look right. And if you did the top of the mantle, why then would you not do the countertops on the cabinets? I'm not violently opposed to it. I just think I wouldn't like it. Let's see what others have to say.
November 12, 2012 at 7:45am   
markeyp
Oh, I see. Yes, I agree that then the other 2 adjacent counter-tops should also be marble. Then it might look more like kitchen cabinets also.
November 12, 2012 at 8:07am   
PRO
I wouldn't want my living room to look like my kitchen. Here's a picture of a granite top on a mantel. I would have preferred it without the granite. What do you think?
November 12, 2012 at 8:31am   
markeyp
I'm sorry, but I don't see a link to the picture you mentioned.
November 12, 2012 at 8:35am   
PRO
Oops! Sorry about that. Here it is.
November 12, 2012 at 8:45am   
markeyp
Yes, in this particular case I agree, since the mantel is so high, you can't even really see the granite. But in my case, the mantel is much lower, and would be more visible.
November 12, 2012 at 9:13am     
greenthumb2
If you must keep the unit white, I'd like to see some color on the back walls of the built in. A brown to match the michel angelo would be stunning. that is outstanding granite.
November 12, 2012 at 9:26am     
greenthumb2
Is the Michel Angelo quarried? So curious.
November 12, 2012 at 9:29am   
markeyp
Yes I think so. I am getting from my marble and stone distributor. He has a slab that he's cutting my pieces from.
November 12, 2012 at 9:47am   
markeyp
Any more comments regarding whether I should add the marble shelf to the fireplace mantel?
November 13, 2012 at 6:22am   
greenthumb2
I say yes if you think people will get close to it and use it. I mean, if you entertain and people are drawn to the fireplace, they may stand there with their food/drink plate and there would be a beautiful and obviously great place to set down their drink or plate to continue the conversation.

I have found that even at bar height cabinets, granite shelves are seen and admired. However, the rounded edge is a bit pricey if you haven't had it budgeted. Things like that have a way of adding up. I would do a round edge, but that is me. I would also then place one shelf on each of the lower left and rights. ching, ching. :=) hope this doesn't frustrate. I love your granite. Just make sure the new case can hold the extra weight if you also planned on placing books on the bottom shelves.
November 13, 2012 at 2:46pm   
markeyp
Just wanted to give an update on my wall unit marble selection with some completed pictures. Thanks for all your suggestions and help everyone!
January 20, 2013 at 10:48am     
favoritegram
Looks beautiful, love your built in
January 20, 2013 at 11:02am   
PRO
Ingrained woodworking Inc
That came out really nice. I like how the discussions and suggestions led to the final.
January 20, 2013 at 11:30am   
kmhbt
May I ask how high your mantel is? The TV doesn't look as high as some over the fireplace televisions do.
January 20, 2013 at 12:03pm   
markeyp
Thanks so much. My mantel is 43" high. I custom designed it with a smaller ventless gas fireplace knowing I didn't want the TV mounted too high.
January 20, 2013 at 12:47pm   
kmhbt
What a great idea! How big of a TV were you able to use? I wish I had thought of that!
January 20, 2013 at 1:52pm   
markeyp
My TV is a Panasonic plasma 50" TV.
January 20, 2013 at 3:45pm   
kmhbt
Perfect size for that space. Thanks so much for sharing.
January 20, 2013 at 4:31pm   
vacox
Nice. It was just suggested to me to add a marble layer over our mantel top, to match the existing marble surround. For us, this would extend and give depth to the existing mantel. Yours looks great!
April 11, 2013 at 4:18pm      Thanked by markeyp